Menu

Grammar when there's a significant LD

I have a friend with a young teen who is struggling with her dc's learning issues. One problem is memorizing the parts of speech. It's something they've worked on for years. The dc can only memorize their definitions in order, noun, verb, pronoun, adjective. If she changes the order, verb, adjective, pronoun, noun, it's all forgotten. I want to help her, but my question is, is it really important that he memorize this? If it were me, I'd be focusing on the 3R's and work on grammar in a practical way as in writing sentences and paragraphs with proper spelling and punctuation. My friend asked me for help. Do you have any suggestions?

I've encouraged her to get a full evaluation so she knows exactly what she's dealing with. I know they had one does many, many years ago, but it may be time for something new. I have been trying to dig up information locally about neurophych's but I haven't been able to talk to parents to get a solid recommendation.

If anyone has even dealt with a children's hospital for an evaluation, what entry route do you take? I know a hospital that does this but it's not clear what the entry route is for learning disabilities?

Memorizing definitions isn't learning grammar, IMO. Being able to identify the parts of speech in a sentence is what she should be focusing on.

My dyslexic son did very well with MCT. It gave him a solid big picture understanding of grammar which has been helpful in discussing his writing.

within the context of writing. Focus primarily on sentence and paragraph structure. I'd focus mostly on only the most practical aspects of grammar which is mechanics and usage (basic verb tense - past/present/future, punctuation - periods, question marks, colons, semi-colons and especially commas, and use of stuff like there/they're/their & to, too, two).

Focusing on memorizing definitions can be a tremendous waste of time if the kiddo doesn't know where and how to use apostrophes and commas.

Like all topics with LD kids, setting priorites is incredibly important.

I have a friend with a young teen who is struggling with her dc's learning issues. One problem is memorizing the parts of speech. It's something they've worked on for years. The dc can only memorize their definitions in order, noun, verb, pronoun, adjective. If she changes the order, verb, adjective, pronoun, noun, it's all forgotten. I want to help her, but my question is, is it really important that he memorize this? If it were me, I'd be focusing on the 3R's and work on grammar in a practical way as in writing sentences and paragraphs with proper spelling and punctuation. My friend asked me for help. Do you have any suggestions?

I've encouraged her to get a full evaluation so she knows exactly what she's dealing with. I know they had one does many, many years ago, but it may be time for something new. I have been trying to dig up information locally about neurophych's but I haven't been able to talk to parents to get a solid recommendation.

If anyone has even dealt with a children's hospital for an evaluation, what entry route do you take? I know a hospital that does this but it's not clear what the entry route is for learning disabilities?

Our children's hospital seems to have the newbie neuropsychs or ones who are interested in research. When I looked at their profiles, their particular interests didn't seem to match up with LD/SN at all. It was more stuff like academic and emotional outcomes of kids getting chemo, that sort of thing. The field of neuropsychology is very WIDE. The neuropsych we used had started out at the children's hospital and since moved into private practice. I would try googling the LD/SN term you think most fits plus neuropsychologist and your state and see what pops up.