Menu

Please help: Potter's School Writers Workshop

If you have experience with this class can you provide feedback on the pros and cons? Which teacher did you have? Would your recommend that teacher? I'm grateful for any help you can provide so I can determine if it'd be a good fit for my dd.

ETA: She'll be an 8th grader if I enroll her in this class in the fall so she'll probably be older than most students.

Edited by Marla

I hesitate to be the first to answer your question, but I know you are probably anxious to get some response. : )

We really like Writer's Workshop (WW) here. My dd took it as a 6th grader. Being a good writer, it was not difficult for her. Yet the class challenged her to write in different genres and helped her to become a stronger writer. It laid a good foundation for English 1 and 2.

On the other hand, ds is taking WW now as a 7th grader. Not being a natural writer, it was a struggle at first, but I am seeing big improvement in his writing and confidence. I am glad I waited one more year for him to take this class. It would have been too much for him as a 6th grader.

The way it works is like this: student writes draft 1, teacher conference it, then they work on draft 2 (in the beginning parents will be the partner, they later get a classmate), then they work on it more, turn it in for teacher to conference it one more time (TC) before they can publish it in the forum.

What we like about WW:

variety of assignments

outside accountability - having deadlines help us to be diligent

teacher and classmate feedback (they start having partners to conference each other's paper)

class interaction - my kids really enjoy having classmates from all over the country and they get to read their classmates' finished work.

they work on different pieces at the same time (maybe a draft 1 with a TC)

learning how to conference other's work

one parent will need to sit in class for the 1st semester. sometimes it can be confusing about the technical side of class (how to upload work, using the correct file name and stuff like that.) But overall we really like WW and would highly recommend it.

Both kids have Mrs. Smith for WW and she is the best! She is very encouraging and at the same time she challenges her students.

I hope this helps you make the decision.

Shirley

:bigear:

I am intrigued with this class as well as the new Adventures In Writing for grade 5. I love TPS English classes! I hope Mrs. Fred is still teaching when dd is old enough to take a class from her. My older dd loved English 2 last year. My former high school English teacher wrote all the Narnia class materials for TPS.

:bigear:

I am intrigued with this class as well as the new Adventures In Writing for grade 5. I love TPS English classes! I hope Mrs. Fred is still teaching when dd is old enough to take a class from her. My older dd loved English 2 last year. My former high school English teacher wrote all the Narnia class materials for TPS.

My son has had Mrs. Fred for the last two years. He likes her as a teacher!

My 13yo took WW two years ago. I was really impressed with the class. He loved the interaction with the other students and getting outside evaluation of his papers. I love the way the papers go through the entire writing process. It is great for the students to learn how to revise papers multiple times. I highly recommend the class. The teacher he had is not teaching the class this year.

My daughter will probably take WW next year.

It's so helpful to get feedback from those who have taken the class. Thanks for your time!:)

TPS recommends 6-7th graders take Writers Workshop, but my dd will be in 8th grade if I enroll her in this class. I'm wondering if I should look into English 1 instead? The reason I'm looking at Writers Workshop is because I've not had her do a lot of writing so I need to shore up this particular area which is why I want to outsource writing to a qualified teacher. The difficulty is finding the class that will be the best fit. She has studied grammar consistently so I don't particularly need a class that has a strong grammar component.

For those who have taken English 1, can you elaborate on the focus of that particular class? Writing, grammar, literature? Thanks for your help!

It's so helpful to get feedback from those who have taken the class. Thanks for your time!:)

TPS recommends 6-7th graders take Writers Workshop, but my dd will be in 8th grade if I enroll her in this class. I'm wondering if I should look into English 1 instead? The reason I'm looking at Writers Workshop is because I've not had her do a lot of writing so I need to shore up this particular area which is why I want to outsource writing to a qualified teacher. The difficulty is finding the class that will be the best fit. She has studied grammar consistently so I don't particularly need a class that has a strong grammar component.

For those who have taken English 1, can you elaborate on the focus of that particular class? Writing, grammar, literature? Thanks for your help!

