Menu

What time do your children start school (not what time you wake up to exercise)?

Most mornings when do you *aim* to start school  

1. 1. Most mornings when do you *aim* to start school

• 3am-6am
    • 6am-7am
    • 7am-8am
    • 7am-8am
    • 8am-9am
    • 9am-10am
    • 10am-noon
    • noon-5pm
    • sometime between 5pm-3am
    • obligatory other

:tongue_smilie:

With almost 75% of us homeschooling our our Pj's, are we also morning people...or not?

What time do you aim to have the kids start working on their school work by (most days)?

*this is skewed assuming most of us start in the am*

Nicole

Depends on how the baby slept. If I was kept up all night I won't bother trying to function properly until 9:30 or 10:00. If I got enough sleep I'll be ready to go by 8:00. Since my kids are still little (oldest is 7) our schedule depends a lot more on me than it does on them.

We start at 8:45, and I am kind of harsh about it. I am so not a morning person, and I have an early riser, one who would sleep until 10:30 and one somewhere in the middle.

I have struggled with the "let them sleep" mindset, but have found when I do I am never finished with school until after dinner. It drives me crazy and makes me crabby.

So we get up and get dressed and meet at the school table at 8:45. We aren't always happy, but we almost always make it and get started by 9. It makes the afternoons and evenings much happier for everyone when we can have free time, play with friends in the neighborhood and have time for other things.

After reading all the posts this morning about pjs and starting times I am feeling like a mean drill sergeant!

I try to aim for 10 Am, but a lot of times it's 11. My dd (7) needs a lot of sleep (11-12 hrs), so that's where we are right now. My ds (3) is more of an early riser & doesn't seem to need as much sleep as his sister...so once he starts to do schoolwork, I will probably do stuff with him earlier...

But don't feel bad if you start late, that's the beauty of homeschooling...you don't have to be at the school bus stop by 6:30 Am (like the elementary kids in our neighborhood!):001_smile:

We usually start at 8:30, because that's when I get back from dropping my younger ds off at his school.

If for some reason we're all up really early, (say, for instance, the tornado sirens are going off at 4 a.m. and nobody can get back to sleep...not that I'm saying that's happened recently or anything), we'll start earlier, though.

I have a teen who was a bit late in her growth spurt. She is having sleeping problems and so on days she doesn't need to be somewhere earlier (3 days), she gets up somewhere between 9-10:30 and starts about half an hour later. I get up much earlier. She goes to either classes or robotics team and on those days, she leaves 8:15 or 8:40 respectively.

I hate mornings. I keep trying to have them outlawed but it hasn't worked yet. So, I have to function within the parameters of the rest of the world. Thus, our school starts at 8:30. That way we can be finished by around 3 pm, in time for chores and playtime and extracurricular activities. That said, my crazy children will sometimes choose to get up early and get a head start on the day's work. Today, for example, both kids got up at 6 am! Ugh! Not me!

We were going through a really rough patch of my son not waking when his alarm went off and sleeping through me waking him at least twice after that.

So, for the last couple of months, we've been having Dad wake him before leaving for work at shortly after 7:00. I usually get up right around the same time, but take the dog for a walk for 20-30 minutes then.

He is supposed to start schoolwork while I'm out walking, and does so most of the time. This morning, though, I found him fast asleep with his head on his desk when I came back inside. So, it's still a work in progress.

I make him breakfast and read aloud while he eats. After that, he gets dressed and starts schoolwork in earnest. That is supposed to happen by 8:00, but often doesn't until 8:30 or sometimes 9:00.

Still, it's a lot better than 11:00, which is where we were before the new regime.

Huh? 75% in their jammies?? Well, we have never schooled in our jammies...but I will say the kids have slept in their clothes and just started the day in the same ones...but not often. I guess living on a farm we are early people...horses need to be fed early, dogs need to be walked by 7am...breakfast around 7:30 and we start school around 8am...take breaks around 10am...start back...girls were finished by 1 today and my son still has about 2 hours of Physics to complete...I just finished cleaning out the horses hooves, moved them to another pasture...have the girls work to check over and help son with Physics...then off to rowing...these days pass sooo fast!

When we started back after our Christmas break, dh and I decided to get everyone up at 7 a.m. and start school at 8 a.m. We've stuck to it and it has made a huge difference in how our school day goes. I actually feel like dc are learning and concentrating. I've also stopped checking my email and Facebook before we start the day. :) We used to just start whenever I could gather everyone together.

On weekdays, except co-op days (24 Thursdays a yr) the morning is theirs to do chore cards, study AWANA verses, have personal prayer/devotion time, eat breakfast and play. We eat lunch at 12 noon and start school between 12:30 and 1:00 at the latest. We finish up around 5:30 on Mondays, at 4 on Tuesdays, and 3 on Wednesdays and Fridays.

I put obligatory other. Ds 12 wakes up before me anytime between 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. He works on cursive, spelling, reading by himself. We start formal stuff at 11:00 after hubby leaves for work, break for lunch, then continue til 2:30 - 3:00