Menu

What subject(s) is the focus in your homeschool?

RainbowSprinkles

I'm interested to know what the focus subject is in your homeschool. I know it probably changes depending on the ages and different stages dc go through.

My dd ( almost 10) started violin lessons 2 weeks ago, obviously it's not the most important subject we do, but I do require daily practice. She loves it so far, so getting her to practice is not an issue.

Anyway, I definitely think this is one of the more important things as we continue on.

Her other two daily subjects are Math and Writing. We always get to them even if nothing else gets done.

The other thing I'd like to get to daily (but haven't achieved it yet) is studying German. DD loves it.We did great for awhile, but these last few weeks we have just been reviewing what she has learned so far.

For my DS7, the focus is definitely on reading and Math. We do these two things daily,even if nothing else gets done.

He also just started piano lessons and loves it! I do want make this a daily requirement.

So I guess our focus is at the skill-based subjects.

Tell me what's most important to you! :lurk5:

We do Math, writing, phonics, grammar, reading, piano, and religion daily. We do all of it, so I guess SKILLS is our focus.

Things I'm really having a hard time getting to that I had planned to do this year: history, science, a read-aloud, greek myths, poetry, and art study. :( The fun stuff.

Like you, since we practice every day, violin seems to get the most attention.

However, I feel that math and reading are the most important.

My son is 7 and it feels like we have been focused on reading for a long time. So much, that math took a back seat until last year when I finally woke up and decided we needed to get with it.

P.E. Sigh.

I joke about it. Well, I used to joke about it. Now I just kind of admit it. My 14 and 11 year olds are competitive athletes; 20 hours/week in the gym for one, and 8 swim practices of 1.5 to 2 hours each, for the other. The mom of one of my swimmer daughter's friends asked me just this week what we do for P.E. Our daughters were in the pool right in front of us when she asked this. I just laughed, pointed and said, "That."

After P.E., math and science are probably our priorities, because no one (in our house) cries over math or science. I'm big on playing to our strengths. ;)

Terri

Since I have young ones Reading/Phonics and Math are the main focus of our day.

Ds is almost finished with OPG and is cruising through ETC at a nice pace so hopefully this spring/summer we can finally cut back on that and enjoy some time doing history and science.

Math and grammar get done everyday without fail. We love history, but we don't always get to it. Performing arts/PE get a lot of time. Gymnastics 1 day, dance 2 days, and theatre 1-2 days.

I hope to add piano back in next year, after the baby is born.

#1 Goal: Imparting hope, life, joy, peace, wonder, and the character to live a God-honoring life

Accomplished through Bible storytelling, Christian doctrine, hymns & worship songs, Scripture & poetry memory work, children's literature, and the power of the Holy Spirit

#2 Goal: Learning and practicing basic academic skills

Achieved through phonics, reading, handwriting, spelling, copywork, dictation, grammar, narration, composition, math, and the power of patient, persistent, daily practice

#3 Goal: Growing in our understanding of the world and how it works

Attempted through music lessons, world language exposure (aka "French" ;)), Geography RAs & activities, History RAs & activities, Science RAs & activities, nature walks & outdoor time, field trips, travel, friendships, family time, daily chores, and the power of time to ripen the fruit to maturity

For ds, we focus on math, Latin and writing. It's not school if we don't do these. We hit the other subjects regularly, but if we only do those three I call it a school day.

For dd, it is phonics and math. Once she is reading fluently, we will move focus to math, Latin, and writing.

Math, grammar/reading, and science. In that order. Everything else is gravy.

DH is an engineer. I'm a biologist. And, Im embarrassed to admit it on *this* forum...history is one of our very last subjects. Usually, it's part of the "reading" portion of our day.

None, this year. This year we have an excellent balance going because my son is using Calvert and my dd is combined into several of his "extras." That's why I LOVE CALVERT.

When I homeschool eclectically, I tend to be very literature and history-heavy, because that is what I like. I tend to completely neglect Science and the Arts.

However, we have always made math the number one priority, meaning that when we take off from school, we often do math. Math is the first subject of the day; when our minds are fresh. We also advance our students or do extra review more often with math, paying more attention to their exact needs. But I do this, not because we are math-focused but because I am so NOT math-focused, that I overcompensate my natural proclivity to overlook math (which is super important to me, unlike Science and the arts) and therefore I made a very conscientious decision to treat math in this manner.

Another one for math, here. I've noticed that math is the one subject that slides backwards the most if not tackled regularly. So, if we only get one thing done on a particular day, it's math. If we get two things done, it's math and piano.

When they were very little, reading came first, but now that they have a strong foundation there and do it voluntarily on their own, math.

For both, math, writing, history, science, piano. I really want to fit in more language, art, and literature.

For my older ds it is ancient Greek by his choice, that is very time consuming and covers a lot of language skills, grammar, vocab, etc. so that is a lot of the rest of LA for him besides writing.

