Menu

What subject(s) is the focus in your homeschool?

RainbowSprinkles

I don't know what I believe either, but...I don't know how to organize studies without using the Bible as the spine :-0 The same way others here are die hard 4 year history planners, I flounder without starting in Genesis and working my way through. I've realized the CULTURE of Christianity is part of my heritage and...I don't now how to maneuver too far away from it :-0

I stopped knowing what I believe about 7 or 8 years ago and am no closer yet to figuring out what I believe. I keep taking wild forays into alternate religions and then coming right back, like coming home. The house feels empty, but...well...it's still more home than anywhere else, empty or not.

Could have written your post last year myself - it's hard making the jump into something totally foreign religious-wise. I'm in the middle of that jump myself now, since converting to Islam in August.

Ds is 8, and the subjects I do every day, and consider the core of our program, are:

Reading

Math

English

Literature

Science

History

Everything else is gravy. Heavy gravy on Fridays :)

Edited by sagira

Could have written your post last year myself - it's hard making the jump into something totally foreign religious-wise. I'm in the middle of that jump myself now, since converting to Islam in August.

Learn all you can while you are where you are at, but leave the door open to leave...cause...statistically, you are likely to go back to your roots. Religion is about more than religion. When you start seeing all the parallels between your new religion and your roots, or all the new religions you tried and your roots, it just gets easier to go back :-0

Violin is certainly the thing that takes up most of our homeschooling day (actually most of our lives) and seems to bleed into other subjects because dd is learning theory, beginning piano, and loves to learn about lives of composers and music history.

Other daily things include math, foreign languages, and reading. Subjects like science, history, and geography are done twice a week.

I would say the backbone of our program is History. We do all of the subjects but our studies revolve around history quite a bit. This is probably due to the type of program we chose to use - Winter Promise. It is a great well-rounded program that focuses on a historical time period each year. We love having an integrated approach where our language arts and other studies work into our history as much as possible.

Math. No question. Not that we don't consider, well, *everything* we're doing important . . . but math is the focus because a) it's the reason we started homeschooling how and when we did (bad experiences w/ ps math beginning to color dd's whole attitude to school, learning, her own intelligence, etc. , b) it's the only thing we do every.day. no matter what c) it's the only thing I have 3 different curricula for ;). And each curriculum is to address a distinct aspect of math learning, not just 'cause I can't choose! d) it's the thing *I* spend the majority of my time on - prep time, reading before bed, thinking about how to present lessons, thinking about how to explain conceptually, and making sure I really, really deeply understand it myself. e) it's the only thing I really feel is on a "schedule" in that I want to get to a certain level by a certain time - for test prep purposes, college entrance, etc.

Other than that . . . writing is in second place. Writing - either formal writing program, or writing in a subject area - gets done every day. And almost everything else we do in LA is *for* writing, as I always remind DD - we don't study spelling and grammar just to kill time, it's *for* becoming a good writer!

So, in terms of time and energy spent, math and writing are it. Interesting question.

Rose, You are my kindred spirit. I echo your sentiments exactly. Math is front & center. Writing a close second. Music third.

We read our Bibles daily, listen to worship/hymns -- but I don't consider it a subject like math. It is our life. Jesus is first place (or at least I want Him to be.)

We do

Language Arts - spelling, vocabulary, grammar and writing in English and Spanish

Math in English and Spanish

World History

Lots of Science

Mythology - as a start to world religions and cultures

Dance - I was a dancer, and my son loves to dance, so lots of dance

Soccer

Edited by Xilka

My oldest is a fluent reader and on grade level in math. The younger two are early fluent readers and are natural at math and spelling. Math is a daily get-er-done subject, but certainly not a focus and mostly done independently. We don't do phonics, and spelling/handwriting doesn't take us long. So skills are important to me, but they don't take much of our time and aren't really our passion. (Though I should spend more time with the boys on writing skills.)

History and literature would be top on our list as far as what we spend time, energy, and passion on. We love to read, specifically. When reviewing our lessons each month, our history and literature book lists make it obvious that that is where our hearts are at. :)

Grammar and vocabulary tie for second place. (Thanks to MCT.)

Our focus is now circle time (morning basket time). This is the best part of the day and the kids usually beg to do it on weekends as well. We do devotions (Bible reading, Catholic Treasure Box books, picture books, etc), memorization (prayers, Scripture and poetry), read a couple of picture books (usually one in German and one about our current unit study which is South America right now), singing and dancing, calesthenics and German. It usually takes from 30-45 minutes. The kids love it (even the toddler).

Our other biggest focus in MATH! I agree with everyone else on this one! Reading, science and history are also done quite often, but math is the only thing that I make sure gets done after circle time!