Menu

What is with Netflix? Nothing to watch.

I guess we will be getting rid of Netflix. Dh and I spent the better part of an hour looking for something to watch and couldn't find anything that we both could agree on. What a waste of money. I had originally signed up so that we could get movies and documentaries for school However, we just aren't watching enough documentaries to make it worth my while (heck, I could buy a few for what we have paid for this service.)

If we didn't just get dumped with 6 inches of snow, I would go find a Redbox!

Really? I find far more to watch on Netflix than I do at Redbox (although I agree it's not easy to find a lot of stuff that we all would want to watch).

Me too! :)

We don't necessarily always find things we all want to watch. But we use it a lot, even if it's just DH or myself, or the two of us, or the kids. Sometimes we all watch something. For just 7.99, it's definitely worth it for us. :)

Yep, we are cancelling Netflix at the end of this month. I was actually going to cancel yesterday, but the cancellation is effective immediately, with no pro-ration! So we'll wait until the day before our billing and cancel.

We only have streaming now, and there is never anything good on it. We'll do Redbox or Blockbuster Express occasionally, and sometimes get new releases right on our DirectTV box. We have Discovery Streaming for school stuff. Netflix has become a waste for us.

I find that my hubby will do the same thing, but he's being way too picky. He's expecting to be wowed, lol. When it's late and we don't have anything else to do (we don't have cable or regular channels), I'll just pick something for us and watch it. I can appreciate many movies, except really stupid corny ones. Those I have a hard time paying attention to. If I let him sit there and decide for us, then he'd just turn it off and go back to his online game :glare:...

Right now he's watching Merlin episodes. I'll be putting on an episode of Inspector Lewis or something like that here in my room while I scrapbook :D.

I've been learning how to knit and have been watching more on instant watch than normal. However, I absolutely hate searching for content on Netflix. One a week or so, I check out the new releases on instantwatcher.com.

You see, on a Friday night when I have been shoveling half the day, we want a light, fun movie that we both can enjoy. Everything on instant play was either something we have already seen (and we don't watch that many movies,) heavy drama, chick flick, documentary, or a war movie. Most of what I want to watch is on DVD. They must have culled the instant play because I had a long list of movies in my instant cue that are not there anymore. Seriously - we looked for an hour. He's a guy. He wanted to watch True Grit. He had seen it before. I didn't go to the theater because I had no desire to see it, no matter how good everyone said it was. I had a list of movies friends have recommended. Not one was on instant play.

:001_huh:

I have 48 titles in my DVD queue, and at least that many in my Instant queue, plus the ones that are not-yet-released, such as this season's shows (Fringe, NCIS, CSI, etc.).

I prefer not to watch streamed movies, 'cuz they aren't always letter-box (wide screen). If I want to watch something specific DVD over the weekend, I plan ahead.

I've done Redbox a couple of a time and have been sorely disappointed in what was offered. We were looking for a family movie and ended up with "Gulliver's Travels". That was the best choice they had for my kid's ages. Blech. Unless there's a specific new release we want, I would never go to Redbox.

We're always finding new things to watch on Netflix. DH ignored it for years, but has now discovered it and loves it. He's determined to watch ever episode of "How It's Made". :) They recently added the "Poirot" series, which is a favorite of ours.

I'm afraid Netflix's days are numbered and it makes me sad. They offer so much, including DVDs of older movies that, since the demise of most Blockbuster physical stores, you can't find anywhere else.

I guess we will be getting rid of Netflix. Dh and I spent the better part of an hour looking for something to watch and couldn't find anything that we both could agree on. What a waste of money. I had originally signed up so that we could get movies and documentaries for school However, we just aren't watching enough documentaries to make it worth my while (heck, I could buy a few for what we have paid for this service.)

If we didn't just get dumped with 6 inches of snow, I would go find a Redbox!

You just need to expand your choices... There's a ton of wonderful movies on instant watch. Why do most only want to watch the usual blockbuster/formulaic stuff? :tongue_smilie:

Live a little, like trying a new food. One can't live off McDonald's!

I love Netflix. We use it all the time.

However, I will be honest and say that DH and I don't watch TV together nearly as much anymore.....there is only so much of Orange County Choppers or Pimp My Ride I can tolerate and there is only so much Crime Drama he can tolerate, so we watch different TVs. Sigh.....it is what it is.

Dawn

You just need to expand your choices... There's a ton of wonderful movies on instant watch. Why do most only want to watch the usual blockbuster/formulaic stuff? :tongue_smilie:

Live a little, like trying a new food. One can't live off McDonald's!

:iagree:

For new releases we go to Redbox, but there are lots of older movies, series, TV shows, foreign films, documentaries, etc. on Netflix.

