Menu

HOD users(others welcome to chime in)...talk to me!

Dustybug

We love HOD. A lot. But.....

I'm anxious about running multiple guides and about feeling a little too boxed in. My DD is in LHFHG. She could move faster in math then what the TM lays out, she's ahead in the L.A part (we are getting ready to start the ERs from Beyond this coming week and we are only on Unit 10 of LHFHG). I know these parts are easily tweaked, but I still don't care for using 2 guides to teach one child, flipping back and forth between them, etc. Also, once DS starts LHFHG, I'm already feeling stress about how that will work. I know people do multiple guides all the time, but any schedule that I have ever seen someone else post makes me sweat bullets. Until the more independent years of HOD, the idea of doing X boxes with this child then switching over to another child in another guide and going back and forth really just makes my head want to spin.

So.....I've been thinking of trying a more WTM approach and doing a 4 year history cycle so that I could put my 2 oldest together in History, Bible, and Science, and then just doing separate L.A. and math. I'm looking over other curriculums and getting a headache. I'm scared that if we leave HOD, I'll miss it and want to come back, but I'm also stressed about how I can possibly handle (eventually) 3 guides at once. Help! Advice? Suggestions? Anything! Talk me down or point me in another direction....I just need some guidance. I will be purchasing next year's curriculum within the next month, so I need to figure this out!:confused::confused::confused:

I am actually in the process of emailing you (found your email on your blog), because I have a lot to say on this particular subject. But as close in age as your oldest two are, there is no reason why you can't combine them in the same guide. Second, I tried LHFHG and hated it. As you are, I hated trying to do the boxes when I was supposed to. I would just ignore the LA and Math boxes and go at her own pace, forget what the guide says, lol. For the boxes that fit together (if you decide to stick with HOD), then I would come up with your own weekly grid for those, so you can at least not feel so boxed in that you must do this on this day, but you will have a week to give yourself some wiggle room. I am right where you are........I left HOD to do Ancients this year, but I feel something is missing. Although I dislike LHFHG, I think that Bigger and up look very good and I am reconsidering using HOD but making it work for ME, instead of the other way around. Another option (and one I am considering), is doing Adventures to combine and then Bigger the following year. My middle dd is only 1 grade level behind her sister in writing and probably 1/2 to 1 level behind in reading. So I will combine them, even if my middle dd is too young for a guide by what HOD says. Anyway, I was going to email you all of my reasoning and such, lol, and probably still will when I get some time.

Well.....on one hand, almost anything u use will not fit perfect or will cause u to flip between resources.

Especially with multiple kids. :) this has been an issue for me....finding the perfect fit. Truth? It doesn't exist.

I use the parts of HOD I love mixed with a history rotation. Still ironing out how that works exactly, but we r making it through. :lol:

I am in the same boat as you...I'd be running CTC and Beyond next year and then 3 guides the year after that.

I love Preparing and I love HOD's concept and I love having everything laid out for me. I just dont think I can easily run 2 or 3 Guides. It would involve too much time and tweaking on my part and I truly don't like the kids having too much independent work. I would have to run a super strict schedule and I just dont think I can do it. I am going to try combining and I have decided to head back to the WTM way. We did SOTW 1 and then Preparing, so I didnt want to do CTC and repeat Ancients yet again anyways.

So we are doing (as of today lol) for 1st grader and 5th grader:

together

SOTW 2 plus AG (with supplements to make it on level for 5th grader)

CHOLL

Elemental Biology logic stage (just having 1st grader color and read easier books and watch experiments)

5th grader

WWS

R&S 5

MM 5

spelling city

some kind of logic

1st grader

WWE 1

FLL 1

MM 2

spelling city

some kind of thinking skills book

I will miss HOD. I love the looks of CTC and the notebooking pages. I just had to be real with myself and the fact that running 2 guides would be more than I can handle especially if any part of life gets in the way. I definitely do not see how running 3 guides is feasible ( I know some can do it, but very few)

I'm curious to the the responses. We are doing LHFHG, RightStart for math, and SWR for phonics,writing, spelling. Plus lots of extra read alouds. I can't imagine adding another guide. My almost 4yo tags along with DD for our readings and activities (except writing and sometimes math). He has another year before we will start K for him, so next year we can do Bigger without a problem and I think DS can still tag along. When he is in K, DD will be in second grade, doing Beyond if we stick with HOD. Maybe we can wing it for one more year but I'm not sure about the following year--Bigger and Preparing?? Another idea I had is to take DD's second grade year and do MFW adventures plus the SL K read alouds for DS since that focus is world cultures.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you, I'm kind of thinking out loud here and would love to see the advice of other HOD users!

