Menu

Latin Suggestions

mom2myboys

DS10 started off with Minimus at age 9, then Minimus Secundus, and is now doing Galore Park Latin Prep.

Minimus was good fun, and very interesting from the point of view of how the Romans lived, but DS10 found actually learning the Latin a bit tedious in the end. He absolutely loves Latin Prep, though; while it's very thorough, with lots of drill exercises, it's not too rigorous. I do think that the introduction provided by Minimus has helped enormously.

I plan to start Minimus with DS7 a little later in the year. I'll probably try to work through it a bit more quickly with him though, so as to try to avoid the boredom DS10 developed.

Best wishes

Cassy

My dd11 really likes Lively Latin. We've used Minimus in the past, but like a previous poster said, she found it difficult to actually learn the latin with it. My boys 7, 5 are using SSL which I think is a good easy intro to latin with fun songs, but, that might be too young for your 5th grader. My dd has also used LFC but, the plethora of crossword puzzles in the activity book drove her crazy, and she just prefers Lively Latin. I plan to use I Speak Latin with my boys next year, you might be interested in checking that out.

Hope my rambling made some sense! :blush:

Amanda

My dd11 really likes Lively Latin. We've used Minimus in the past, but like a previous poster said, she found it difficult to actually learn the latin with it. My boys 7, 5 are using SSL which I think is a good easy intro to latin with fun songs, but, that might be too young for your 5th grader. My dd has also used LFC but, the plethora of crossword puzzles in the activity book drove her crazy, and she just prefers Lively Latin. I plan to use I Speak Latin with my boys next year, you might be interested in checking that out.

Hope my rambling made some sense! :blush:

Amanda

Thanks for this review.. I was going back and forth between LfCA and LL next year for my dd and I think the crosswords would get to her too=D.

Full disclosure: I have used Prima Latina, Minimus, Lively Latin I, First Form, Second Form, and Henle I.

Question: Do you know any Latin yourself, and how good is your 5th grader in English grammar?

If you know some Latin yourself, and your 5th grader is pretty good in English grammar, there is no reason he can't do a high school program like Henle.

If not, Lively Latin has a good amount of English grammar and is not difficult at all to teach for a parent who doesn't know Latin.

Minimus is fun, but my kids learned more from Lively Latin. The sequence I have settled on is starting Latin in 3rd using Lively Latin (reading Minimus for fun), then switching to Henle in 4th.