It sounds like Writer's Workshop is more what you are looking for in a class. English 1 has three components: grammar (lots of it!), literature, and writing. The entire third quarter is devoted to poetry. English 1 contains a LOT of grammar.

WW students write more papers than English 1. When my son took WW, many of the students were older. If you are looking for the teacher to give a grade, that is one thing you won't get in WW. The teacher does not assign grades for the class. Each WW student progresses at his/her own pace.

Ds is taking WW this year with Mrs. Rathbun. He has always hated writing, so I waited until he was 12. He tells me all the time that he LOVES this class. He can't wait for class every week, and his writing has improved by leaps and bounds. In addition, I have seen him work harder on our outside grammar work. He wants to improve, so that he can be sure to get into the next class. Writing across all subjects has improved. Before it was like pulling nails to get 1 paragraph out of him, but now every thing is usually multiple paragraphs without me asking.

I would say it was scary for him at first, when he realized he would be writing five paragraph papers, and doing so almost every week. He soon realized that it wasn't as difficult as he thought it would be. Working on new papers, while revising old ones has been great as well. He is forced to organize/prioritize his time, as well as hone the skills he has picked up.

His teacher is wonderful, and answers emails very quickly. I think that their focus on making comments that are positive, yet specific have been key to ds's success. He doesn't take criticism that well. Even when his teacher is pointing out what he needs to improve, it is done in a way that my son responds very well to.

HTH

Danielle

My son is in Writer's Workshop this year with Mrs. Thomas. He's 12 and in 6th grade, and hasn't really had much writing instruction. He never liked writing and it was like pulling teeth to get him to write.

He's grown by leaps and bounds this year! It's been fabulous. He likes it and he recognizes how he's improved. The course is great at walking kids through the writing process and teaching them how to improve (revise and edit). It's also been great to get feedback.

My ds is one of the younger kids in the class...many of the boys especially are older. This may be partly due to the fact that we are overseas, so that class may be a little different.

We have been so pleased that we're planning on ds taking English 1 in the fall.

What type of writing assignments did your student work on while in Writers Workshop? Someone mentioned that they wrote a five paragraph essay. How soon was the essay introduced? September, October? Did they learn to write a research paper? A book review? Just curious to know what they've been exposed to by the end of the year. I've discovered 3-4 possible writing classes for my dd and am trying to decide which will work best for her. Thanks for taking time to comment.

What type of writing assignments did your student work on while in Writers Workshop? Someone mentioned that they wrote a five paragraph essay. How soon was the essay introduced? September, October? Did they learn to write a research paper? A book review? Just curious to know what they've been exposed to by the end of the year. I've discovered 3-4 possible writing classes for my dd and am trying to decide which will work best for her. Thanks for taking time to comment.

My ds is just finishing the first semester. So far he's done a personal narrative, a character sketch, a "personal choice", a process essay, a folktale, and now is working on a comparison/contrast. There have been other short exercises like writing about holidays, catchy leads, similes, elaboration.

During the rest of the school year he will do a fiction piece, pro-con essay, critique, and a family story. So, there is not a research paper or book review.

What we like about WW:

variety of assignments

outside accountability - having deadlines help us to be diligent

teacher and classmate feedback (they start having partners to conference each other's paper)

class interaction - my kids really enjoy having classmates from all over the country and they get to read their classmates' finished work.

When the class meets weekly, is it "live" where students reply in a chat box as the teacher presents her material?

ETA: I watched the online class sample so have my answer! It is a "live" interactive class. Does anyone know who the teacher is in the class sample on TPS website? I liked her a lot.

Edited by Marla

My ds is just finishing the first semester. So far he's done a personal narrative, a character sketch, a "personal choice", a process essay, a folktale, and now is working on a comparison/contrast. There have been other short exercises like writing about holidays, catchy leads, similes, elaboration.

During the rest of the school year he will do a fiction piece, pro-con essay, critique, and a family story. So, there is not a research paper or book review.