I am running 3 Guides, plus trying to keep up with my high school student using MFW WHL. :001_huh: I started out trying to do EVERYTHING in EVERY Guide. :lol: Right. Ummm...wasn't happening. So, I started looking at the Guides...Beyond and Bigger in particular since those are very close. KWIM? My oldest 2 boys use RtR and are mostly independent. Mostly. Anyway, back to Bigger and Beyond. I combine the Storytime as both suggest reading a novel in a different genre ever several Units or so. Make sense? So, I just read one to all 3 of my dc in those guides (i have 2 in Beyond and 1 in Bigger). I also combine poetry. I use the Beyond Guide for Poetry (as ds10 hasn't used that yet and I don't want my younger 2 to re-do the poetry in Bigger if that makes sense). This saves time. I omit many of the activities and art projects in one Guide or another and combine there, too. It's not the optimal way to run the Guides and if I had 1 dc I'd do it all as written. But, I have 7 dc and there is not way I can do everything AND keep my sanity in tact. :D You could very easily combine given the ages of your dc, depending on the academic abilities of your 4yo in the coming years. OR you could do as a PP said and use MFW Adventures. Something that I had considered, but just loved HOD too much. I am a tweaker and will always be. I can never use a guide 100% as written no matter what publisher it is. As some have said...make the Guide work for you, not the other way around. I HTH a bit. I still haven't found my "groove", FWIW. It's a process.

I am in the same boat as you...I'd be running CTC and Beyond next year and then 3 guides the year after that.

I love Preparing and I love HOD's concept and I love having everything laid out for me. I just dont think I can easily run 2 or 3 Guides. It would involve too much time and tweaking on my part and I truly don't like the kids having too much independent work. I would have to run a super strict schedule and I just dont think I can do it. I am going to try combining and I have decided to head back to the WTM way. . .

I will miss HOD. I love the looks of CTC and the notebooking pages. I just had to be real with myself and the fact that running 2 guides would be more than I can handle especially if any part of life gets in the way. I definitely do not see how running 3 guides is feasible ( I know some can do it, but very few)

:iagree: and identify with all of this. I love HOD on paper. But running multiple guides is too highly structured and rigid here. I start acting CRAZY and run around like a chicken with my head cut off. My kids end up compartmentalized and segmented. I can see this working with kiddos spread out age/grade wise (like maybe 3 or more grades). But, my oldest 3 are only 3.5 years apart. That is light years for combining in a HOD guide but not so many to combine content via other options.

I think HOD is IDEAL with a family whose kids are a bit more spread out so you have time with one kiddo before another one comes up the ranks. When the kids are close in age (like yours, like mine) it seems like they are far enough apart age wise that they don't combine well in HOD (it's so skill integrated) but they're also close enough in age that nobody is truly that independent.

Throw special needs into the mix (SPD, ADHD, kids who can't sit still or focus to SAVE THEIR LIVES) and the Ideal of Independence vanishes.

I hope to use HOD all the way through with my youngest child and with my daughter beginning in Preparing. The boys and I are going to study with Preparing this next school year but we have to move to something else after that. They simply won't be able to combine in CTC. IMHO it is far too advanced for a 9 year old and is a big stretch for many 10 & 11 year olds. My middle son won't be ready for CTC when the oldest is.

