Menu

Science options for ages 6-10

lorrainejmc

I am looking for a science curriculum for my 3 kids aged 10, 8 and 6. My dd (10 yrs) has just finished Apologia Flying Creatures. My dsx2 listened in from time to time but mostly I have been reading Lets Read and Find out Science books with them. Dd enjoyed Apologia but I didn't and I would like something a little less intense (more fun:tongue_smilie:) that I could combine all 3. I need it to be planned out or it won't get done and I would prefer secular.

:bigear:

I think Mr. Q would work well for you. The Life Science year is free and he's currently running a 50% off sale on the other years if that doesn't interest you. http://eequalsmcq.com/HolidaySale2012.htm I think Life and Earth are recommended for ages 7-10 and and Chemistry and Physical are 8-12. Something like that anyway!! We are using Life right now for ages 6 and 8 and will use Earth next year.

I think Mr. Q would work well for you. The Life Science year is free and he's currently running a 50% off sale on the other years if that doesn't interest you. http://eequalsmcq.com/HolidaySale2012.htm I think Life and Earth are recommended for ages 7-10 and and Chemistry and Physical are 8-12. Something like that anyway!! We are using Life right now for ages 6 and 8 and will use Earth next year.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We love, love, love Mr. Q Life and are looking forward to Mr. Q Earth next year (I printed it out yesterday and it looks great!)

Education Exploration has been great for us. My kids were 10 and 11 when we started it but they have 3 different levels than span multiple grades. There is no planning involved. The lessons are on the computer and can be read altogether. A set of supplies for experiments come with the program. It has been a great way to take some of the pressure off of me during the school day and the kids love to do it.

I am interested in Mr. Q physics.

We are doing RSO chemistry. Grandpa is teaching two dss. When we are done, we want to do physics, but RSO doesn't have it. So does Mr. Q physics work? Has anyone done RSO chemistry and then Mr. Q physics?

Thanks! Also, I am interested in Mr. Q earth. Please tell me more about it.

We like BFSU (if you check some threads you'll read the pros and cons). It does take a bit of time to get the "hang" off but it is very rewarding once you get it down.

I blogged about a few activities if you want to see it in action.

:iagree:

We started using BFSU this year, and it is one of the best curriculum choices I have ever made! It's fun, secular, and good for multiple ages.

I am interested in Mr. Q physics.

We are doing RSO chemistry. Grandpa is teaching two dss. When we are done, we want to do physics, but RSO doesn't have it. So does Mr. Q physics work? Has anyone done RSO chemistry and then Mr. Q physics?

Thanks! Also, I am interested in Mr. Q earth. Please tell me more about it.

I bought it and I'm so excited for next year now. Just extracted the "text" pages to stick on my Kobo.

Here's the TOC for Earth:

Unit One: Space Part I Pages

Chapter 1 Stars and the Universe 1-10

Chapter 2 Our solar system 11-19

Chapter 3 The Earth 19-28

Chapter 4 Our sun and moon 29-38

Unit Two: Space Part II

Chapter 5 Rotation and revolution 39-48

Chapter 6 Days, months and years 49-58

Chapter 7 Moon phases 59-67

Chapter 8 Eclipses 68-78

Unit Three: Wet ‘n Wild Weather I

Chapter 9 Energy 79-88

Chapter 10 Seasons 89-98

Chapter 11 Climate and weather 99-109

Chapter 12 Water 110-121

Unit Four: Wet ‘n Wild Weather II

Chapter 13 Water in the environment 122-131

Chapter 14 Clouds 132-143

Chapter 15 Weather fronts 144-153

Chapter 16 Our weather: Tying it all together 154-164

Unit Five: Forces on the earth

Chapter 17 Weathering and erosion 165-174

Chapter 18 Plate tectonics 175-184

Chapter 19 Earthquakes 185-196

Chapter 20 Volcanoes 197-208

Unit Six: Our Rocky Earth Pages

Chapter 21 Rocks and minerals 209-218

Chapter 22 The geology of your home 219-228

Chapter 23 Types of rock 229-238

Chapter 24 The rock cycle 239-247

Unit Seven: Digging in to the Soil

Chapter 25 Intro to soil 248-259

Chapter 26 Soil: digging deeper 260-269

Chapter 27 Life inside the soil 270-279

Chapter 28 Protecting our soil 280-292

Unit Eight: Putting it all Together

Chapter 29 Earth’s systems 293-301

Chapter 30 Events in our spheres (part 1) 302-313

Chapter 31 Events in our spheres (part 2) 314-324

Chapter 32 Earth’s events: The good, the bad and the ugly 325-335

Unit Nine: Earth Science Misconceptions

Chapter 33 Astronomy myths 336-346

Chapter 34 Weather myths 347-356

Chapter 35 Lightning myths 357-366

Chapter 36 Helping the Earth 367-374

I don't love that it's totally secular (we're doing Apologia right now), but considering I will be reading it aloud, I do enjoy the chatty, conversational tone.

Here's a sample from the first chapter:

"The universe is a word we use to describe everything that

exists...everywhere! It is huge!

So how big is the universe? Nobody knows! Scientists who

study the universe are called astronomers

"a-straw-no-murs". Astronomers have many different ideas

about how large the universe is, but they are still working

on the answer!"

From the middle:

"Every time you exhale, you are breathing out water into the

atmosphere! Plants give off water vapor too! And, in most

areas, our ground is full of water! When the sun’s energy

hits the ground, liquid water is evaporated into the air!

As liquid water is evaporating, the wind moves this water

vapor throughout the atmosphere. Some of this water

vapor rises high into the air where the air is much cooler."

Near the end:

"Myth #5

Ben Franklin’s kite was struck by lightning

Benjamin Franklin is known for a very important (and

dangerous) experiment. He was trying to find out if

lightning was a form

of electricity by

flying a kite during a

storm. Mr. Franklin

was very lucky that

his kite was not

struck by lightning!

In fact, if his kite

was struck by

lightning, we would

be telling a much

different story

about Benjamin

Franklin today...

…because he may not have survived !"

(the lines are so short in many cases because the text is quite large - which I no longer mind a bit now that I'm reading them in PDF form on my tiny kobo screen!)

Hope this is helpful...

For the OP, this looks likes a really fun way to learn science, and probably really easy to use with a range of ages!

It's so funny to see the text excerpts - an awful lot of exclamation points!! He's obviously excited about what he does ;) That's okay - we're excited too!! :D I need to remember to buy Earth tomorrow before the sale ends.

Yeah, not the most professional with all the exclamation points... also it's in Comic Sans, which is NOT my favourite by a long shot. But I love this a whole lot more now that I've seen it on my kobo.

Yeah, not the most professional with all the exclamation points... also it's in Comic Sans, which is NOT my favourite by a long shot. But I love this a whole lot more now that I've seen it on my kobo.

The lack of professionalism in presentation actually held me off for a while. It took quite a few threads around here with people expressing their satisfaction with it before I'd even bother downloading the free year.

Education Exploration has been great for us. My kids were 10 and 11 when we started it but they have 3 different levels than span multiple grades. There is no planning involved. The lessons are on the computer and can be read altogether. A set of supplies for experiments come with the program. It has been a great way to take some of the pressure off of me during the school day and the kids love to do it.

This is the program I am going to be using next year. My 2 oldest (will be 13 and 14 next year) will do intermediate-advanced, and my 2 youngest (will be 5 & 9 next year) will do the elementary level (it is for K-3). We are all excited about this program. My dd12 asked that even if I send her to ps next year that I still get this program for her to do at home afterschool. I don't think my kids have been as excited over the looks of a program in a long long time.