Sounds like a lot of variety! :) When you say "essay", are we talking about 5 paragraphs? Thanks so much for your input! It is so helpful!

Yes, the class is "live" with the teacher presenting and students type in the chat box. But students need a microphone to present their writings in class. Mrs. Smith is very good at keeping all students engaged and she makes sure the chatting is related to class activity.

Process essay is about 5 paragraphs. Compare and Contrast requires 6 paragraphs.

Like others have mentioned, English 1 has grammar, writing, and literature. Dd also did a power point presentation on a poet.

The teachers in TPS are very helpful and they return emails quickly, usually within a day. They probably will have an open house before registration so you can get more information. Take a look at the placement tests on their website. They may recommend a different class if they feel it fits the student better.

The current teacher's listed for Writers Workshop are the following:

Diana Thomas

Christian Corrin

Loretta Smith

Lorri Wilke

Stephanie Rathbun

Who do you recommend? I really appreciate your feedback. It's always helpful to receive input from firsthand experience.

We've only had Mrs. Smith for both kids. Dd liked her so much she insisted ds should take her class as well. We really like her. She gives clear expectations, is encouraging yet at the same time stretches the students to do more. We appreciate her sense of humor that makes writing fun. She is also very good at communicating with parents.

We don't have any experience with the other teachers you mentioned, but I am sure they are all good. We like all the teachers we've had at TPS so far. They may have different teachers for WW for next year though. It seems to change a little every year.

The current teacher's listed for Writers Workshop are the following:

Diana Thomas

Christian Corrin

Loretta Smith

Lorri Wilke

Stephanie Rathbun

Who do you recommend? I really appreciate your feedback. It's always helpful to receive input from firsthand experience.

We've been very happy with Mrs. Thomas, but she is overseas, so that adds a different dynamic. Sometimes she is traveling or has internet issues or something that is unique to overseas living. But we are overseas too so we appreciate her understanding of our situation.

What text(s) do they use for English 1? What about English 2 & 3? Thanks!

Are you asking just about grammar? They've been changing things in the last couple of years, but English 1 didn't have a text. The teacher's taught the grammar during part of the class and had the assignments on powerpoint slides.

For English 3, TPS uses Analytical Grammar. So far they've done about one Unit per week. I'm pretty sure the goal is to finish it all in one year.

English 2 has a very small grammar component with no text. She sends them to websites to to some exercises.

Thanks Maryann! Yes, I wanted to know more about the grammar component of their English classes.

I'm thinking my dd would benefit from a focused writing class like Writer's Workshop since writing hasn't been a strong enough focus for us, but since she will be in 8th grade, I'm wondering if it'd be best to see if she places into English 1 so she'll be able to move forward in TPS' progression of English classes. The grammar portion of the English 1 test will be easy for her to pass; it is the writing portion that she won't be as strong in so not sure what TPS will recommend for her.

If we doo Writers Workshop in 8th, she'll do English 1 in 9th versus English 1 in 8th, English 2 in 9th.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Maryann! Yes, I wanted to know more about the grammar component of their English classes.

I'm thinking my dd would benefit from a focused writing class like Writer's Workshop since writing hasn't been a strong enough focus for us, but since she will be in 8th grade, I'm wondering if it'd be best to see if she places into English 1 so she'll be able to move forward in TPS' progression of English classes. The grammar portion of the English 1 test will be easy for her to pass; it is the writing portion that she won't be as strong in so not sure what TPS will recommend for her.

If we doo Writers Workshop in 8th, she'll do English 1 in 9th versus English 1 in 8th, English 2 in 9th.

Any thoughts?

If you really want to focus on writing, I'd go for Writer's Workshop. After that, you can talk to the teacher about taking a placement test and going directly into English 2. You'll actually do a lot more writing in WW than in Eng. 1. As long as your daughter is good with grammar, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

If you really want to focus on writing, I'd go for Writer's Workshop. After that, you can talk to the teacher about taking a placement test and going directly into English 2. You'll actually do a lot more writing in WW than in Eng. 1. As long as your daughter is good with grammar, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of her going from WW straight into English 2! I took a peek at the English 2 placement test and dd should do fine on the grammar portion as they are all concepts she has already covered, but again, the writing portion is the issue since we've not covered 5 paragraph essays yet but that skill would be addressed in WW.