I'm curious to the the responses. We are doing LHFHG, RightStart for math, and SWR for phonics,writing, spelling. Plus lots of extra read alouds. I can't imagine adding another guide. My almost 4yo tags along with DD for our readings and activities (except writing and sometimes math). He has another year before we will start K for him, so next year we can do Bigger without a problem and I think DS can still tag along. When he is in K, DD will be in second grade, doing Beyond if we stick with HOD. Maybe we can wing it for one more year but I'm not sure about the following year--Bigger and Preparing?? Another idea I had is to take DD's second grade year and do MFW adventures plus the SL K read alouds for DS since that focus is world cultures.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you, I'm kind of thinking out loud here and would love to see the advice of other HOD users!

If you have two children and are running a guide per kid that is TOTALLY doable. I wouldn't hesitate.....

We love HOD. A lot. But.....

I'm anxious about running multiple guides and about feeling a little too boxed in. My DD is in LHFHG. She could move faster in math then what the TM lays out, she's ahead in the L.A part (we are getting ready to start the ERs from Beyond this coming week and we are only on Unit 10 of LHFHG). I know these parts are easily tweaked, but I still don't care for using 2 guides to teach one child, flipping back and forth between them, etc. Also, once DS starts LHFHG, I'm already feeling stress about how that will work. I know people do multiple guides all the time, but any schedule that I have ever seen someone else post makes me sweat bullets. Until the more independent years of HOD, the idea of doing X boxes with this child then switching over to another child in another guide and going back and forth really just makes my head want to spin.

With regards to using two guides with one child, can you copy the emerging reader schedule each week and stick it in the current guide? Not sure if there is more you are using from Beyond though.

I just started using two guides a month ago. Before starting I was terrified but I'm finding it isn't really that hard. I am using Preparing with two dc and Beyond with two dc as well.

I school the kids in this order;

Latin~four kids together usually 30-40 minutes

Math~with one of the children 20-30 min.

Preparing School~with Caleb and Brent 40-60 minutes which include Reading About History~Storytime~Poetry~History Project and the Rotating Box (research, geography, vocab. etc.).

All About Reading~Lance 10-20 I'm able to check this off via the phonics box

Beyond School~with Ethan and Lance, 40-60 min, which includes Reading About History~Bible Study~Storytime and Science Exploration.

Reading~with Ethan from emerging readers (check off from Reading Choices box).

All About Spelling~Ethan~10-15 min.

R&S Grammar 2~Ethan~10-15 min.

Lunch

All About Spelling and Shurley Grammar with Caleb and Brent.

With my Beyond boys I admit I don't always get to poetry time nor do we listen to the music.

With my Preparing boys I do have them study the Bible verse on their own through the week and I'll do only two days of discussions with them.

I don't do every.single.thing. For instance last week I skipped a day History Project from Prepraing and a Science Exploration from Beyond. I'm okay with this as long as I'm not skipping the samething all the time.

Math here looks something like this~Ethan is using TT3 and does most of this on his own. I teach new concepts here-and-there as well. Lance, if I can fit him in during the day I do. He's in 1st grade, so it's still simple. Brent 4th uses TT5, Caleb & Annette use MUS. They pretty much watch the dvd and do the pages on their own. With math i kind of squeez 5-10 minutes sessions in as needed when they miss problems (just thought I'd throw that out there since it looks like I only do math with one child a day ;))

I love Preparing and I love HOD's concept and I love having everything laid out for me. I just dont think I can easily run 2 or 3 Guides. It would involve too much time and tweaking on my part and I truly don't like the kids having too much independent work. I would have to run a super strict schedule and I just dont think I can do it. I am going to try combining and I have decided to head back to the WTM way. We did SOTW 1 and then Preparing, so I didnt want to do CTC and repeat Ancients yet again anyways.

This is what I thought as well and just the other day I was thinking to myself that it's not as hard as I made it out to be {not that you're doing that}.

With Preparing the independent work that my boys do is;

Independent History Study~Science Exploration~Bible Study. Although with the Bible Study I do sit with them at least twice a week but they study the verse on their own daily.

I feel the balance of my time and the children doing their independent stuff is good.

Things that help me stay on track;

1. Go to bed at a decent hour.

2. Our school starts at 8:00, so I'm prompt to start at that time (althoug there are days we start a little late)

3. Eat a good breakfast or have an easy snack that can be gulped in between sessions;).

4. Start the kids on one thing to get them going while mom is working with another child.

My Preparing boys are 10 and 11 years old. (they are 12 months apart)

My Beyond boys are 7.5 and 9.1 years. old.

Edited by Homeschooling6

We are combining. My dd's are 8 and 6 and are both combined into Beyond. It fits my youngest perfectly, and I just beef it up for the oldest as well as keeping her on 3rd grade level skill subjects.

I plan to do the same thing with my next two when they get to that stage. So that means that until my ds is in 3rd grade, I'll do other things with him until my younger dd is ready to start Beyond in 1st grade. (I don't really plan to use LHFHG. We've really enjoyed FIAR for that stage.)

By that time, my older two will be in the more independent guides.

Maybe your older could do something else until your younger is ready to start LHFHG. Then you could combine them while keeping your older on her grade level for math and LA etc.

Thank you so much for all your replies!

I am actually in the process of emailing you (found your email on your blog), because I have a lot to say on this particular subject. But as close in age as your oldest two are, there is no reason why you can't combine them in the same guide. Second, I tried LHFHG and hated it. As you are, I hated trying to do the boxes when I was supposed to. I would just ignore the LA and Math boxes and go at her own pace, forget what the guide says, lol. For the boxes that fit together (if you decide to stick with HOD), then I would come up with your own weekly grid for those, so you can at least not feel so boxed in that you must do this on this day, but you will have a week to give yourself some wiggle room. I am right where you are........I left HOD to do Ancients this year, but I feel something is missing. Although I dislike LHFHG, I think that Bigger and up look very good and I am reconsidering using HOD but making it work for ME, instead of the other way around. Another option (and one I am considering), is doing Adventures to combine and then Bigger the following year. My middle dd is only 1 grade level behind her sister in writing and probably 1/2 to 1 level behind in reading. So I will combine them, even if my middle dd is too young for a guide by what HOD says. Anyway, I was going to email you all of my reasoning and such, lol, and probably still will when I get some time.

Going to check my email after I type this post. :)

All the bolded is definitely how I feel. I just feel all tense even thinking about when I'd have to have 3 guides going. :001_huh:

I am running 3 Guides, plus trying to keep up with my high school student using MFW WHL. I started out trying to do EVERYTHING in EVERY Guide. Right. Ummm...wasn't happening. So, I started looking at the Guides...Beyond and Bigger in particular since those are very close. KWIM? My oldest 2 boys use RtR and are mostly independent. Mostly. Anyway, back to Bigger and Beyond. I combine the Storytime as both suggest reading a novel in a different genre ever several Units or so. Make sense? So, I just read one to all 3 of my dc in those guides (i have 2 in Beyond and 1 in Bigger). I also combine poetry. I use the Beyond Guide for Poetry (as ds10 hasn't used that yet and I don't want my younger 2 to re-do the poetry in Bigger if that makes sense). This saves time. I omit many of the activities and art projects in one Guide or another and combine there, too. It's not the optimal way to run the Guides and if I had 1 dc I'd do it all as written. But, I have 7 dc and there is not way I can do everything AND keep my sanity in tact. :D You could very easily combine given the ages of your dc, depending on the academic abilities of your 4yo in the coming years. OR you could do as a PP said and use MFW Adventures. Something that I had considered, but just loved HOD too much. I am a tweaker and will always be. I can never use a guide 100% as written no matter what publisher it is. As some have said...make the Guide work for you, not the other way around. I HTH a bit. I still haven't found my "groove", FWIW. It's a process.

and identify with all of this. I love HOD on paper. But running multiple guides is too highly structured and rigid here. I start acting CRAZY and run around like a chicken with my head cut off. My kids end up compartmentalized and segmented. I can see this working with kiddos spread out age/grade wise (like maybe 3 or more grades). But, my oldest 3 are only 3.5 years apart. That is light years for combining in a HOD guide but not so many to combine content via other options.

I think HOD is IDEAL with a family whose kids are a bit more spread out so you have time with one kiddo before another one comes up the ranks. When the kids are close in age (like yours, like mine) it seems like they are far enough apart age wise that they don't combine well in HOD (it's so skill integrated) but they're also close enough in age that nobody is truly that independent.

My 4 year old is bright, but he is NOT even close to where my almost 6 year old is skill wise. They are 22 months apart and when she started schooling, I had WAY more time to work with her on certain things and she also just has a genuine deep love of learning. DS's attention span is far shorter, so all of his preschool learning has come in short bursts. I don't think that combining them would really work. I'd feel like I was either holding DD back or dragging DS along.

With regards to using two guides with one child, can you copy the emerging reader schedule each week and stick it in the current guide? Not sure if there is more you are using from Beyond though.

I just started using two guides a month ago. Before starting I was terrified but I'm finding it isn't really that hard. I am using Preparing with two dc and Beyond with two dc as well.

I school the kids in this order;

Latin~four kids together usually 30-40 minutes

Math~with one of the children 20-30 min.

Preparing School~with Caleb and Brent 40-60 minutes which include Reading About History~Storytime~Poetry~History Project and the Rotating Box (research, geography, vocab. etc.).

All About Reading~Lance 10-20 I'm able to check this off via the phonics box

Beyond School~with Ethan and Lance, 40-60 min, which includes Reading About History~Bible Study~Storytime and Science Exploration.

Reading~with Ethan from emerging readers (check off from Reading Choices box).

All About Spelling~Ethan~10-15 min.

R&S Grammar 2~Ethan~10-15 min.

Lunch

All About Spelling and Shurley Grammar with Caleb and Brent.

With my Beyond boys I admit I don't always get to poetry time nor do we listen to the music.

With my Preparing boys I do have them study the Bible verse on their own through the week and I'll do only two days of discussions with them.

I don't do every.single.thing. For instance last week I skipped a day History Project from Prepraing and a Science Exploration from Beyond. I'm okay with this as long as I'm not skipping the samething all the time.

Math here looks something like this~Ethan is using TT3 and does most of this on his own. I teach new concepts here-and-there as well. Lance, if I can fit him in during the day I do. He's in 1st grade, so it's still simple. Brent 4th uses TT5, Caleb & Annette use MUS. They pretty much watch the dvd and do the pages on their own. With math i kind of squeez 5-10 minutes sessions in as needed when they miss problems (just thought I'd throw that out there since it looks like I only do math with one child a day )

This is what I thought as well and just the other day I was thinking to myself that it's not as hard as I made it out to be {not that you're doing that}.

With Preparing the independent work that my boys do is;

Independent History Study~Science Exploration~Bible Study. Although with the Bible Study I do sit with them at least twice a week but they study the verse on their own daily.

I feel the balance of my time and the children doing their independent stuff is good.

Things that help me stay on track;

1. Go to bed at a decent hour.
  2. Our school starts at 8:00, so I'm prompt to start at that time (althoug there are days we start a little late)
  3. Eat a good breakfast or have an easy snack that can be gulped in between sessions.
  4. Start the kids on one thing to get them going while mom is working with another child.

My Preparing boys are 10 and 11 years old. (they are 12 months apart)

My Beyond boys are 7.5 and 9.1 years. old.

Thanks for sharing your schedule. It made me want to :auto:. lol That's the problem. I'm just sort of high strung with perfectionist tendencies. I'm working on it, but it's hard and that would have me :willy_nilly:... or at least reading it makes me think that. I know it's probably one of those things I'd have to try out before I really know how I'd react, but frankly, I don't have the money to purchase a ton of curriculum only to have it not work out and have to replace it within a couple of weeks, kwim?

As for the bolded, I will also be using the spelling lists with DD from Beyond too I suppose I could copy those as well to make it easier. Food for thought.

Maybe your older could do something else until your younger is ready to start LHFHG. Then you could combine them while keeping your older on her grade level for math and LA etc.

We've already been doing LHFHG. We are only on Unit 10 because of breaks and also doing a few random unit studies here and there. I don't forsee DS being ready for LHFHG for at least another year. Maybe a year and a half. Then I think DD would have outgrown it.

Thank you so much for all your replies!

Going to check my email after I type this post. :)

Thanks for sharing your schedule. It made me want to :auto:. lol That's the problem. I'm just sort of high strung with perfectionist tendencies. I'm working on it, but it's hard and that would have me :willy_nilly:... or at least reading it makes me think that. I know it's probably one of those things I'd have to try out before I really know how I'd react, but frankly, I don't have the money to purchase a ton of curriculum only to have it not work out and have to replace it within a couple of weeks, kwim?

As for the bolded, I will also be using the spelling lists with DD from Beyond too I suppose I could copy those as well to make it easier. Food for thought.

Yes, my schedule is pretty hectic looking but the thing is, it looked that way before HOD as well:001_huh: only I wasn't getting history, science or poetry in. And I wasn't happy with the Bible study we were using. Instead of HOD just insert WWE, Simply Spelling, etc. so for me either way it's a busy day :001_smile:.

I agree though about purchasing only to find it doesn't work, have you looked at HOD's return policy? Maybe if you handle everything really careful you can try it out for a week :tongue_smilie:.

Again, I was terrified to try two HOD guides but I'm doing okay. I'm not saying it's easy but then again, what I was using before wasn't easy either. It all takes time to teach.

Another confession, I'm not starting fresh every week with Unit 1 Day 1~on Monday, Day 2~on Tues. etc. For instance in Beyond today {Thur.}I started Unit 5 Day 1;). With the emerging reader schedule, Ethan is not on the right day either. What I do is pick the book scheduled and he reads a chapter a day but if for some reason we don't get to it that day, I'm not going to stress, he'll just pick up the next day where he left off. I'm trying to keep him close to the reading schedule.

And lastly, we haven't started DITHOR yet. I hope to soon but as of today I don't know how I can squeeze it in.

Anyway, just throwing some more out there. I know HOD is not for everyone or it may not be the right 'season' yet. Three years ago I purchased three guides all excited to start. I ended up selling and going a different route. Now I'm back and ready to try it again.

I'm running 3 guides right now but one of them is Little Hands. I don't exactly follow I schedule per say. Basically what I do is Spanish with everyone then seat work with ds, followed by seat work with dd. I do Little Hands with my 3year old either right before lunch or right after. After lunch I put my youngest down for a nap and I do read alouds with my ds and get him started on his activity. Next I do read alouds with my dd and then we do her activity. She does her copy work while I read to ds, and my ds reads in his room while I'm doing seat work with dd. It really isn't that confusing in practice. If your going to be homeschooling more than one child there is going to be some bouncing around no matter what curriculum you use.

We are combining. My dd's are 8 and 6 and are both combined into Beyond. It fits my youngest perfectly, and I just beef it up for the oldest as well as keeping her on 3rd grade level skill subjects.

I plan to do the same thing with my next two when they get to that stage. So that means that until my ds is in 3rd grade, I'll do other things with him until my younger dd is ready to start Beyond in 1st grade. (I don't really plan to use LHFHG. We've really enjoyed FIAR for that stage.)

By that time, my older two will be in the more independent guides.

:iagree:This almost exacty what I've decided to do. I'm not planning on starting any of my dc in HOD guides until I start them in Preparing in 4th grade (when the independent work starts), except for LHTH in preschool. Keep in mind that each of my dc will be 3 grades apart.

Tentative plan for now:

dd1 and dd2: Expedition Earth for 3rd and K (Zoology 2 for Science)

dd1 and dd2: Preparing for 4th and CHOW with books pulled from All Through the Ages list for 1st (Botany for Science)

dd1 and dd2 and ds: CTC for 5th and TQHYS 1/2 for 2nd (Zoology 3 for Science); LHTH for Pre-K

dd1 and dd2 and ds: R to R for 6th and TQHYS 2/3 for 3rd with Road Trip USA with ds for K (Astronomy for Science).

At this point, dd2 would begin Preparing for 4th so ds would just follow the above schedule that dd2 did when dd1 was in Preparing and up.

I like this plan because the younger 1 or 2 (depending on the year) are studying the same thing as each other and the same science that the oldest is doing. As the oldest moves into the more independent guides, then the others are getting ready to move into HOD.

I'm not worried about skill progression because dd8 hadn't done a single HOD guide since LHTH, but has had no problem with the work in Bigger. I thank the FLL/WWE combo we'd done in first for the seamless transition.