Menu

what are...???

Be kind.

Work hard.

Have fun.

We read similar rules in an education book and liked them. :) We do not post them, though I think about it once in a while. Be kind and work hard cover most behavioral expectations, and have fun extends to attitudes.

And this year's new catchphrase: Cheerfully, Quickly and Well. No need to post this one, as I say it daily as a positive reminder of my expectations.

Cat

Funny you should ask.

This is a subject that comes up frequently with my oldest ds.

We don't have anything in writing or posted, but soon will.

Generally, because you are part of this family you will contribute to the day to day work mirthfully.

We will treat each other with respect.

You are expected to help, with out being ask, prodded, cajoled or bribed and with out moaning or rolling your eyes.

We will not pay an allowance for the daily tasks that take place in order for the family to function. For example, I cook 3 meals a day, do laundry and teach. I perform these tasks out of love, but do not receive monetary compensation for performing them. Periodically, I will ask and need your assistance in which I expect you to joyfully contribute your talent and time.

I will pay for over and above jobs. However, this has not been well defined in the past and leads to frustration and disappointment. I am thnking about writing up a job description, posting it, and then interviewing for the job.

But this is another post.

Be kind.

Work hard.

Have fun.

And this year's new catchphrase: Cheerfully, Quickly and Well. No need to post this one, as I say it daily as a positive reminder of my expectations.

Cat

I LIKE this a lot....I am going to post this and use it. THANKS for this!!

I live with kids who are 6, 10, 11, 12, 14 plus my nephews are over daily (ages >1, 2, and 3).

Our general rule is this: Don't be a butt. (If you leave a mess, don't be a butt and leave it for someone else. If you don't like the meal, don't be a butt and complain. If your sister is hitting you, don't be a butt and hit back. And so forth.) It's not posted anywhere, it's just understood; perhaps because we say it a lot LOL.

That was the general rule in my childhood home, too. Different words, same gist. That's where I learned it, and its overall simple effectiveness :)

http://edufunmom.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/house-rules/

House rules in general.

http://edufunmom.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/clarification-about-rules/

Individual rules which I wouldn't outline if foster agency didn't say too.

Current ones include things like minding personal boundaries, truthful words, use big boy voice, etc.

I live with kids who are 6, 10, 11, 12, 14 plus my nephews are over daily (ages >1, 2, and 3).

Our general rule is this: Don't be a butt. (If you leave a mess, don't be a butt and leave it for someone else. If you don't like the meal, don't be a butt and complain. If your sister is hitting you, don't be a butt and hit back. And so forth.) It's not posted anywhere, it's just understood; perhaps because we say it a lot LOL.

That was the general rule in my childhood home, too. Different words, same gist. That's where I learned it, and its overall simple effectiveness :)

This is funny...because we have a "no buttheads allowed" rule. Noone likes a butthead. :D

Our other main rule is be kind and loving. Everything else will follow those 2 rules.

I have a cute little subway art thing that says "Family Rules" and things like "be nice" "say your prayers", etc etc etc. :D But we really don't have many actual rules. I'd say the main rule in our house is "treat others as you want to be treated". Pretty much everything stems off that. Except the rule about no naked bottoms on the furniture. Because I have a 3 yo who is of the 'clothing optional' persuasion.

We do not have them - not "formalized" or written, anyway. :D

Our general guidelines, however, boil down to:

1. Be independent.

What you can do yourself, do not ask others to do for you or instead of you. Be as self-sufficient as possible and take pride in being so.

2. Do not "add work" to others.

If you use it, put it back. If you dirt it, tidy it up. If you make a mess, clean it up. Leave every room / place / thing in a state it was before you came or used it - or a better one. This is the KEY rule of keeping a house in order, because if everyone extends the rule #1 to not add work to others and be responsible for their own mess, things are quite smooth.

3. You are going to be treated only as "seriously" as you present yourself and behave. So - be neat, clear, direct, calm, and efficient.

In appearance: Good posture. Neat and modest clothes at all times. Manners. Look at people in the eyes. Express yourself clearly and with an appropriate tone. Self-restraint: you are in control of your behavior.

In content: Efficient use of words in daily communication. Have a point to make? Be clear and direct. Have a question to ask? Be clear and direct. No foul language. Use your subjunctives appropriately.

4. RELAX and take things easy. Laugh. Smile. Life is good.

5. In spite of the rule number #4, do use your intelligence to determine when a situation becomes "serious". This includes "knowing when to stop". Also, if there are serious issues going on, issues concerning safety, health, general well-being, and so forth, be proactive and absolutely transparent with parents so that the situation might be resolved with least damage possible.

6. Do not tattle on each other.

If it is not serious enough to get into rule #5, work it out amongst yourselves.

7. Whatever you do, do your best to do it properly and to do the whole job. In schoolwork just as well as in other responsibilities - dot your Is and cross your Ts.

Our basic rule is Be Kind. And if you see something that needs to be done - do it. I can't tell you how many times I'd see a child walk past a towel on the floor because it wasn't *their* towel. So, if a towel needs to be picked up, I don't care who left it on the floor, you pick it up.

Apparently (according to the kids) these are our family rules:

1. No singing at the table (put in place after a near-choking incident)

2. No eating the last cookie (don't know why we have this one but NO ONE will take the last cookie from the jar)

3. Oldest kid gets to ride shotgun.

Yep - that's about it! And, no, they aren't written anywhere.

My kids are 8, 6 and 3. We don't have official posted family rules--we do have posted school rules--

No yelling.

No hitting or name calling

No whining or complaining

Do the work in front of you--cheerfully if possible, quietly if not.

I suppose, if pushed, I'd say these are our family rules too.

But the house rules I seem to be enforcing the most are Be Kind or Be Quiet, Feet Are For The Floor Not The Furniture, and How Would You Like It If Someone Did That To You?. Oh and Use A Tissue.:tongue_smilie:

Kids are teens now, but rules have always been:

1. Respect for people (and animals)

2. Respect for property

3. Respect for roles (parents, kids, friends, siblings, caregivers, teachers, etc)

Everything that needs correction/discipline falls under those categories.