Menu

Censoring movies: What makes you say no?

It's been an area of compromise at our house, because I would have held back a LOT more than dh in the early days, and he's now starting to see things my way but it's hard to reign in, ya know?

Anyway, going on our current standards, we censor more for sensuality/sex scenes than for violence, although even at that it depends on the kind of violence. We don't let the boys watch movies that glamorize war or make war/fighting seem attractive, but we'll tolerate movies that show the reality of it. So, both older boys have watched parts of Band of Brothers, for example. Not all of it, but some. And they've all watched Lord of the Rings, any comic book based movie, things like that. Yet, the last Batman, The Dark Knight, was really too much.

I don't know...it's kind of a fluid thing at our house, with the decision made based on all kinds of things and hard to pin down and explain in print. Definitely not a flat out "oh, it's rated this, therefore......" kind of thing. More a "why is it rated that? Can the boys handle that level of violence? ooh, excessive language, no, skip that...." and then different choices based on the sensitivities of the child in question.