Menu

What grammar for very visual learner??

diaperjoys

It has recently dawned on me what a non-auditory learner our oldest son is. He's very, very visual. And here we are halfway through R&S English 3, using it orally - that would be why retention is so minimal!!

So what should we switch to?? Can ya'll flood me with some ideas? He's an excellent reader, 8yo.

I would try doing the written exercises in Rod and Staff. I do that for my visual learner. I started a few months ago, but he is understanding everything so far. Sometimes I combine handwriting by writing part of the exercises on Startwrite and he traces the words and completes the part of the sentence that is requested. Diagramming is also helpful.

I would try doing the written exercises in Rod and Staff. I do that for my visual learner. I started a few months ago, but he is understanding everything so far. Sometimes I combine handwriting by writing part of the exercises on Startwrite and he traces the words and completes the part of the sentence that is requested. Diagramming is also helpful.

:iagree: I'm a very visual learner, and I always learned best with visual input and then writing answers, taking written notes, etc.

I agree with the previous posters, My VSL has done very well with R&S Grammar. I read the lesson aloud, we work through the oral questions together, then we do the written questions on the whiteboard. Something I read about VSLs said they are greatly helped by reading and processing at eye level, not looking down at a worksheet. I have the whiteboard at his eye level. He also REALLY likes diagramming. It really helps cement the concepts for him.

We tried MCT Grammar Island last year, and he didn't retain as much.

Oh, The Sentence Family reminded me of Lively Language Lessons (this page is slow to load) using Ruth Heller's grammar books. Much along the same lines. I actually had The Sentence Family and prefer LLL, although I can't recollect what about TSF bothered me. Something did though...

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

How about working on a white board with a variety of colors?

Yes to different colors! I used to re-copy my notes in college in different colors. It helped the information to stand out. Parts of speech would work really well with this, writing each part of speech in a different color (or at least underlining in different colors).

My visual learner has enjoyed Sentence Family. Stories with pictures and descriptions that he can "see" work well. We are going to use MCT next school year.

Scholastics makes a Comic Strip Grammar (got it at one of the $1 sales) which was somewhat helpful. I wish the comic strips had described what they were learning about, but it had a story and you had to pick out the nouns or whatever part of speech the worksheet was about.

My ds loves the Brian P Clearly books too. The pages are very colorful and it graps his attention and he listens great while viewing the pages. Our library carries all of them!

Oh, The Sentence Family reminded me of Lively Language Lessons (this page is slow to load) using Ruth Heller's grammar books. Much along the same lines. I actually had The Sentence Family and prefer LLL, although I can't recollect what about TSF bothered me. Something did though...

I think (after looking at both today) that LLL could be used with younger kids. Actually, I think it might work well to use LLL first and then work into The Sentence Family. I think it is simpler to start with nouns rather than "Mr. Declarative Sentence" and "Mrs. Interrogative Sentence." I think those concepts might be harder to grasp, whereas younger kids get person, place, or thing pretty quick.

Edited by woolybear
forgot a comma

I think anything could work if you write it down and label or diagram. I use Winston with my dd, but I don't know if you can get a more visual learner than myself and the best grammar program I ever used growing up was Shurley. Writing the sentences on the board, seeing the labels (you could even use different colors), seeing the parentheses around the prep. phrases, etc. was perfect for me.

Schoolhouse Rock, Brian P. Cleary, and Mad Libs have had much more retention with my VSL DS than FLL. I keep debating trying some of the Montessori grammar materials with him, but I'm not confident in my ability to actually teach it well. I wish there was a scripted Montessori grammar curriculum similar to Right Start Math.

Writing the sentences on the board, seeing the labels (you could even use different colors), seeing the parentheses around the prep. phrases, etc. was perfect for me.

This is exactly what we do for grammar. I write the sentences on the board that we are to analyze, and then they are marked with the colored marker for their function. We do the same on notebook paper using colored pencils. You could do the same on a magnetic dry-erase board, using some magnetic tags for labels.