Menu

TOG: How do you make this work for you?

The map aid as you said: I did that. I too got very weary and tired of finding resources to do this. I am also not happy with their geography program anyway. I will be getting BJU Geography 9th grade and have both boys work on it together.

Holly

I'm glad my post was helpful, Holly. We are actually reading the BJU Geography book this year as part of a "Cultural Geography" course I put together. Ds is just reading the book, no tests or assignments with the book, because he is doing the Lightbearer's curriculum with this for the indepth worldview focus (which I've been told on this board is part of cutlural geography - thus the title of the course). All the tests, papers, and homework come from the Lightbearer's stuff. It will be one semester's credit. Anyway, I just thought it was funny that you are looking to BJU to beef up the geography when I have done the same (in modified form). :)

Edited by Zee

:iagree: Some weeks it's been quite frustrating for ds and I. I've assigned several questions that were covered in depth in the dialectic discussion outline only to find out they weren't covered at all, or just briefly touched on, in ds's reading.

What year are you doing? I found that to be true more in Year 2. We also discovered that sometimes the "General Information" pages (first page of the student activity section) contain some answers. For a long time we ignored that page.

I don't borrow most multi-week books though it really is easier just to buy them. All the books for the year are in a bins (one for each level: Rhetoric, Dialectic, and Lower Grammar). Each week my boys know where to go to get the books they need next.

Love the bin idea and the export idea.....Def. will have to consider this!!

Holly

What year are you doing? I found that to be true more in Year 2. We also discovered that sometimes the "General Information" pages (first page of the student activity section) contain some answers. For a long time we ignored that page.

We are in YR 3 unit 4. Week 29....hhhmmm I will check into the general information ...

Thanks

Holly

My D level complaint is some of the materials he is reading do not give the information he needs on his accountability questions. Are there solutions to this problem?

Holly

My boys do the same thing. I try to remind them that the purpose of the Accountability Questions is just that Accountability....it lets me know they read the books. The goal is to read the books not just answer the Accountability questions.

I don't post much (maybe once in the 8 years on the board) but have enjoyed this thread. We are in our 5th year of TOG. This year is my first with a Rhetoric student.

TOG can be so overwhelming. I concur with all those who have said to make your kids responsible for organizing their week. It makes mine so much more manageable. Each child has a copy of the reading assignment yellow sheet and the student pages and last but not least a "syllabus" (a sheet listing beginning date of the week ie. January 23 and a column with the TOG Week we are covering ).

We just do the History core/and In-depth, Church History, and Literature portions. They know each week by Friday the questions and map work need to be completed. If any of them are struggling completing the assignment it is his responsibility to come to me and ask for help. (Don't get me wrong...I do check on them...but they don't know how much I do). We discuss at least once a week but I find as the week progresses we find ourselves talking about the topics naturally. This year I have required the boys to on the main level of the house while completing school work. I found that after I had my instruction time with them, they would hide in bedrooms or the basement and we wouldn't see each most the day. This has also helped with the accountability of completing their school work.

Hope this helps.

Marivi

About the bolded above, not specifically TOG related, but I have come to the same conclusion!

As far as AQ's either Ds finds the answers each week, or more likely, I don't get that worried about it and automatically include the info in our discussion based on the teacher notes. Odd for me b/c I stress about so many other things. :D It's just never been an issue for us, so I'm not even sure how the AQ's are getting answered. I just know Ds does all the reading, loves history, and expresses a through knowledge of the subject matter during discussions.

I'm glad my post was helpful, Holly. We are actually reading the BJU Geography book this year as part of a "Cultural Geography" course I put together. Ds is just reading the book, no tests or assignments with the book, because he is doing the Lightbearer's curriculum with this for the indepth worldview focus (which I've been told on this board is part of culueral geography - thus the title of the course). All the tests, papers, and homework come from the Lightbearer's stuff. It will be one semester's credit. Anyway, I just thought it was funny that you are looking to BJU to beef up the geography when I have done the same (in modified form). :)

Which Lightbearer curriculum? Can you give more info about how you are doing this. Does he read through the books for each curriculum separately, or have you taken time to mesh them into a schedule? Tell me more so I can make our TOG experience more complicated! I also need more ideas to see how far I can go before my head explodes (we need a smiley for that)! :lol:

Which Lightbearer curriculum? Can you give more info about how you are doing this. Does he read through the books for each curriculum separately, or have you taken time to mesh them into a schedule? Tell me more so I can make our TOG experience more complicated! I also need more ideas to see how far I can go before my head explodes (we need a smiley for that)! :lol:

It is called Lightbearer's. It is by Summit Ministries. It is a worldview curriculum, but as I said, could be considered an indepth cultural geography topic. This isn't something that I really would recommend to add to TOG; it's just something we are doing. Now the BJU book "Cultural Geograpy" could be a great supplement, and all we are doing is reading it, 4 pages a day. The Lightbearer's I'm using as directed in the TM. So each day ds has a Lightbearer's assignment and he reads the 4 pages from the BJU book. It's about 600 pages total.

