Menu

Confession: I LOVE weight lifting!

I'm using The New Rules of Lifting for Women and love the program!

I have that book sitting next to my bed. I like the idea of functional movements and the efficiency of multi muscle exercises. How far into the book are you?

I am using Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. I used it last fall and took a break from the weights, just started back in the weight room on Monday.

How exciting that you have the book! The functional way of training makes so much sense to me. It is amazing how just a few exercises can give a whole-body effect.

I'm still in phase one; I'm parking here to build strength.

I was able to do squats tonight with a 20 pound barbell on my shoulders. Not much for a lot of people, but huge for me! lol.

I just do it at home. My basement is starting to look like a gym. :lol:

I have always enjoyed weight lifting. I started back about a year ago after being sedentary for way too long. I never understood why more women didn't like to lift because it's the best way to change the shape of your body. I also read in a magazine several years ago that almost all of the arm weakness elderly women experience could be avoided and eliminated with a consistent workout routine that is kept up after age 40.

Me too! I loved it the first time I reached to scratch a formerly jiggly area that had become firm. And I love it when I shock men when this petite little lady can lift and carry extremely heavy items. I am very small and went to move a couch with dh one day. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the people watching when dh lifted one end and I lifted the other up to shoulder level and walked it out to the truck. Ha!

I'm just getting back into using the machines at my gym, after getting derailed last year. My legs are KILLING me today. I look forward to my muscles adapting a bit. I don't mind being sore, but when I am hobbling slowly about, that's no good.

I signed up with a trainer at my gym this year, to keep me motivated, accountable, and educated about what I should be doing. Hopefully by the end of the year, I will have established the habit well enough that I won't slack off again, and I will be so much more knowledgeable about how to get and stay fit.

Wendi

No.

I love cardio. But I am happy you like it! :)

I love cardio too! :D Most days I do 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer and about 3 days a week I am training for a 5K. So glad you love it too! :)

You like the Beachbody workouts, don't you? I love Shakeology and I write and do VA work for lots of Beachbody coaches :)

I started weight lifting about 2 years ago. I love the way it has made me so conscious of how my body moves...I am not sure if I am describing that correctly? Maybe a better description would be to say I like the control I feel in my body. Even in just the little things...like reaching for a heavy box on a high shelf, or reaching way out for something, and feeling my core strength.

I have also noticed that my posture is better than before.

I have not read the book you mentioned. I will have to put a hold on it at the library!

I love cardio too! :D Most days I do 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer and about 3 days a week I am training for a 5K. So glad you love it too! :)

You like the Beachbody workouts, don't you? I love Shakeology and I write and do VA work for lots of Beachbody coaches :)

Meh. They are o.k.

:tongue_smilie:

Me me me

I use to attend a gym but we moved to the middle of nowhere. we have a bow flex and I did it for awhile but it just got boring.

I have been doing Chalean Extreme. This program of periodization has taken the boredom out of weights. It was the first time I did a dumbbell workout. Its just totally different than any type of weight training I have done in the past.

I'm using The New Rules of Lifting for Women and love the program!

I used to weight lift years ago and I loved it when I did it too. I don't know why I stopped. :confused: I guess I just got distracted with other things. I'm so glad it's working for you! :) My library has the book you are using and I just put it on hold. Maybe it will get me re-discovering the fun of weights again too. Thanks. :)

Tracy,

if you want to buy another weight lifting book (if.....:lol:), get a copy of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength 3th edition. It is awesome. Mark Rippetoe is a genius at explaining how to do the big five (squat, bench, press, deadlift, clean) with correct form. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327062134&sr=8-1

Tracy,

if you want to buy another weight lifting book (if.....:lol:), get a copy of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength 3th edition. It is awesome. Mark Rippetoe is a genius at explaining how to do the big five (squat, bench, press, deadlift, clean) with correct form. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327062134&sr=8-1

Thank you so much. I am concerned that my form may not be just right, and with two bulging discs and two pinched nerves in my back, I need good form! I will look into this book :)

There is also an accompanying DVD, which is very good. I find it helpful to see people doing those exercises, coached by Mark Rippetoe, because I work out at home. If money is tight, you could look up some youtube movies by Mark Rippetoe.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/B001U9FDP2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1327065262&sr=8-12

Tracy,

I love lifting. Dh was a competitive deadlifter who taught me correct form.:001_smile:

I totally believe that lifting is one of the best things a woman can do for herself. Wtg Tracy.

I love lifting. Dh was a competitive deadlifter who taught me correct form.:001_smile:

I totally believe that lifting is one of the best things a woman can do for herself. Wtg Tracy.

