Menu

Field trip ideas?

PeacefulChaos

Thinking about what to do for field trips next year.

We try to do relatively 'big' trips. I mean that to say, a trip to something like the fire station isn't a field trip to us. :) This year we went to the GA Aquarium in October, and we're going to the NMNH in DC in March (we were originally going tomorrow, but life happened and we decided it would be better to move it a month or two. It'll probably be in late March now.) and to a local botanical gardens in May (that one is not a big one, so to speak). We're also going to the Saint Louis Zoo in April, as well as doing some other things on our trip in MO. Anyway, that's just to get an idea of what we like to do.

We'll be in SOTW 2 and we're doing Astronomy next year.

We're in the mid-atlantic region of the US.

I don't know what is available in your area, but I'd check area museums for traveling exhibits related to medieval times (any country). If you have a Medieval Times dinner theatre type place near you, then I'd probably go to that, too. If you have a good Medieval Faire of some sort in your area, I'd attend that. Be careful with those. Some are more oriented toward fantasy (fairies, etc.) than to actual medieval history.

For astronomy, we've visited area universities that have planetariums. Our local university also brings in speakers once a month and does night sky viewings afterward, all open to the public. If you're in the D.C. area, then you'll have access to at least one of the space shuttles if they've been put on display already, as well as the National aviation museum, which will include some space related things.... You might check out local star gazing groups, too, and see about joining them....

We are studying the middle ages/Renaissance this year. I highly recommend going to the Renaissance Fair if you have one in your area. We had such a good time and the kids really got a lot out of it. I have heard great things about the Medieval Times place, but we didnt have the $$ to go this year. We are also planning to visit a planetarium and go to a place where we can pan for gold or gems.

This isn't going to be helpful at all, but your post made me smile. We're in SOTW 2 right now and just read about Australia. I SO wanted to hop on a plane and spend a week (ok, month) in Australia and New Zealand... So that's my advice. Start planning now :)

A bit more seriously, have you been to the Tellus Museum in Cartersville, GA? It is fantastic and I know there is an observatory. Maybe that is a more helpful suggestion.

Check out the nearest chapter of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and see if they have any activities. Last year we attended the Estrella Wars in Arizona. It's like a Ren Fest without the entertainment hoopla. (I do love a good Ren Fest though!) The SCA felt more authentic because you can watch real artisans at work. My kids loved seeing the outdoor kitchen (complete with rabbits roasting on the spit). The Estrella Wars were opened to visitors for one day only...and it was free!