Because we ended our year last year in the middle of Year 2 of TOG, I decided just to do Unit 3 and 4 of TOG this school year. That way we can do the full year plan, as written next year. I just didn't want to be in two year plans for the rest of high school, and constantly off-cycle. Hope that makes sense. So next year we'll do Year 3 fully and the next Year 4. Hopefully Year 1 in ds's senior year, if it can fit. So, since we are only doing 2 units of TOG this year, ds will only get 1/2 history credit, but he'll get 1/2 social studies credit for the cultural geography course. I hope that makes sense. So, I don't really see this as something that someone else would want to do. It just fit our unique situation this year. But I would recommend the BJU Geography book to anyone that wants to supplement that part of TOG.

It is called Lightbearer's. It is by Summit Ministries. It is a worldview curriculum, but as I said, could be considered an indepth cultural geography topic. This isn't something that I really would recommend to add to TOG; it's just something we are doing. Now the BJU book "Cultural Geograpy" could be a great supplement, and all we are doing is reading it, 4 pages a day. The Lightbearer's I'm using as directed in the TM. So each day ds has a Lightbearer's assignment and he reads the 4 pages from the BJU book. It's about 600 pages total.

Because we ended our year last year in the middle of Year 2 of TOG, I decided just to do Unit 3 and 4 of TOG this school year. That way we can do the full year plan, as written next year. I just didn't want to be in two year plans for the rest of high school, and constantly off-cycle. Hope that makes sense. So next year we'll do Year 3 fully and the next Year 4. Hopefully Year 1 in ds's senior year, if it can fit. So, since we are only doing 2 units of TOG this year, ds will only get 1/2 history credit, but he'll get 1/2 social studies credit for the cultural geography course. I hope that makes sense. So, I don't really see this as something that someone else would want to do. It just fit our unique situation this year. But I would recommend the BJU Geography book to anyone that wants to supplement that part of TOG.

I was on Summit Ministries site and it looks like their High School Curriculum is Understanding the Times. Is that what you are using? You are right, we probably can't fit it in with everything else. I still enjoy reading what others are doing.

Ironically, we were slated to end this year halfway through TOG 2. But, I didn't want to be in the second half of yr 2 in 9th, so I combined a couple of weeks and condensed the reading and we won't do the last week. We'll end later in June than usual, but we'll be able to do Yr 3 next year. I may do as you have and throw in the BJU Geography just as reading.

I am also debating whether to even waste my time looking for books at the library or not. It would totally cut down on my time spent on the library online catalog. (save me on those late fees as well...)

Do you buy new or used?? I know even on Amazon marketplace...some of the books are cheaper buying directly through amazon instead of the marketplace due to the shipping price (over $25 is free shipping)....

Holly

I SHOULD use the library more, but....buying them is more convenient and I always forget to reserve the book so when my ds goes to read it - oops! With that said, if it's a one-week book I may either get it from the library or just skip it, but if it's not too expensive (<$10) I'll buy it. Multi-week books I buy.

Also, many of the classics are available for free on a Kindle, which we all have, so I'm now going that way more and more. At least that way my kids know where to find the books. :D

I was on Summit Ministries site and it looks like their High School Curriculum is Understanding the Times. Is that what you are using? .

No, we may use that in the latter part of high school as time allows. We are using the Middleschool Curriculum, Lightbearer's. I feel the content is still worthy of using in 9th grade. We actually started it in the later half of last year and it's a full year course if you do everything, and we are doing everything but a few group projects.

Year 2 :glare: ! Thanks for the tip. We often do read that page but I don't remember if we did on the weeks I'm thinking of.

My boys do the same thing. I try to remind them that the purpose of the Accountability Questions is just that Accountability....it lets me know they read the books. The goal is to read the books not just answer the Accountability questions.