In the placement test for English 2, it said to do the following:

A. Define these terms in your own words as they relate to composition writing. Feel free to give examples. 3 pts each

• lead (or “hookâ€)

• thesis statement

• elaboration

• topic sentence

• transition words

Will dd be able to answer this portion based on what she learns in Writer's Workshop? I'm wondering if WW will give her the necessary composition skills to pass the comp portion of English 2? Or is English 1 necessary for that purpose?

Does TPS have an open house in their English department for new students? If so, does anyone know when it is usually held?

I apologize for all the questions, but it is so helpful to discuss options with those familiar with the classes. Thanks for your help!

I hadn't thought about the possibility of her going from WW straight into English 2! I took a peek at the English 2 placement test and dd should do fine on the grammar portion as they are all concepts she has already covered, but again, the writing portion is the issue since we've not covered 5 paragraph essays yet but that skill would be addressed in WW.

In the placement test for English 2, it said to do the following:

A. Define these terms in your own words as they relate to composition writing. Feel free to give examples. 3 pts each

• lead (or “hook”)

• thesis statement

• elaboration

• topic sentence

• transition words

Will dd be able to answer this portion based on what she learns in Writer's Workshop? I'm wondering if WW will give her the necessary composition skills to pass the comp portion of English 2? Or is English 1 necessary for that purpose?

Does TPS have an open house in their English department for new students? If so, does anyone know when it is usually held?

I apologize for all the questions, but it is so helpful to discuss options with those familiar with the classes. Thanks for your help!

Yes, WW should give her all the necessary tools to pass the comp portion of English 2. I wouldn't think she'd have any problem passing the placement test, especially if you help her specifically prepare for it ahead of time. The writing process is the same in Eng. 2 as in WW. You'd probably need to specifically dialogue with the WW and Eng. 2 teachers to tell them why you would like to skip Eng. 1.

There will be an open house for WW and Eng 1. The English teachers are very good about holding open houses. I know registration is near the end of March/beginning of April.

Two questions for those who have taken Potter's School classes --

1. How large a part does religion play in the online classes? I saw in the sample Writer's Workshop class that a prayer was mentioned in the agenda, though I didn't hear any sort of praying actually happen. Also, one of the writing assignments dealt with "strengthening your faith". Can anybody speak to this aspect of the program?

2. How well does the technology work? In the sample class the teacher referred to documents as if we could see them, but they weren't visible to me. I don't know if the sample is meant to be that way or if it's a tech issue. Also I could not quit the program and had to end up force-quitting my browser.

Two questions for those who have taken Potter's School classes --

1. How large a part does religion play in the online classes? I saw in the sample Writer's Workshop class that a prayer was mentioned in the agenda, though I didn't hear any sort of praying actually happen. Also, one of the writing assignments dealt with "strengthening your faith". Can anybody speak to this aspect of the program? Maybe you could contact a teacher ahead of time if you have concerns. The WW class is very good.

2. How well does the technology work? In the sample class the teacher referred to documents as if we could see them, but they weren't visible to me. I don't know if the sample is meant to be that way or if it's a tech issue. Also I could not quit the program and had to end up force-quitting my browser.

1. How much religion figures into the class depends on the class and the teacher. I don't specifically remember how much it figures in WW. The teachers always pray at the beginning. One of the papers talks about your faith. TPS pretty much assumes the students will be Christian. Eng. 1 and above definitely involve Christian worldview as it applies to the literature selections. Eng. 3 has scripture verses every week and scripture memorization tests. Even though I'm a Christian, I wish they would remove this part of the class. I hate for my student's English grade to go down just because he doesn't do well on a Scripture memory test.

2. The technology works fine most of the time. We've hardly had any trouble. The teacher generally controls the display, and you see the documents on her screen.