The problem with the TV series is it takes them 1-2 years to get the current season on to Instant Streaming. That happened to us for two series that we were watching, Dexter and Weeds. We'll be completely hooked and watch 1-3 episodes every Saturday night once boys are in bed. Get all caught up, all into it, and then have to wait forever to get the last season or even 2. Dexter was a ridiculous wait even in the DVD queu (it's not on instant queue at all anymore that I can see, any season). We finally ended up driving down to Blockbuster after waiting about six months with no end in sight for Netflix. I almost hate to start a series on Netflix.

Plus you know what, they are on iTunes too, which we just realized we can get using PS3.

We dropped Netflix...

Our internet connection couldn't support the streaming (We have DSL) and the whole price change thing made me angry. So we cancelled and have not missed it at all. We can get most of what we want at the library, we buy the series that we want to see and then get rid of them, and we use redbox for new movies.

The only things we have missed are the foreign movies.

Edited by Old Dominion Heather

We love Netflix, but there isn't nearly as much available through instant watch as DVD, and we are usually looking for very specific titles. Check the foreign films, however; there are usually enough there to choose from. They often played at independent theaters and aren't well-known.

We never have problems finding something to watch on Netflix or on our cable tv. If we only have Netflix, we don't have any problems anyway. We have so much on our lists and even stuff we don't have on the lists but want to watch anyway. For example, we are on year five of Misdomer Murders. There are at least 13 years. We have a way to go since dh travels so much and we like to watch together. Then there are the shows we haven't started watching yet at all. We tend to watch british tv, foreign movies, older movies that we haven't seen or last saw at least 20 years ago, and then we also put new ones on. But we hardly ever watch any light comedies so maybe that is why we don't have any issues. I think we may have watched all of maybe three or five such shows in the last five years. I can remember the Julia Child movie and another cooking comedy with Catherine Zeta Jones but my dh doesn't watch them usually and I only very occasionally.

We love Netflix, but there isn't nearly as much available through instant watch as DVD

We don't do streaming but my in-laws do, and they are constantly complaining that the choices are very limited. They opted to pay for the package that is dvds delivered in the mail AND streaming. Seems like overkill to us (but then again, we don't even have cable) and much more expensive to do it this way.

Maybe you could give using Redbox/Blockbuster, etc a trial and compare the services, fees, time spent finding a good movie(including the drive time to and from the rental locations), etc. It never hurts to shop around. You can always go back to Netflix without penalty, if needed.

Good luck!

We don't do streaming but my in-laws do, and they are constantly complaining that the choices are very limited. They opted to pay for the package that is dvds delivered in the mail AND streaming. Seems like overkill to us (but then again, we don't even have cable) and much more expensive to do it this way.

We get one DVD at a time plus streaming. It's WAY less expensive than Dish Network or any cable company.

It doesn't matter to us if we see new releases when they're brand-new. They'll be the same movies when Netflix finally gets them. :)

We love netflix but usually watch older tv shows.

We have watched Wings, some of Cheers. We are watching Fraiser, and Melissa and Joey was cute.

Dh loves the old mission impossible.

The boys always are finding things.

Between docu. for school and other things we have 180 things in our queue.

I choose things I want then look at their suggestions and usually add one or two. We don't have TV only Netflix on our Roku so that might make a difference.

!

We have both streaming and DVD right now, but that works well for us. My husband and kids have no problem finding something they like on streaming and I usually am watching a series via DVD. It's way cheaper than cable or buying used, and a heck of a lot less trouble than making constant runs to the library and rental stores like I did in the old days.

You see, on a Friday night when I have been shoveling half the day, we want a light, fun movie that we both can enjoy. Everything on instant play was either something we have already seen (and we don't watch that many movies,) heavy drama, chick flick, documentary, or a war movie. Most of what I want to watch is on DVD. They must have culled the instant play because I had a long list of movies in my instant cue that are not there anymore. Seriously - we looked for an hour. He's a guy. He wanted to watch True Grit. He had seen it before. I didn't go to the theater because I had no desire to see it, no matter how good everyone said it was. I had a list of movies friends have recommended. Not one was on instant play.

You aren't crazy. Sounds like we may have similar tastes, and my Netflix instant queue has had its availability dwindle. Since I'm an old-time user (been with them practically since their inception -- I remember the old, white padded mailers!), I still do get DVDs, so I'm not totally looking to them for streaming. But, I do wonder if all of Amazon's new agreements are cutting into the Neflix offerings. Haven't done any comparing on that, so that's simply a stray thought backed up by nothing. ;)

Really? I find far more to watch on Netflix than I do at Redbox (although I agree it's not easy to find a lot of stuff that we all would want to watch).

Us too. Redbox can't give us older movies, tv shows, or documentaries. Our library has a lot of what Netflix has, but the loan period isn't long enough for us. Netflix gives us our money's worth.