I've actually stopped doing the deadlift until I am able to have someone show me perfect form. Wish your dh could help! lol. I'm seriously thinking of hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions to check my form.:)

I much prefer strength training to cardio. Years ago, I started at our local high schhool with an adult evening course taught be the football coach. Then I went to a gym & machines, mainly. Then stopped for kids....

I just started in a group class that does circuit training, more strength than cardio, with free weights, kettlebells, etc. I used to think that I would never pay for something I could do for free at home, but I totally changed my opinion -- the trainer goes at a much more intense pace than I would ever do by myself and has such a great variety of exercises that it is never boring. Plus, he can check that everybody's form is decent.

I am impressed with those who can do it alone -- what a great level of discipline! I'm impressed.

I've only been lifting weights for a few weeks, but I am totally hooked. I love the new way my body operates and feels. Wow. Why didn't I start this years ago??

Anybody else like to lift?

YES! I just started several weeks ago as well. I never realized how much I would like it! My chiro has been trying to get me to lift for a while now but I put him off thinking I wouldn't like it. I wish I'd started years ago!!

Me, too! I've been doing it for over four years now. I began when I was forty in an attempt to increase my bone mass. But I love it and will do it for life. for the first time in my life, I have muscles, not big ones, because that's just not in my genetics. I also have increased strength that benefits me in practical ways in my day to day life. I love it!

I like it, too!

I have been doing several dvds at home that incorporate light weights in circuit training. Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones, Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training, Brazil Butt Lift's Sculpt. But, I just started doing Les Mills Pump from Beach Body. It's great! It incorporates some barbell work which I had never done before. It took me about a week to find the right amount of weight and the correct level of dvd for my fitness level - it starts out for true beginners, which I wasn't really since I was in pretty good shape. Now that I have found my sweet spot in the program, I am loving it!

Highly recommend!

I started a week ago at a gym and love using the weight machines. Have no idea what I am doing but I follow the little diagram on the machine, do 8-10 reps and do all the machines for upper body one day and then all the machines for lower the next.

I'll check out those books as the gym as free weights , a really scary looking machine and kettle balls.

There is also an accompanying DVD, which is very good. I find it helpful to see people doing those exercises, coached by Mark Rippetoe, because I work out at home. If money is tight, you could look up some youtube movies by Mark Rippetoe.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/B001U9FDP2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1327065262&sr=8-12

Wow. This looks great!

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/B001U9FDP2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1327065262&sr=8-12[/quote

Which do you think would be most helpful--the DVD or the book? I am inclined to get the DVD, so that I can actually see form. What do you think?

That's difficult to say. I think both are very good.

I'm not being helpful, I know :D.

The book is really chockful of information, makes your head spin and that can make it difficult to remember everything. I think, if I have to chose....the DVD will get you started and the book will be useful for years while perfecting your lifts.

ETA: I'm not an experienced weight lifter (yet :D), so it might be a good idea to ask someone with more experience, like justamouse's husband.

Edited by Tress

That's difficult to say. I think both are very good.

I'm not being helpful, I know :D.

The book is really chockful of information, makes your head spin and that can make it difficult to remember everything. I think, if I have to chose....the DVD will get you started and the book will be useful for years while perfecting your lifts.

ETA: I'm not an experienced weight lifter (yet :D), so it might be a good idea to ask someone with more experience, like justamouse's husband.

Tress, I just ordered them both. I am so glad you told me about this guy. I had some leftover Christmas money so I went for it! Thank you!

I've been working more w weights and balance ball (core secrets DVDs) and loooove how strong I feel and how much more toned I am...and I'm a runner! I used to love weight training (free and machine) but had been focusing more on rumning/cardio training....likely to a fault. Can't wait to check out all the recommendations!!! Thanks

I've gotten out of the swing of weight lifting. Sigh. I need to get back to it. We have a bench and steel weights in our basement, so there's really no excuse.

On the bright side, 16yo dd now lifts.

I like Female Body Breakthrough by Rachel Cosgrove, who is, I think, Alwyn Cosgrove's wife -- he was one of the authors of the first book that Tracy linked.

Tress, I just ordered them both. I am so glad you told me about this guy. I had some leftover Christmas money so I went for it! Thank you!

Cool!!! I hope you will love the book and DVD as much as I do. Remember, it's not a book you read in one sitting....that would make your head explode :lol:.

Edited by Tress
typo

I love weightlifting also! I did it for years when I was in grad school in my 30s. I'm now in my 40s and have started back w/ P90x and now P90X2. Having muscle really helps to burn calories and I like that I don't have to ask Dh to heavy work for me. And when he hurt is back, I really had to step up w/ doing the heavy duty work so having muscle came in handy. :001_smile: And I need something to burn the calories from those chocolate chip cookies I like to eat. :lol:

Capt_Uhura