Menu

If I need a new FOB for my car

Ok, read more since posting.....it can be done but it is a bit tricky.

If I had KNOWN it was $400 to replace I might have been more diligent to not lose the dang thing.

We have one right now, but no extras......and if I lose that one, you supposedly can't get into the car at all due to the stupid computer. Then it is $1,500 to replace the computer to new keys.

I think DH can do this himself....and it might really be worth a try. It would be around $80 total instead of $400.

Dawn

The instructions are odd......things like

1. Turn key on and off 5 times

2. pump gas pedal twice, brakes once

3. open and close driver's door 3 times

I kept reading:

1. Stand on one foot and jump 5 times

2. Close your eyes and walk backwards twice, forward once (do NOT open your eyes)

3. Hop up and down four times while counting backwards

:lol::lol::lol:

I ordered from ebay. $11 for the computer chip key (that I need to have cut when it comes) and $55 for the FOB that I will need to program.

Let's hope it ends up being only $66 instead of $400 from the dealership!

If this works I may get another spare as well.

Dawn

I have done this in the past with my Ford mondeo. Was literally a case of buying a fob on ebay and then following instructions which requred the master key and one other spare. Then you had to do something strange in the correnct order, insert keys and do something else and then the new key was programmed. It was easy though.

I put that car into diagnostics mode once too which required running around it opening an closing doors and pressing the bonnet lock hook thingy a precise number of times and then counting the number of times it beeped and lights flashed-should be an olympic sport.

Edited by lailasmum

It is the electronic remote.

Some of the newer cars have them where you can't even just get in with a key only, you need the FOB to open the doors.

I had a huge issue where the car wash guy locked the key with the FOB in the car while cleaning it.

The locksmith can't even open it because as soon as you Jimmy it open, it IMMEDIATELY re-locks. It is designed that way.

You have to have the FOB unless you don't use it at all and just manually lock your doors, then you can do it that way as I understand it.

Dawn

Could some please put me out of my misery and tell me what a FOB is and why someone would need it for their car?