I thought the point of the accountability questions was to help the student identify the main points from that week's reading in order to be prepared to discuss them at the weekly meeting.

Edited by luvnlattes

Also, many of the classics are available for free on a Kindle, which we all have, so I'm now going that way more and more. At least that way my kids know where to find the books. :D

I noticed that. My oldest is begging me to buy him a kindle fire. We bought one for our daughter and now he wants one. :DThis would solve a lot of issues in finding books...

Holly

Year 2 :glare: ! Thanks for the tip. We often do read that page but I don't remember if we did on the weeks I'm thinking of.

I thought the point of the accountability questions was to help the student identify the main points from that week's reading in order to be prepared to discuss them at the weekly meeting.

I just doubled check what the Loom had to say to make sure what I was saying was correct. It states that the Accountability Questions are an accountability guage but the Thinking Questions were designed to "prime the pump" for discussion.

Marivi

Edited by MCG

• 4 weeks later...
Yes. I wouldn't bother for grammar level at all and most dialectic. However, the rhetoric level has weely exams as well as quarter exams.

Dialectic and Rhetoric levels have both weekly and unit exams. There is also a year long exam at the end.

If you plan on using the exams I highly recommend looking them over at the beginning of the quarter and year. For example, the unit and year exams include timelines-if you aren't using timelines you might not remember the dates.

As far as the reformatting of questions in a notebook. I think that is a personal matter, some kids work better with blanks while others can take a list and work from it. If you print out the D or R SAPs you will have all the questions listed there-then just add in blank pages for them to answer on and they can number their responses accordingly. What I ultimately took from KarenC's notebook system is that if I am not prepared with all the handouts-reading lists, worksheets, SAPs, maps, evaluations, etc. at the beginning of a unit I end up wasting huge amounts of my student's time pausing the day to make copies for them. Prepare ahead and the older students can run with much of the program on their own and not have to spend every 5 minutes asking for a new sheet. Also-TOG has lots of planning resources for students on the Loom. Schedules, Student/Teacher contracts, etc. These could certainly be of use in some families.

Dialectic and Rhetoric levels have both weekly and unit exams. There is also a year long exam at the end.

families.

The dialectic quarter exams were good. I didn't think the weekly ones were very good. They were often just a chart to fill out or a venn diagram. I wanted more of a test format.

I'm going to post the list of ideas for using TOG. I had several printed posts I wanted to peruse again for more ideas to add, but I may not get to it for quite some time. I wanted to post this sooner, but I've been taking care of a relative with pneumonia and preparing for Dd's birthday (which required cleaning out the basement:eek:). Anyway apologies for taking so long.

I did this on a word document, but for organization sake I'll post by topics and then anyone with more ideas can reply and add them to the post. Hope this helps someone and isn't too much of a repeat of ideas previously stated--and I hope those I quoted don't mind me re-posting their ideas.

Edited by shanvan

Tips for Making TOG Work

This is a collection of tips as found in various posts on WTM boards. It is mostly pertaining to using TOG in high school. It is in no way complete and shows various ideas for using TOG, some of which you may not agree with. Pick and choose what is useful to you.

Recent master thread for tips….

Planning

* Decide what aspects of TOG you will use (writing, government, church history, maps, timeline, arts, activities, etc.)

* Decide which level Dialectic or Rhetoric your child will be using. Sometimes you may want to jump down or up a level. You’ll need to preview the year plan to know when you may want to do so. This will affect which books you want to buy.

* CUT TOG DOWN TO WHAT YOUR FAMILY CAN REALISTICALLY ACCOMPLISH. That may mean cutting an entire subject like all the art readings or all church history readings. Another place to cut would be the suggested activities.

* Use the TOG suggested cutting for literature as discussed on the Loom

* Decide which books you will use based on what is available to you. (See list of recommendations on choosing books below.) Either make a list, or highlight in the binder. I use bookshelf central to make a cart and then print it. Then I delete it since I don’t usually buy my books there.

* Require your Dc to do as much of the planning as he/she can as in this post… http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3536477&postcount=22

* Include in your plan which items you will let go in the event that you become pressed for time. For example, CoMom says, “I assign all the readings for the church history and arts, but those are the first to go when things get busy. My kids know those are "sort of optional," and we didn't make any effort to discuss them for the most part.”

* As you look through the year plan look for weeks that might be combined if necessary.

TOG Planning for High School by Janice in NJ

1. Decide what your overall high school plan is first.

2. Then decide which components of TOG you will use to accomplish those goals.

3. CUT all the other parts of TOG that aren’t necessary to accomplish your goals.

So don't be afraid to RUTHLESSLY CUT to target the program to teach your student. You cover the student NOT the curriculum. But you want to make sure that you think this through all the way to the end. Your program in high school MUST accommodate the fact that your student needs to work toward earning credits. Yes. But you also need to grow him toward academic goals; you have to target the goals that you want him to hit by the end of 12th grade. You can't hit a target unless you know what it is. If you feel like you are making progress toward DEFINED goals, you will avoid burnout. If you are just aimlessly floating around in a sea of curriculum every week, you are going to drown. You can't tread water forever! In order to be successful with TOG - or any other program in high school, you need to decide what you want. And then get serious about that vision. You CAN do this! But you need a MOTOR on your boat! Don't pick a raft and then allow it to be tossed around. Nothing zaps enthusiasm more than being directionless. You can do this, Momma! You just need to see yourself in the driver’s seat. Be ruthless.

The rest of her wonderful post here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2728330#post2728330

SampleHigh School Workloads w/ TOG:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195351&highlight=tog

Edited by shanvan

Assembling materials ahead of time:

* Print all resources you need ahead of time taking into account all that you will be using. To save you time, show Dc how to print the resources and require them to do it at the beginning of each week or unit. See this post for an example of how this can work… http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3535370&postcount=17

* Use the summer to choose books and projects and plan each unit. Some people prefer to plan by the unit.

* Choose books in the summer and make a word document of scheduled reading by week.

* Print all SAP pages, maps, evaluations, etc before beginning the unit, or the entire year’s materials during the summer.

* Buy the SAP pages from Lampstand to save time.

* Make a master list for yourself including all assignments by week (AQ’s, Timeline, People list, Assessments, Writing assignments, projects and artwork) and make a grading sheet. Some can be check offs instead of grades. Print all necessary pages. Be sure to note all assignments on your student’s assignment sheet (Timeline, notes on people, etc.)

* File or make a notebook by the unit with pages arranged by the week.

* Decide on all assignments from SAP pages and projects and list them by week. If independent give a due date and include on Dc’s reading assignment sheet. Decide if you will require a timeline to be kept.

* Print Evaluations and reviews you will use.

* List extras like DVDS you will use and where they are located (esp if at the library)

* Some people like to do this by the unit, or by the week instead of all at once.

Which Books to use? Lots of different approaches here…

* Look through your year plan in the summer and choose which books you will use. Either list them by week, or make a reading schedule for your dc.

* To cut costs: Keep a word document of books you need to order listed by unit, that way you can order them a little at a time and spread out the cost.

* look at the alternates too and use books you have at home or that are available at the library.

* Buy the books used for many weeks and substitute for the books used a single week.

* Buy only the rhetoric level books

* Send an email to friends with a list of books you’d like to borrow for the year to see if you can find any books for your year plan.

* Forget about how much it costs, make it easy on yourself and order everything you need so you will be ready for the year.

Choosing Books:

* Choose one of the textbooks listed to use as a spine.

* Keep a word document of books you need to order listed by unit, that way you can order them a little at a time and spread out the cost.

* look at the alternates too and use books you have at home or that are available at the library.

* Buy the books used for many weeks and substitute for the books used a single week.

* Buy only the rhetoric level books

* Send an email to friends with a list of books you’d like to borrow for the year to see if you can find any books for your year plan.

* Forget about how much it costs, make it easy on yourself and order everything you need so you will be ready for the year.

Assignments:

* Do not reformat the SAP pages. Print them as is and circle questions that require written answers on a sheet of lined paper.

* In addition to, or instead of SAPs, use the Weekly evaluations as assignments instead of quizzes. Or, use them as open book quizzes. Then use Unit evaluations as tests.

* Make an assignment sheet for Dc, including reading assignments, maps, timelines, etc.

* List extras like DVDS you will use and where they are located (esp if at the library)

* Some people like to do this by the unit, or by the week instead of all at once.

* Some people prefer for students to plan their readings and assignments themselves. A compromise is to list reading for the week and allow Dc to schedule when to read it. Give due dates for all assignments.

