Menu

Which Foerster's Algebra books do we need?

I am ready to make the switch from MUS Algebra over to Foerster's Algebra 1 and use the Math Without Borders dvd along with the textbook.

Which textbook did you use? (An ISBN number would be appreciated.) On the Math Without Borders site, it states that you can use this book or earlier versions. I will most likely purchase the newer version.

I plan to do many of the problems alongside my son. Do I need both the Teacher Manual AND the Solutions Manual? If so, what are the ISBN numbers for these texts that will match up with the most recent Foerster's Algebra 1 book? Do I purchase them through Oasis?

Thanks for any help you can offer! :)

The different versions are VERY similar. I'd say almost any of them will work, but you'll want to find one that you can find a teacher's manual for easily. Probably best to find a teacher's manual first and then but a textbook that matches it.

We have the text and TM. So far this year (we are 1/2 way through the book) I have not needed a solutions manual. I'm not all that "mathy" - his explanations in the text are just really good :)

I tried Oasis at the beginning of the year, and they told me the TM was out of print. I had to buy it used off of Amazon.

If you can - I think the easiest ones to find are the Prentice Hall Classics Editions. The covers don't look like they match, but the TM has a katy-corner picture of the student text on a reddish background.

The ISBN for the TM is 0-13-165709-7 or 9780131657090

The #'s for the student text are: 0-201-32458-x or 9780201324587

Edited by SailorMom

Bummer. No Teacher Manuals available on Amazon or Half.com. Not sure where else to search (and find it at a good price!).

I am also wondering what the difference between the Teacher Manual and the Solutions Manual is? Do I need both?

Thanks! :)

The teacher's manual has all the answers, and some planning info. Very few in depth, step by step solutions to the problems.

The solution manual would have more of those step-by-step answers.

I don't think you'll need a solution manual :)

If you aren't in a hurry for the books - just keep watching Amazon and Ebay. They pop up all the time.

I am ready to make the switch from MUS Algebra over to Foerster's Algebra 1 and use the Math Without Borders dvd along with the textbook.

Which textbook did you use? (An ISBN number would be appreciated.) On the Math Without Borders site, it states that you can use this book or earlier versions. I will most likely purchase the newer version.

I plan to do many of the problems alongside my son. Do I need both the Teacher Manual AND the Solutions Manual? If so, what are the ISBN numbers for these texts that will match up with the most recent Foerster's Algebra 1 book? Do I purchase them through Oasis?

Thanks for any help you can offer! :)

Seewah, I'm looking to do the same thing with my son after he finishes MUS Pre-A. Except I'll probably suppliment MUS Pre-A with something else to build his basic skills, possibly Dolciani. Then on to Foerster & math without borders.

How do you think your ds will do switching from MUS to a more formal text and rigorous program such as Foerster? I look forward to hearing how the transition goes.

Edited by dereksurfs

And the older books still correspond fine with the Math Without Borders dvd?

Thanks for your help, everyone! I appreciate it so much. I didn't even know that Follett existed! :)

From what I have been told (when I was looking in to this) there are hardly any changes in the books at all.... You will probably be fine 99% of the time :)