Menu

Ninja Blender

I had told my mom that I wanted a new blender, so she gave me a gift card (she didn't want me to have to pack a giant blender for such a long car ride). I bought this Ninja Blender. It is more powerful than the smaller ones.

I have used it nearly every day for smoothies (my kids are skinny, we're trying to put weight on them). It works *SO* much better than my old blender. If I'm using ice, then I put that in first and blend it before adding anything else. If I put in ice last, then I get chunks of ice. My smoothies typically include frozen fruit, yogurt, avocados, cottage cheese, etc.

I have one (from Sam's Club) and it works well. The only thing that is difficult (for my model, at least - it's a couple years old) is that it's harder to make homemade mayonaise in it - drizzling the olive oil in a very small stream is tricky with only the side "pour" opening and having to stop every 10 seconds or so to give it a rest so it wouldn't overheat. Not impossible, just trickier.

We love our Ninja blender. It does an amazing job with crushing ice, which is one of the primary reasons I bought it. I've used it to make everything from smoothies to baby food. I find myself using my food processor a lot less now that I have the Ninja. There are a few things about it that annoy me, but nothing that would make me not want to use it on a consistent basis. The bottom of the pitcher has small openings (where it connects to the base) that are a constant trap for food particles, so I rarely run it through the dishwasher. It's really easy to clean, so it's not a huge issue. The other thing I dont like is the lid. I always seem to make a mess with the pour spot (this could easily be user error :)) and I've never seemed to get the hang of getting it on correctly. The lid has to be secured in a certain way with the handle down in order for the blender to run and I never seem to be able to get it attached very easily. I'm always afraid I'm going to break a piece of it off as I try to slide it on just right. Aside from these very insignifcant issues, I really do love the blender and find that its a great multi tasker in the kitchen.

I don't think the version I have would work for dough at all because of the way it's built. But, I have a food processor and a stand mixer. I use those for dough, so I haven't tried dough in the Ninja.

I'm with you on that one.

Hubby is bound and determined ;) to get the all-deluxe Ninja -- but I am hesitant as my Kitchen Aid (IMO) can do the heavy duty jobs. I would like to get the smaller Ninja?

We love our Ninja blender. It does an amazing job with crushing ice, which is one of the primary reasons I bought it. I've used it to make everything from smoothies to baby food. I find myself using my food processor a lot less now that I have the Ninja. There are a few things about it that annoy me, but nothing that would make me not want to use it on a consistent basis. The bottom of the pitcher has small openings (where it connects to the base) that are a constant trap for food particles, so I rarely run it through the dishwasher. It's really easy to clean, so it's not a huge issue. The other thing I dont like is the lid. I always seem to make a mess with the pour spot (this could easily be user error :)) and I've never seemed to get the hang of getting it on correctly. The lid has to be secured in a certain way with the handle down in order for the blender to run and I never seem to be able to get it attached very easily. I'm always afraid I'm going to break a piece of it off as I try to slide it on just right. Aside from these very insignifcant issues, I really do love the blender and find that its a great multi tasker in the kitchen.

I would like to have hubby use the Ninja for morning smoothies or shakes. He uses a protein powder regimen and I'd love for him to incorporate fresh fruit or greek yogurt. But not sure I want the HUGE model, kwim?

I had told my mom that I wanted a new blender, so she gave me a gift card (she didn't want me to have to pack a giant blender for such a long car ride). I bought this Ninja Blender. It is more powerful than the smaller ones.

I have used it nearly every day for smoothies (my kids are skinny, we're trying to put weight on them). It works *SO* much better than my old blender. If I'm using ice, then I put that in first and blend it before adding anything else. If I put in ice last, then I get chunks of ice. My smoothies typically include frozen fruit, yogurt, avocados, cottage cheese, etc.

Wait. Time-out. I have to know more about this cottage-cheese-in-the-blender thing you're doing. I am intrigued.

Wait. Time-out. I have to know more about this cottage-cheese-in-the-blender thing you're doing. I am intrigued.

