Menu

Single Mom wanting to use CM like curriculum?

Nursemommy

Hi all,

I have been pouring over all your comments for several weeks now; like every newbie. I have read through volume one of CM's works and have the CM companion by Andreola. I have looked at HUFI, AO, Milestone Academy, HOD, MFW and Mater amabilis. I don't mind adapting the religious portion (we are Baptist/calvinist)

Here is the thing; some of my HSing will be done by some other mothers from my church on the days that I work (I am FT ER Nurse working shift, I can teach three or four days per week) They won't be able to do so many read alouds as they each have four children of their own. My daughter will be five in October. Which fo the curriculums that I have looked at will most facilitate this?

I think I want a non-boxed curriculum as the schedule may stress me out so AO, milestone HUFI, Mater amabilis etc would probably be best; I want one that is academically rigourous but user friendly, liberal but still has reasonably strong science base. I want her to appreciate good literature but still be interested, have strong writing skills as research is a valuable skill (I am hoping she will be university bound). Spelling and grammar are improtant to me. I would llike to stick with a CM approach but am open to ANY suggestions. Also, I am Canadian so I need to be able to switch out some history for Canadian content without a HUGE issue.

Thanks in advance. I am also a member already of all the AO groups etc.

Well... I can't imagine having another mom teach my kid, especially if they already have four children. If I was in your situation, I would school only four days a week. Actually, I only school four days a week :D. So maybe you wouldn't need to rely on the needs of another mother if you did that.

Personally, I like how milestones does science and history together as a family, so if you have more kids that is a good option. I like AO's book list better than milestones though, except not their history (we like sotw).

I did AO year 1 with a very smart first grader, and while we enjoyed it, I think she would have got more out of it if I had waited until she was in second grade to do year 1 books, just so you know.

SO. What I would do with a 5 year old is school only four days a week. Get a math and a language arts curriculum (if you want that) and do that every day. Then get a book list and read through it every day. AO's year 0 is good, FIAR, or whatever. If you want more science than nature study, you'll have to look for a science program too. Oh, and for strong writing skills, WWE is great and is considered CM.

Then start with AO year 1 next year, substituting subjects you don't like.

:D

I know that CM said nothing until six however here she would and could have started preschool in September of last year. My plan for next year was a year 0 from AO; she states taht children under six, while they should not have formal "school time" they should have some things. I was thinking about foucusing on Bible, reading, writing and Math. I play classical music in my car and will be burning a CD with classical composer, hymns and folk songs mostly pertaining to what we would hear and use at our church/life. I was going to make some puzzles out of the classical art to promote exposure. Lots of time at the zoo and aquarium and park. For books then following AO would be appropriate no? I was thinking about MEP reception or Right start math. and Getty Dubay Cursive. She knows her letter sounds and can identify she just isn't ready for phonics. Nothing too terrible formal however still some short lessons with LOTS of time outside. I just keep freaking out...I guess mindset of "school".