Menu

does anybody here combine...

their children's handwriting assignments with another subject, like SOTW or science? In other words, do you have your child practice their handwriting by using the narratives from SOTW or some other subject instead of using a handwriting workbook? If so, how do you do this. How do you decided the length of the passage, etc. thanks.

I did. Once dd could form all her letters, I ditched the handwriting book and had her copy her narrations in history. She also did some simple copywork and her spelling words. I figured the length was appropriate--three or four sentences of medium length for second grade, I think.

When we switched to cursive, I had her do the same thing, but she went to school in 3rd grade, so she mostly learned cursive there.

Here are some pictures of her writing, for examples--

Oh, sorry--only one came thru.

Edited by Chris in VA

Yes, we do. We use Cursive First and if she writes her assignments in cursive and it is very neat I count that as handwriting. I was not on the ball in the beginning with handwriting so she's a little behind. But anyways, I have her write cursive for WWE dictations. If she has no dictation that day I'll have her copy her memory verse or a stanza of poetry that she is memorizing. My younger dd is still working on forming her letters so we just use the Cursive First assignments for now. Next year I'll probably do the same as I'm doing with older dd.

As for length, I usually just do a sentence or two, the same amount that she would do in the WWE workbook.

Not sure if any of that was helpful. :confused:

Well, even a handwriting lesson and practice are not going to take very long. The children have to apply what they learned and practiced in the lesson to everything they write. So in essence, everything they write in other subjects is included in their handwriting practice and instruction. In schools, some teachers have two grades for each assignment: one is the actual subject, the other is handwriting.

I used to combine it with WWE. We all do IEW now and I do not enforce great penmanship. I would rather them be a bit sloppy with their writing (the rough draft) and concentrate more on the elements of the paper. We type the final so handwriting is not an issue. I have two sloppy writers and one who is neat. I think it is just in their genes.