1. How much religion figures into the class depends on the class and the teacher. I don't specifically remember how much it figures in WW. The teachers always pray at the beginning. One of the papers talks about your faith. TPS pretty much assumes the students will be Christian. Eng. 1 and above definitely involve Christian worldview as it applies to the literature selections. Eng. 3 has scripture verses every week and scripture memorization tests. Even though I'm a Christian, I wish they would remove this part of the class. I hate for my student's English grade to go down just because he doesn't do well on a Scripture memory test.

2. The technology works fine most of the time. We've hardly had any trouble. The teacher generally controls the display, and you see the documents on her screen.

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback.

I'm considering this as an option, but I'm going to have to learn more about the religious expectation. We aren't Christian, so if that's a requirement of students then it won't work for us. But I was quite impressed with the class sample, and I believe my ds could really benefit from WW next year.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have online samples on a blog somewhere of the typical writing style taught in WW? Or would you be willing to share something via msg? I would love to see writing samples.

I am considering this for my dd11 this coming year. We are working our way through WWS and it's going well, and also have completed CC Fable and some of Narrative. I plan to use WWS2 when it is released, but I would love for my dd to have a chance to work with a different writing teacher. Sometimes mom is not the best one to offer advice in this particular subject, and it might get 'taken' differently if a new teacher was involved.

Can someone tell me how the writing style differs from WWS's? I think my main reluctance is that with WWS you aren't really learned a 5 paragraph essay style (at least not this year) and I actually LIKE that. I also don't like basic transitions of First, then, next, finally. I want the writing to flow a bit more naturally than that. I would love dd to have help with required phrases in her sentences (ala Sentence Composing style) and get a lot of practice writing.

Can anyone offer their thoughts? Thanks so much!

Oh, no. Do they expect you to be Christian. We aren't Christian but I am looking for a "live online class like this" for other subjects besides Writing. PP mentioned kids being older in the class. Would it be too much for a 10 year old 6th grader?

Any other secular options like this?

I am hoping someone can give their take on TPS WW as well as the higher level composition classes they offer.

As I mentioned, I am thinking of enrolling my ddd11 in TPS Writer's Workshop next fall. Can you tell me if you were pleased with the course?

Did you feel like by the end of the year your child was able to write confidently in the areas that were taught?

What type of writing instruction had you done prior to WW?

Do you have samples of work from WW that you would be willing to email me? sadonnah@gmail.com I have used WT1, CC Fable & parts of CC narrative as well as WWS. We will finish up WWS in about 8 weeks and have enjoyed it.

My main issue is that I need there to be an outside source to monitor and critique dd's work. WWS has been a huge blessing, but I am just feeling like I need some help with this 'writing thing!" I am concerned though that having learned the unique WWS approach to writing papers, that if I go with WW we will be relegated to a 5 paragraph .. This is what I am going to tell you .. First, Then, Next, Finally approach to writing and I just REALLY want to steer clear of that.

I am hoping you can tell me more about what is expected and the types of writing that are done in WW as well as the levels above it? Thank you so much!

• 3 years later...

Is Writing workshop two semester long course?Are the essays and assignments are graded by teachers?Right now,this course isn't on TPS Curriculum page?Which courses do you recommend for 5th/6th Grader writing,grammer and Literature courses at TPS?

Is Writing workshop two semester long course?Are the essays and assignments are graded by teachers?Right now,this course isn't on TPS Curriculum page?Which courses do you recommend for 5th/6th Grader writing,grammer and Literature courses at TPS?

TPS courses have been revised since this post. This thread is 3 years old and there is no more Writer's Workshop class. The current TPS offering for 5th grade is Adventures in Writing and the current 6th grade offering is Writing Fundamentals 6, but you need to placement test into Writing Fundamentals and many 6th graders place into Adventures in Writing. TPS also offers a separate grammar course for both levels but there is no TPS literature course for this age range. Really, if you are interested in TPS writing classes, it would be best to have your child take the placement test and see where they are placed. Both classes are full year, two semester classes with a weekly live component and assignments graded by teachers.