Menu

Just got bad news.

My grandfather has cancer. We have known for a while, and he has been going through all the tests to determine treatment. We had just met last week with a radiation oncology, who sounded very positive about his prognosis. He had a PET scan Thursday to verify the location of the 2 small tumors, one on his left lung and one on his trachea, that had been previously identified and he was to start targeted radiation therapy next week. Yesterday my grandmother got a call to come in immediately for another consult. The PET scan showed the cancer has spread and is now all over both lungs. At least the other tumor on his trachea hasn't changed.

So now instead of radiation for a set length of time with limited side effects and a good prognosis, he is looking at chemo for an indefinite length of time with a more iffy prognosis.

My aunt lives closest to them and is helping with day to day things. My mom is in another state and has asked me to sort of act as her proxy, checking on them weekly and helping as needed. I have no problem doing this, but I just found out I am pregnant, and I don't know how long all this is going to last, or how long I'll be able to help. My grandparents live over an hour away. I haven't told my family about the new baby yet (it was totally unexpected and dh and I are trying to get used to the idea ourselves - we just found out last week - hey, y'all are the first to know!).

So I am upset about the cancer thing, and stressed about the caretaking thing, and trying to figure out how to tell my family about the baby thing. :001_huh: If anyone has actually made it all the way through this rambling mess, and wants to pray/send healing thoughts/wish luck/whatever, it would be appreciated.

:grouphug:

I went thru esophageal cancer with my mom. I think you just get thru it one day-one week-one month at a time. Help where you can. If you can give your grandmother and aunt even a half day a week where you can stay with your grandfather and they can take care of errands or just get a break - that would be a huge blessing.

If the pregnancy interferes with the caretaking, maybe just help out with other things - run errands, pick up groceries. It was the little things that folks helped us with that were of the most help - a friend picked up dry cleaning for me one time when my mother was having a very bad week.

:grouphug: again.

My grandfather has cancer. We have known for a while, and he has been going through all the tests to determine treatment. We had just met last week with a radiation oncology, who sounded very positive about his prognosis. He had a PET scan Thursday to verify the location of the 2 small tumors, one on his left lung and one on his trachea, that had been previously identified and he was to start targeted radiation therapy next week. Yesterday my grandmother got a call to come in immediately for another consult. The PET scan showed the cancer has spread and is now all over both lungs. At least the other tumor on his trachea hasn't changed.

So now instead of radiation for a set length of time with limited side effects and a good prognosis, he is looking at chemo for an indefinite length of time with a more iffy prognosis.

My aunt lives closest to them and is helping with day to day things. My mom is in another state and has asked me to sort of act as her proxy, checking on them weekly and helping as needed. I have no problem doing this, but I just found out I am pregnant, and I don't know how long all this is going to last, or how long I'll be able to help. My grandparents live over an hour away. I haven't told my family about the new baby yet (it was totally unexpected and dh and I are trying to get used to the idea ourselves - we just found out last week - hey, y'all are the first to know!).

So I am upset about the cancer thing, and stressed about the caretaking thing, and trying to figure out how to tell my family about the baby thing. :001_huh: If anyone has actually made it all the way through this rambling mess, and wants to pray/send healing thoughts/wish luck/whatever, it would be appreciated.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm sorry--that is a lot to process. Congrats on the baby, though!

(((( hugs )))) for having so much thrown onto your plate at one time.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's cancer, but it's a true comfort for him to know he has a supportive and loving family in all of you. Everyone helps out as best they can; for some, that's physical presence but it can also mean a lot of behind-the-scenes assistance or emotional support, too!

And congratulations on your surprise little one. I know what a shock that can be, and can't begin to imagine trying to process that -and Grandpa- all at once. You must feel like a puppet being pulled in a million directions by multiple puppeteers!