Since mine are very young, our strongest foci right now are mechanics: reading, writing (both the physical act of penmanship and the mechanics of composition and grammar), and math. It's a very rare day that those are the only subjects we cover, but when it does happen that we have a day with limited school time, those are the ones we do. Reading is foundational to everything else, so until my kids are reading on about a fourth-grade level (checkmark for the six year-old, not yet for the five year-old), that's the top priority. It's difficult to write a good essay if you can't write a good paragraph, difficult to write a good paragraph if you can't write a good sentence, and difficult to write a good sentence if you have to focus on penmanship in addition to composition and grammar, so until penmanship is effortless and tidy, that's also a daily endeavor. Math, of course, is also a foundational subject and is likewise covered five days a week (three longer lessons/discovery sessions, and two very short days with math software to increase speed once a concept is thoroughly mastered).

But again, it's a very rare that those are the only subjects covered. We also do grammar, writing, history, art (history and making of), science, logic, spanish, spelling, ballet, and jujitsu, some more frequently than others, but never less than once a week. Those numbers will change as the kids get older and some subjects are completed. I'm hoping to have Spanish fluent in two years, French two years after that, and then do two years of Latin so that foreign languages will be done before the high school years. We're beginning a whole-family gradual immersion process to facilitate that. Spelling should be finished as a formal subject for the six year-old by about June (perhaps next January for the five year-old), and grammar should be finished by the end of the middle school years, all of which will open up more time for history, science, and writing to become daily subjects. Reading and math will retain their "daily" status. Logic and art will likely stay at the once-or-twice per week level.

When I was homeschooling my boys it was Bible, math, classical languages in that order, of both importance and scheduling.

Bible was...well...a LOT though. Morning worship was always over an hour, and sometimes got picked back up again later for up to 3 hours. We often did Bible based unit studies. So many subjects were included.

For my self-study, my SOW unit studies are officially "Bible" but...well, they are also a whole lot more.

My seizures have caused some brain damage and I can't divide anymore and I should be attending to that more...I guess...but...since I'm still seizing and frying more brain cells...some days, I figure why bother; I might as well do whatever I want to. So I just do the SOW, and attend mostly to the language arts gaps that have formed. I've lost a lot of ability to organize my writing, and that was never an ultra strong strength anyway. I am all over suffering from lack of organization and lack of context skills, so do best with remedial and multi-age resources.

Math. No question. Not that we don't consider, well, *everything* we're doing important . . . but math is the focus because a) it's the reason we started homeschooling how and when we did (bad experiences w/ ps math beginning to color dd's whole attitude to school, learning, her own intelligence, etc. , b) it's the only thing we do every.day. no matter what c) it's the only thing I have 3 different curricula for ;). And each curriculum is to address a distinct aspect of math learning, not just 'cause I can't choose! d) it's the thing *I* spend the majority of my time on - prep time, reading before bed, thinking about how to present lessons, thinking about how to explain conceptually, and making sure I really, really deeply understand it myself. e) it's the only thing I really feel is on a "schedule" in that I want to get to a certain level by a certain time - for test prep purposes, college entrance, etc.

Other than that . . . writing is in second place. Writing - either formal writing program, or writing in a subject area - gets done every day. And almost everything else we do in LA is *for* writing, as I always remind DD - we don't study spelling and grammar just to kill time, it's *for* becoming a good writer!

So, in terms of time and energy spent, math and writing are it. Interesting question.

TORAH! :001_smile:

I can't believe that there have been so few responses for Bible as a priority, and not a single Bible alone, like this torah response :-0

I'm not saying that is wrong. I'm just...VERY surprised! I wonder if this reflects the changing face of homeschooling, or reflects just this forum.

I can't believe that there have been so few responses for Bible as a priority, and not a single Bible alone, like this torah response :-0

I'm not saying that is wrong. I'm just...VERY surprised! I wonder if this reflects the changing face of homeschooling, or reflects just this forum.

I think it does reflect the changing face of homeschoolers - when I was homeschooled as a kid you could pretty much count on a homeschooler being a WASP - white anglo-saxon protestant - and homeschooling for religious reasons for the most part. Now homeschooling has become mainstream, and so much more diverse!

As for religion in the home school - right now ours is up in the air, so DD will take a year off from religious studies while I sort out what I really believe religiously and want to pass on to her.

I think it does reflect the changing face of homeschoolers - when I was homeschooled as a kid you could pretty much count on a homeschooler being a WASP - white anglo-saxon protestant - and homeschooling for religious reasons for the most part. Now homeschooling has become mainstream, and so much more diverse!

As for religion in the home school - right now ours is up in the air, so DD will take a year off from religious studies while I sort out what I really believe religiously and want to pass on to her.

I don't know what I believe either, but...I don't know how to organize studies without using the Bible as the spine :-0 The same way others here are die hard 4 year history planners, I flounder without starting in Genesis and working my way through. I've realized the CULTURE of Christianity is part of my heritage and...I don't now how to maneuver too far away from it :-0

I stopped knowing what I believe about 7 or 8 years ago and am no closer yet to figuring out what I believe. I keep taking wild forays into alternate religions and then coming right back, like coming home. The house feels empty, but...well...it's still more home than anywhere else, empty or not.