Menu

Writing program for bright but reluctant fifth grader?

happypamama

Would Writing With Ease be good for my 10yo DD next year? She'll be in fifth grade, and I'd rate her language skills as excellent but reluctant; she doesn't really like writing but is creative and could use a gentle push toward helping her get her thoughts on paper. We haven't really done a lot of formal composition, but I don't think she's at absolutely square one either. What level of WWE would be good for her?

My daughter is doing WWE 3 this year and she is 9 almost 10. We started this year with WWE2, but we quickly realized that it was too easy for her, and started the next level. Maybe you could start her at level three, and if it a little easy for her, you could take it double pace, and she would get lots of practice. My daughter is pretty smart, but is reluctant on writing as well and it seemed a good fit.

Our reluctant-writer older DS and struggling-writer younger DS both really enjoyed the very gentle Wordsmith Apprentice program, one using in 5th grade, the other in 6th grade.

Wordsmith is designed for grades 4-6. It is written to the student, and requires only a little parental oversight. You could use it as a stand-alone program, or if you want more formal writing instruction, it makes a wonderful supplement to go to as a "break" from a "spine" writing program.

Wordsmith Apprentice has a "cub reporter" theme, silly cartoons to introduce the student to each new department of the newspaper that the student writes for, and exercises in all 4 types of writing (descriptive, narrative, expository, persuasive), that slowly build the student up to a few longer writing assignments at the end of the program. It is great, because the exercises are really quite creative and do not feel like "laborious, dull exercises" -- they all have to do with writing for different departments of the newspaper.

We went at an *extremely* gentle pace, and completed the program in a little under a year. See the scope and sequence and sample pages here.

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.