Menu

Math ?s for Unschoolers

Life of Fred, LOL. Okay, we're not complete unschoolers, but pretty relaxed, and this is what we do.

ETA: We want the kids to have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry, so we'll go at least that far with LOF. If they need more beyond that, then they will learn what they need when they need it.

Edited by milovaný

Agreeing with Ellie. We want the kids to have at least a very basic understanding of algebra and geometry, so we'll go at least that far with LOF. If they need more beyond that, then they will learn what they need when they need it.

I transcribe college classes for a living, and just finished doing a between-terms three week long Trigonometry class. I think they learned in three weeks what I learned in six months in high school 25+ years ago. And it all made sense to me and I could now see (more easily) that this really is true. They will learn it when they need it and a lot of it can be learned quickly.

If the dc need to know advanced maths, they will learn them. And if textbooks are the best way to do that, then they'll use them.

I am very curious how that works. So, if your kid decides as a 12th grader he wants to go into STEM, how is he going to relearn four years of rigorous higher math in a semester?

I hear this argument all the time from unschoolers, but I have not seen anybody actually do this.

I am very curious how that works. So, if your kid decides as a 12th grader he wants to go into STEM, how is he going to relearn four years of rigorous higher math in a semester?

I hear this argument all the time from unschoolers, but I have not seen anybody actually do this.

I don't know what STEM is, but I do know of unschoolers who have chosen to go to college and needed algebra and above, and managed to do it. I would guess that they decided when they were younger than 17 or 18, though.

I don't know what STEM is, but I do know of unschoolers who have chosen to go to college and needed algebra and above, and managed to do it. I would guess that they decided when they were younger than 17 or 18, though.

STEM - science, technology, engineering, math.

So basically where anything below calculus is a remedial course that does not count towards degree requirements.

LOL. I just watched that video linked in Milovany's siggie for the first time. The whole family is dying. :lol:

:D :D :D

Just spreading the joy, LOL. I sent it to some homeschoolers I know; one of the fathers works in a math department on a university campus. He showed it to the whole department; they loved it.