Menu

to work or not to work???

This really is the question... I work part time, ds13 is with me. I don't make tons of money but it does help. I spent all weekend working on a buget - without my contribution and we can live on what dh brings home. It will be tight.

Four years ago I went back to work after being home ten years in order to payoff a few bills. Instead of doing so, we managed to accrue a few more. Since then dh has received raises.

Just saying this balances us back to where we were afew years ago...maybe a little better.

Also this weekend we were able to focus on just school (business trip - hung out in hotel both days - focused on school) I was able to explain three math concepts & he got them without the frustration of being interupted, etc.

After looking at what I could be doing with ds13 and what we are actually accomplishing I'm thinking I should leave the partime job, stay home to ready him for high school. I'm not sure if high school is more than a mere thought...I just know that he is miserable trying to study in the midst of chaos.

This is not a new wave of thinking for me. Dh says go for it...I'm worried about financial burden...

Any thoughts/suggestions?

After looking at what I could be doing with ds13 and what we are actually accomplishing I'm thinking I should leave the partime job, stay home to ready him for high school. I'm not sure if high school is more than a mere thought...I just know that he is miserable trying to study in the midst of chaos.

:grouphug: I think you have your answer.

I think it depends on many things. Would leaving a career make it difficult to get back into employment later? Do you have sufficient retirement funds? Jobs can mean different things to different people. Meaning, money can be to buy extras, is for personal fulfillment, or may be filling a real financial need either now or in the future. Personally, I would look long term. I am deathly afraid of being old and poor. I am forever grateful as an adult that my parents pushed through jobs and life circumstances that were difficult at times because they are now financially stable retirees. Even if you decide to take a break right now, you may want to continue to keep your skills current. Then in a couple years after feeling like life is less chaotic you can jump back into the workforce if need be. Sorry my answer is a bit on the worrying side. I guess it is all of the financial instability of our economy that makes me think like that. We are dealing with a similar scenario right now and I know how difficult the decision is.

Oldskool has made some really good points.

Besides the current and future financial aspects, you need to figure out what else you are getting from work and if you're willing to give that up.

If you decide to continue working, it may be possible to shift 'how' you homeschool. Brainstorming here, but you could think of:

* explaining new concepts at home and letting ds do independant work (writing assignments, reading, etc) in a quiet area at work.

* homeschooling at home in the afternoons (I'm assuming you work mornings) and if you do that you could possibly shift ds's schedule so that he can sleep late while you're at work assuming also that its safe at home and he's mature enough to stay alone).

This is not a new wave of thinking for me. Dh says go for it...I'm worried about financial burden...

It sounds like everyone in your family is supportive of you leaving your job. You said that you think you can do it financially, but it will be tight. Since you have their support, it sounds like it will be easy to enlist their support to keep you home.

Additionally, if you have more time at home, perhaps you'll be able to save a few more dollars by cooking more efficiently, making more meals from scratch, etc. Maybe you'll find a friend who needs child care during school breaks, or you have a talent that you can turn into teaching a homeschool class for money, or you can tutor occasionally, or look for a retail type job at Christmas.

If you don't quit your job, you might look back five years from now and wish you had.

If you do quit your job, you will not look back five years from now and wish you'd continued working!

You only have a few more years before you're an empty nester- I'm thinking that you probably won't look back and wish you'd worked more during these teen years. It might be just two years or so that ds will still need you like he does today.

Financial considerations are nothing to ignore, but it sounds as if you have support. And if you later find that you do need to work, perhaps you can be more creative and work during summers or find a job working fewer hours during the school year.

Best of luck to you!

I just know that he is miserable trying to study in the midst of chaos.

If you know you want to homeschool a while longer and this is how ds feels, then I would quit the part time job.

You also have your husband's support which will help on those days when you have to say no to something because things are tight. Most likely you will find ways to make your budget work, at least that's been my experience.

They grow up so, so quickly and before you can blink, poof, they are gone. Seize the opportunity to be with your son these last few years. IT's worth it! He will benefit from it too since you will provide him not only great schooling but you will cement that bond that needs to be there when he hits the blasted later teen years. You can always go back to work later, right?

We are setting my leave goal date to April. Going to bank my next few months of pay. Will be ready for the end of the year and start fresh in the summer.

A good friend of mine recently quit her part time job that she's held for 4+ years. She's been thrilled at the amount of time she's had to further devote to hsing her 14yods, and he's enjoying it too. I wish I could quit my job; I'd do it if we could afford to. You won't regret this!

:party:

We are setting my leave goal date to April. Going to bank my next few months of pay. Will be ready for the end of the year and start fresh in the summer.

Thanks to all for being the wonderful sound board I knew you would be.

Another consideration is college costs. If you're ds is distracted now, how about through 4 years of high school? Would that have an affect on his test scores and grades? Obviously that is a big unknown, but better test scores could translate into more merit aid and scholarships. It could mean the difference between attending college of choice or choosing based upon price.

This may not apply to you, but I considered it when thinking about getting a job.

I do not see why homeschooling and working part time should be mutually exclusive and why this would involve dragging the kid along into chaos and not having uninterrupted time.

I for one would not do well if I did not have my job - not because of the money, but because of the satisfaction I derive from my work.

My kids are 12 and 14 and work independently for part of the time; I go over concepts and explanations and difficult things when I am not working. They come to work on the one day when I am gone all day. On other days they work part of the day at home. A high schooler can do a large part of the work independently, especially since the parent usually is not qualified to be an actual teacher and acts more as a facilitator.

So maybe you can restructure your family's schedule so that your son does not feel he has to school in chaos - I work 30 hours per week, and none of my kids finds our situation chaotic or difficult.

I do not see why homeschooling and working part time should be mutually exclusive and why this would involve dragging the kid along into chaos and not having uninterrupted time.

I for one would not do well if I did not have my job - not because of the money, but because of the satisfaction I derive from my work.

Why do you assume this automatically? It is entirely possible to regret having to stayed home and to wish one had continued to work. Ask me how I know.

:iagree:

If you're working only to pay off bills and get no satisfaction from it, then the assumption that you'll regret working may be true. But many of us could get by without the extra income and still choose to work for many other reasons.

I work 25 hours per week in a management position. The job stretches me and is very fulfilling.

We're in Africa and I employ a cleaner and gardener a few days a week and we have a wonderful au pair. About 35% of my after tax salary goes to these services. They make it possible for me to work outside of the home and in turn offer employment to others. With close on 40% unemployment here and very limited social services available there would be 10 more people (our employees and their families) struggling without the income they receive from me.

Edited by Hannah