Menu

IEW All Things Fun Lesson 3

mom31257

Ds was to read a fable/story, write a key word outline of the story, then write it in his own words. Certain verbs were banned, so I had him write it and go back and replace those banned verbs with other choices. I also had him correct spelling/capitalization errors.

Belling the Cat

Once upon a time there was a family of mice that had a big house. When the people slept, the mice dashed into the kitchen to eat the food. One day the family brought home a cat. Whenever the mice ran out, the cat ate them.

"We need to do something about that cat," the mice chattered.

One little mouse squeaked, "We need to tie a bell around the cat's neck."

"Good idea," they all yelled.

The oldest and wisest one of them all asked, "And who will tie the bell around the cat's neck?" No one talked any more.

I agree. He followed the rules, well done!

It came out quite funny, I thought. In a good way. Did he have fun with it?

Does he have a thesaurus for other verbs? Or the list in ATF&F to look at? Next "strong verb" assignment, it could be fun to play more with the verbs and see how it can sound with different choices. Funny. Serious. More or less active.

I agree. He followed the rules, well done!

It came out quite funny, I thought. In a good way. Did he have fun with it?

Does he have a thesaurus for other verbs? Or the list in ATF&F to look at? Next "strong verb" assignment, it could be fun to play more with the verbs and see how it can sound with different choices. Funny. Serious. More or less active.

He really didn't enjoy it until we got to the part of replacing words with strong verbs. He is struggling most with KWOs. He gets so bogged down in which 3 words to use that I'm still helping him with that part. These verbs he came up with all by himself. I do plan on printing out the student ebook that will have lists of them, and I think trying various styles would be fun.

• 1 year later...

My daughter just finished this assignment today.  I am going to share with her your son's story in the morning.  Did you post all of your lessons?  I would love to see what other kids have done with the material!

I don't think I posted very many because we actually didn't finish the program. A group of mom's wanted to try the Student Writing Intensive, so we all got together and tried the student workshop in TWSS. I switched ds to SWI-A to do it with the group. Our co-op used it last school year, and this year we are using US History Volume 1.

You might could start a thread or social group asking people to share their work from AFF.