Menu

What would you make of this?

Homeschooling my boys was so different than homeschooling my girls. The both truly have struggles, although with dd8 I will never truly know what she truly DOES and DOESN'T know, but that's another issue that I don't want to address here. I have discussed that on my adoption boards.

Anyway, I do know dd12 has some issues which can cause cognitive issues. I'm certain she has ADD in a pretty severe form, too.

When she was was a toddler, I always had concerns about her communication, issues with pronunciation, proper words, etc. I was told for years that she was normal. Then when she was inps for first grade, I wanted her tested. She picked up an odd way of communicating, would pause and let out a moan, had a hard time getting her words out,especially accurately. I was concerned there may be a stutter beginning. She went through some testing and then I started to have her read out loud daily to me, and we also did choral reading. These were both advised by the speech pathologist at school.

She dramatically improved and although sometimes she cant get her thoughts out quickly, it is a rare issue now. I don't know if this is a part of our current issue or not so I'm explaining this all ahead of time.

I'm wondering if she has some sort of processing issue. One thing that is new this year is this. We will do our science reading or history, and if I ask her to tell me what she learned, or tell me the main points, she freezes. Se really can't do it. But, if I ask her questions about what we just read, she usually gets them all right.

Also,blast week she wrote the word completement. I told her it wasn't a word. She was supposed to add a siffixnto complete, so yhe word was supposed to be a form of that. However, when I told her repeateadly that it wasn't a word, she looked it up in the dictionary and insisted it was. I finally looked at what she was looking at, and it was the word compliment. I asked her to find the difference between the word complement and her word completement, she was not able to. Now I know the words are similar, but don't you think she should have been able to see they were not the same word? We weren't tense, she wasn't nervous or stressed, but she couldn't see the difference between the two.

I've questioned several times whether or not to have herntested. It will cost us a minimum uf $1,500, but really, how would it even benefit us?

She also has pretty severe ADD issues.

Any advice, comments or input? If hive done testing, how did it benefit you? Does any of the above sound familiar with any of your children?

I've been homeschooling for 14 years and don't quite know what to make of this.

Some thoughts.

I don't always remember things as well when someone reads them to me as I do reading them myself. If someone is reading aloud and it's not just for entertainment, then I want to read along. I don't know if that's 'normal' or what, but that's how I am. So is your dd reading the science or history you're quizzing her about, or listening to it?

About not being able to tell the words apart at age 12? Yeah, that would concern me. I'd probably come up with my own 'test' to see if that was an anomaly, or if it's an issue she needed addressed.

Regarding the words......... There are times I do this. My dd (15) does it, my ds (10) does it and so does dh. We fix things in our heads. So, put a problem infront of us and mentally we fix it, without realizing it. All of us (well ds is still learning) figured out to stop and search methodically. In the case of words, one letter at a time. Otherwise, we blur over the top and never see the problem.

Thanks, Bethany.

To clarify, though, I am reading to her and she is either listening or following along. When I ask her to tell me what she learned or remembered, or ask her to tell me the main points, she can't. She will ask me to quiz her. When I do quiz her, she can answer all or most questions perfectly fine.:confused:

Thanks, Bethany.

To clarify, though, I am reading to her and she is either listening or following along. When I ask her to tell me what she learned or remembered, or ask her to tell me the main points, she can't. She will ask me to quiz her. When I do quiz her, she can answer all or most questions perfectly fine.:confused:

Maybe she hasn't figured out what main points are. Has she started outlining?

Middle ds is one that thought every point was important (his narrations could end up longer than the original piece). When he started outlining, though, he discovered that every point was not important. He's gotten much better with that now.

Regarding the words......... There are times I do this. My dd (15) does it, my ds (10) does it and so does dh. We fix things in our heads. So, put a problem infront of us and mentally we fix it, without realizing it. All of us (well ds is still learning) figured out to stop and search methodically. In the case of words, one letter at a time. Otherwise, we blur over the top and never see the problem.

So if yoy had those two words side by side, it would be hard for you to see the differences? Yes, I do know complETEment isn't a word.;)

Maybe she hasn't figured out what main points are. Has she started outlining?

Middle ds is one that thought every point was important (his narrations could end up longer than the original piece). When he started outlining, though, he discovered that every point was not important. He's gotten much better with that now.

We just started to outline. My concern is that she can't share ANYTHING about what was just read on her own. Te only way she can is to answer specific questions.

You bring up a good point, though. Now that she's started to outline, maybe it will be easier.

My dd used to be like this. You had to ask specific questions (still do sometimes). It's too vague to just ask what did you learn. It freaks her out. Have you tried working on having her summarize, like what you do in WWE? It helped my dd when I asked her to tell me in three sentences what we just read. Something with really specific parameters.

ETA: Oh, and my dd would totally have done what your daughter did with compliment/completement. I would have to circle the error for her to see it, making it visually distinct.

If it helps, my dd fits squarely into the right brain learner/visual spatial learner category, which has been invaluable to me in teaching her.

Edited by perkybunch

We just started to outline. My concern is that she can't share ANYTHING about what was just read on her own. Te only way she can is to answer specific questions.

You bring up a good point, though. Now that she's started to outline, maybe it will be easier.

I believe the above is fairly common, particularly with ADD issues. I like specific questions, and tend to freeze with summarizing. My brain tends to scream "Just tell me what you want to know and I'll give it to you!!!"

Outlining is likely to help on that front.

She sounds like my 12 yo daughter. I have also been doing this a long time (16 years) and have just about pulled my hair out trying to figure out what to do with this kid. She is also very, very literal. So she doesn't pick up on any nuances in her reading and doesn't make connections that seem obvious to me.

Yesterday after reading she could tell me nothing about what was read. I had her read again, writing the main idea in each paragraph after she read it. I'm not sure if that will help or not yet, but as I said, I'm still trying to figure this one out. :confused: