Menu

Classical Conversations Essentials: Helpful hints on how to balance the requirements

for that class with my other homeschool goals. I tend to be more CM in my style, doing lots of different subjects but not for too long (20-30 minutes). This works well for our family, especially for my son since he has a hard time focusing for long periods of time on subjects. If he understands something, it clicks, he can pick the material up rather quickly.

This is my second year doing the Essentials program. I feel like the writing is finally coming together. I find the list of things to include on a weekly basis is still too much for my son. So, we don't include everything. This is hard for me because I am a check list person and can't check everything on the list off. :) I actually think my son could include most everything, but with the assignments turn around time being so quick, it makes it hard. Since the writing portion has assignments to hand in, I find I focus a lot of attention there.

In regards to the grammar, I find the way the material is presented doesn't always make sense to me. I am spending lots of time researching it so I can understand and explain it to my son. When I focus on doing just those two things, my other homeschool stuff falls by the wayside. My son dislikes the class. He didn't like it last year, he still doesn't like it this year. He does ok with foundations, but for Essentials, it just seems like things are not sinking in the same way. However, I will say that it isn't that he isn't learning some of the material from being in class. He just zones out. Honestly, going to the Essentials class has become a battle. I think some of the kids know more and can answer the questions at a snap of the fingers. He needs more time to process. Also, he tends to freeze up when put on the spot. I don't know how to make this better. I have to figure out what to do next year. I like the accountability and classroom learning taking place, but I am tired of feeling like I am always behind. I seriously have considered for this second half not doing the writing portion at all and going back so he can really grasp the grammar. I just feel like grammar is like math, if you don't get the basics, sown the road it will be a problem. Thoughts? Helpful hints?

Edited by Gratefulgal

We just don't do the grammar. It does not work for my girls. They pick up bits and pieces of the memory work in class but I do not require it at home. We are using Junior Analytical Grammar now and we love it. It makes more sense to the girls and to me : )

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/junior-analytical-grammar

For the writing, I do a lot of modeling. It is finally clicking for them but this is the second year of IEW. I agree, the pace often feels rushed.

Sorry, I just saw your question. Analytical Grammar gives most of what they need to keep up with the questions. The girls also get a of the answers from just listening to it in class. Analytical Grammar does not cover sentence types until much later in the program (we are not there yet). I just don't get why my kid needs to be able to spout off the four sentence structures and then can't give an example of any of them. I have told the girls "raise your hand when you know the answer to something"....it kind of gets them off the hook for the things they don't know. I also let the tutor know that we are not stressing memory work for grammar the way that Essentials lays it all out. I have told her that I have the girls memorize the info as we apply it. It just works that way for us. The memory work was just not making sense here.

I hope you find a solution.

If you are having to do that much outside work to figure it out, it sounds like you might not have an effective tutor. Is there another class at the same campus you could move to? Or another campus locally? There is very little training, and unless you happen to get a tutor who had previous experience in teaching English, Essentials is difficult.

You can change the assignments to fit your needs. I would make them shorter or do every other one, and then spend more time really working on those. Quality over quantity.

And don't forget that you are paying good money for this class. The tutor should be willing to help you a lot. They aren't just there to teach the kiddos who already know the material or pick it up quickly; they should be coming alongside your son and helping him, too. :001_smile:

If you are having to do that much outside work to figure it out, it sounds like you might not have an effective tutor. Is there another class at the same campus you could move to? Or another campus locally? There is very little training, and unless you happen to get a tutor who had previous experience in teaching English, Essentials is difficult.

Well, there is this. Very nice person but it is even hard for me to pay attention. The director is working the person. The other campus would be 45 minutes away. I have thought about doing it another day at the ohter campus. The other factor, I think, that plays into doing Essentials is we are so tired after foundations.