Menu

tell me why you like/dislike writing strands

kfeusse

I am considering this program for my daughter (age 11) and my son (age 10)...we have had really no writing experience...and they struggle to come up with words to put on paper.

My daughter can write beautifully if some one explains something to her and then she rewrites it. But to actually come up with words on her own, not a chance. So I am hoping to find something that will help her. My friend recommended WS 2, even though it will be easy for her, maybe it would help build some confidence.

And my son..I will just start with number 2 also.

But I was wondering what you guys all think about the program. How teacher intensive is it?? I struggle getting done what we have now, but writing is very important and I want them to do well...so I am willing to try something that is not super teacher intensive. Oh, do I need the teacher's manual??

It's not teacher intensive for all for us - my DD started with WS 3 in 3rd grade, and she can pretty much do it on her own. I like that it is independent. I like that it gives them all the steps - I mean *all* the steps, really broken down - to do the assignment. What I dislike is how it's organized; for us it is *too* broken down. Meaning, he might give you 4-7 days to do an assignment which IMO should not take more than 2 days, or 3 tops if you are insisting on a perfect final draft. I usually break the assignments in half and have her do them over two days.

I haven't seen WS 2, but my understanding was that it was more of a pre-writing book, and that WS3 was where you would start for independent writing instruction.

FWIW, we use this as a supplement to WWE, which I consider our main writing program. But it is a good complement, and allows more creative writing, which dd enjoys.

I am considering this program for my daughter (age 11) and my son (age 10)...we have had really no writing experience...and they struggle to come up with words to put on paper.

My daughter can write beautifully if some one explains something to her and then she rewrites it. But to actually come up with words on her own, not a chance. So I am hoping to find something that will help her. My friend recommended WS 2, even though it will be easy for her, maybe it would help build some confidence.

And my son..I will just start with number 2 also.

But I was wondering what you guys all think about the program. How teacher intensive is it?? I struggle getting done what we have now, but writing is very important and I want them to do well...so I am willing to try something that is not super teacher intensive. Oh, do I need the teacher's manual??

Writing Strands is my favorite. If I were homeschooling again, I'd do whatever it took to use all levels.

Level 2 is parent-directed. Level 3 and up, not so much (although parental oversight is necessary).