* Type a Syllabus of all reading and other assignments. Leave a space for due dates. Alternatively, you can make a list of what you require each week, reading, maps, etc. and make your Dc check the binder and plan his/her own week. See this post… http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3530945&postcount=10

* *Many people seem to like using Dialectic level when beginning High School

Giving Assignments:

* Give a list of books and assignments and due dates, but give the work of planning a schedule to your Dc

* M&M:

* I give each student a copy of the yellow assignment pages. During our planning meeting, I tell them which assignments, questions, etc. I expect them to do that week. I give them their books and any maps, sap etc and let them know when things are due. It is up to them to take their planners and plan their week and work out their plan.

* Leanna: We have digital TOG, so I download a copy onto ds's computer. He keeps the current week's assignment page in an open "window" all week and refers to it as needed. We have our discussions at co-op on Fridays. I don't look at the AQ and TQ answers, but the entire class is graded by a Socratic discussion rubric. They are also graded on 1 presentation and 1 test per unit.

He also charts his week's plan on an Excel spreadsheet at the beginning of the week and emails it to me. This includes his non-Tapestry classes. He is completely independent with his scheduling, although I did help him think through a workable plan. My job is to make sure we have a conference mid-week to make sure he's on track.

Maps/Geography:

* Allow Dc to copy from the teacher map. Assign them to read the teacher’s notes on Geography, or alternatively choose a day when you will cover geography with dc and read the teacher’s notes and go over the map. Require them to find the locations on a globe as well.

Timelines:

* Use only the dates given in Unit Evaluations for you Dc’s timeline instead of the weekly dates given. This cuts down on the number of dates. You can choose from these to assign memory work.

* If you use timeline figures (and you don’t have to, you can cut this out!), print them from the yahoo group for your year.

* Buy and use a Timeline program for computer. Ds likes Easy Timeline Creator. There are others available.

Evaluations:

* Make a grading sheet ahead of time for each unit, listing what you will grade (test, essay, ect.). Also decide how much weight you will give each grade.

* Use an essay, speech, or project—or even the weekly discussion (there are grading rubrics for this) as a unit grade instead of a test from evaluations CD.

* Buy the Evaluations disc for D or R levels to assist you with grading.

* A people glossary is included on this disc. You can print this ahead of time for Dc to use if you want him to keep a list of important people.

Getting Behind/Simplifying:

* If you get behind you can combine weeks to catch up. You’ll need to cut down on the readings. Sometimes you will be able to elimate a literature reading to make combining more manageable. Or, you can choose a light week to combine with a heavier week while also cutting down on readings. For example use only the core history reading.

* Generally you can skip or cut down the first last week of a year plan b/c it is repeated somewhat in the next year plan.

* CO MOM’s approach: We've just used TOG for 2 years with D and R level but here are some of the things I've done to simplify:

1) I assign all the readings for the church history and arts, but those are the first to go when things get busy. My kids know those are "sort of optional," and we didn't make any effort to discuss them for the most part.

2) I used the suggested TOG cuts for literature and some things were read only and not really discussed.

3) I use the weekly evaluations as just an oral review/discussion at the beginning of the next week and only use the end of unit tests for official tests. We also often took a full week at the end of the unit for review and catch-up before going on to the next unit. That meant sometimes we didn't do all the last weeks or combined a few weeks.

4) We did the mapping together on one day during the week - sometimes just having them copy off the teacher's key if we had difficulty finding alternate maps or were short on time.

Our primary focus was getting the history reading (core and in-depth) and questions/discussions done every week and at least selected literature read and discussed. We didn't use the WA/TOG writing.

Discussions & Teacher’s Notes:

* Look at the discussions before giving assignments and decide where your focus will be if you know you are going to have a busy week and won’t be able to do justice to everything in the discussion.

* Choose a specific evening when you will be reading teacher’s notes each week, preferably a day or two before the discussion. I have found that taking them with me to the library or to the kids activities allows me to get them done without having to set aside time at home. It’s also been a nice treat for me to read them at Panera or Barnes and Noble without taking kids with me. I can have a nice cup of tea and some peace and quiet.

* Tina Gilbert’s method: For my prep, I prefer to read over the Teacher's Notes (TN) and using pencil make my own little markings of what I want to cover (read the overview to give you a general idea, so as you read, you'll know what to look for).

Then I go back and make an outline to use during lecture time. When time fails...or I fail on time....I can follow along well enough using the discussion outline given, but I prefer to be ready via the TN so I am not only teaching, but learning. It makes our discussions so much richer. For all subjects, save Rh. lit, this seems to be sufficient.