Like I said, my kids are skinny and the smoothie goal is to fatten them up. So, one smoothie that I make has full fat cottage cheese, avocados, banana, dry powdered milk and chocolate syrup. Lots of calories is the goal.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest prickey

I stumbled on this site while doing a search to find a forum that discusses Ninja recipes. I have already raised my two boys (both of whom have grown into fine, Christian young men), but I hope you won't mind my answering the question about using the Ninja for dough making.

I have the Ninja 1200, sold at Wal-Mart. It comes with both a small and large pitcher. The 1100 or 1200 models have the most powerful motors in the Ninja family and can handle just about any task with ease, including making cookie dough. I don't like that the dough blade only fits the smaller pitcher. Since I like to make cookie dough in large batches I will continue to use my Cuisinart mixer for that--although I did try out the Ninja and it mixed the dough with no problem. If you make small batches of dough, you may want to use the Ninja.

What I mainly use my Ninja for, every day, is to make healthful smoothies. My only complaint is that I can't blend tiny seeds (such as blackberry or kiwi) into oblivion, or completely pulverize leaves when making green smoothies, as you can with a Vitamix. However, my smoothies are delicious and I can live with a bit of texture. The Ninja kitchen system 1200 costs $159 vs. $550+ for a Vitamix. Without the buying the whole system, you can buy the Ninja with just the large pitcher for under $100. I can throw in frozen fruits, ice cubes, a handful of almonds, whole baby carrots, whole kiwis, pineapple slices with the core (more vitamins), or whatever fruits and greens I have on hand. The Ninja handles it all. I don't believe there is any other blender in this price range that can do that. I have tried five or six, including a smoothie maker.

I agree with Rbsmrter about possibility of food particles getting into the bottom of the pitcher, on the outside. I still put mine into the dishwasher regularly. It doesn't usually happen, but if it does, it will wash out again. It does not affect anything you put in the inside of the pitcher. I have found the Ninja to be the easiest to clean of any blender I have owned. My lids go on easily unless I mix up the lids for the small and large pitchers. Don't know why the company didn't make the lids interchangeable when they are the same size.

I would definately recommend this blender, unless you can afford a Vitamix or Blendtec.

I have the Ninja Master Prep system.

http://www.target.com/p/Ninja-Master-Prep-Professional-Black-Silver/-/A-12834027

It's been great. I have used just the largest pitcher from the system. It works great for my smoothies.

All the fruit in my smoothies is frozen, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's great at making snow for snow cones as well.

I have the Ninja Master Prep system.

http://www.target.com/p/Ninja-Master-Prep-Professional-Black-Silver/-/A-12834027

It's been great. I have used just the largest pitcher from the system. It works great for my smoothies.

All the fruit in my smoothies is frozen, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's great at making snow for snow cones as well.

I saw this one and it was quite inexpensive at Walmart yesterday.

Do you think it may not mince since the fruit would be frozen?

OODLES of reviews saying not for smoothies on the other Ninja's. I use frozen fruit as well...could that be a difference in smooth verses chew?

we received the ninja as a gift from my FIL. it's no better than my cheap blender imo. i received a small one and a larger one. the lids have to be locked on to use, so i can't add anything to it without stopping it first and taking the lid off. it isn't a bad blender, i just don't think it's a great blender. i would much prefer the vitamix.

I have this one and I love it. I love the three individual containers because I have 3 kids so I can make the kids their own personal smoothies every morning. Then they can put the little travel lid on and drink it during read alouds. It's super fast and then I don't have a separate container to wash. The smoothies turn out great and super smooth. We do some combination of a frozen banana, OJ, frozen strawberries and pineapples, coconut oil, and spinach. No problems whatsoever.

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Pulse-Blender-BL205-Cookbook/dp/B006JE5Y1Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1329497808&sr=8-6

I read somewhere that you could grind grains with it. I just ordered the ninja ks 1100...if you order from their site and use coupon code ninjamaster for 16% off and if that one is expired try register4 for 15% off.

I looked high and low for the most versatile machine I could. I was looking for something I could purée stuff and grind rice and oatmeal for baby cereal sine I am going to make my own baby food this time around.