* Break discussions into different days. Use one for literature, one for history,etc. Some people use weekends.

* When you have limited time for discussions: In a pinch, some people have Dc read the lecture and teacher’s notes. You can then have them outline what they learned. This frees you from doing the discussion. Many people don’t recommend this, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

* Some have used Pop Quiz for sparking the discussion. Listen with Dc and pause to discuss. We did this once in the car on the way to choir. Not as good as a discussion, but it got us through the week and kept us on track.

Scheduling

* Plan which days you will start new reading assignments, cover Geography, discuss literature, discuss history. If you are including any hands on activities you will need to plan when you will assemble materials, or assign the assembling to Dc. Soooo many different approaches. Here are a few

* Quiver of 10: They do indepth reading on Monday and Tuesday, then answer the questions. They start lit on Monday and finish on Thursday completing the worksheet that day. Church History and Maps are done on Wednesday as were timelines but we seem to have dropped timelines somewhere along the way. We have a discussion on Friday.

* Elinore Everywhere: Here's how we do it:

Weekend: Both begin reading the history & in-depth reading.

Monday: they begin the lit, art, and enrichment readings (if any). They also complete the mapwork.

Tuesdays: they continue reading the above, with my D daughter beginning work on her Accountability Questions.

Wednesdays: they finish most reading except literature.

Thursdays: my D child turns in her Accountability Questions (in writing), and they finish the literature reading.

Friday: literature worksheets are due, any test/quizzes I've printed out are completed, and I have the discussion with my D daughter.

* Karen Ciavo’s 3 levels of TOG w/ sample schedules

http://web.mac.com/rivendellpress/Rivendell_Press/_TOG_Schedule.html

* Janice in NJ about the Split week makes sense because of the writing assignment. The child has a jump on the week, so he is ready to begin his writing assignment on Monday. This allows for the rough draft/final draft to coincide with scheduled Wed/Fri Mom-time. And it's only necessary for the D/R students.

* For your D/R:

Thursday - Do map for next week's plan. Begin reading history for next week's plan.

Friday - Continue reading history for next week's plan.

Saturday - Begin reading literature for next week's plan.

Monday - Begin answering history questions for current week plan. Finish reading history. Meet with Mom to begin writing assignment. (The idea here is that most of the reading is done after the Monday history work, and most of the questions are either done or in progress. The child has something to write about.) Begin literature vocab cards and questions. Prep for recitation. Continue reading literature.

Tuesday - Finish up any history questions. Independently work on rough draft for writing assignment. Continue with literature.

Wednesday - History meeting with mom. Discuss current week plan. Read "General Information" page to introduce next week's material. Set up next week's schedule in planner. Writing - show mom your rough draft; discuss. Continue working on literature.

Thursday - Study for history quiz (if you're using evaluations). Work on finalizing writing assignment. Finish up literature. Begin the rotation as listed above for next week - begin history reading/map for next week.

Friday - Take a history quiz. Polish and submit writing assignment. Have a literature discussion. Set up next week's literature schedule in planner. Work on material for next week as listed above.

Full discussion here (and there are many more if you start searching)…

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153718&highlight=tog+evaluations

In terms of actually finding the books, I have found that it is much faster to use the links under the books in bookshelf central that go straight to worldcat, (you will need to set up a free account) and that tells me without typing in author, title, etc. if it is in my library system. (I added my libraries as a favorite, so they show up at the top of the list) If it isn't in my library, I just copy & past the info into an excel document.

I then use addall.com to compare prices of the books on hundreds of bookstores online, and order them used if avalible. (I add the place& date ordered from in the excel spreadsheet)

Any that aren't available used, I then order from bookshelf central.

I do a unit at a time in terms of prep, but it is nicest to have it all done before school starts.

I would spend maybe 1 evening checking availability per unit (I'm doing UG/D)

4 nights so far

Then checking for the used books isn't too bad, maybe 1-2 units per night.

7 nights

Buying from lamostand - 1 night

8 evenings

So, for book selection/purchasing maybe 8 evenings, total at a relaxed pace. Add another 2 nights for putting a list of books to get at the library by month, and now you're done with books.

10 nights to book gathering/prepping

Paper work... I like to use 1 copy of the weeks reading assignments on the wall of the school area, they can look up the required info there, just DON'T MOVE IT!