Menu

For anyone in the Portland area....

Ain't it the truth? Here in our neck of the woods, an inch of snow causes the media to become like a circus!! You'd think we were going to be hit by a major blizzard by many of the news reports. Sheesh!!

My parents were born and raised in S. Dakota and always thought Oregonians go crazy when it comes to snow. My dad would often say the same line as mentioned in another post here, the one about people not knowing how to drive in the snow actually being more dangerous than the inclement weather. LOL!

Even so, I love it when it snows - especially snuggled up in my warm house, looking out the window. :)

Blessings,

Lucinda

Ain't it the truth? Here in our neck of the woods, an inch of snow causes the media to become like a circus!! You'd think we were going to be hit by a major blizzard by many of the news reports. Sheesh!!

My parents were born and raised in S. Dakota and always thought Oregonians go crazy when it comes to snow. My dad would often say the same line as mentioned in another post here, the one about people not knowing how to drive in the snow actually being more dangerous than the inclement weather. LOL!

Even so, I love it when it snows - especially snuggled up in my warm house, looking out the window. :)

Blessings,

Lucinda

True....BUT when it snows in Oregon (in the valley anyway) it doesn't stay SNOW--it's slush which then freezes. Now, I grew up in New England where there was snow on the ground for months at a time--very easy to drive in. Icy, slushy mess that we get here? Not so much.

True....BUT when it snows in Oregon (in the valley anyway) it doesn't stay SNOW--it's slush which then freezes. Now, I grew up in New England where there was snow on the ground for months at a time--very easy to drive in. Icy, slushy mess that we get here? Not so much.

:iagree: And they have next to no plows! If you are on a side street you could have that 3 inches of ice for weeks! UGH! Plus many of us live(d) on crazy hills with twisty roads that are not any fun trying to get up or down.

Is that pic on the Terwilliger curves? Couldn't tell...

I remember in the early '90s when it snowed so much around Newberg that we had to park our car at the bottom of our road because a) who has front wheel drive there, much less 4 wheel drive and b) who owns a shovel to actually shovel the drive?! That was a fun few weeks...seemed like it went on forever because no one could stop talking about it. Everything shut down..you'd have thought it was Armageddon :). I moved there from Colorado so I just sat back and enjoyed the show.

Now we live in central Oregon and well, all we do is snow (since we are all skiers, it works for us).

Is that pic on the Terwilliger curves? Couldn't tell...

I remember in the early '90s when it snowed so much around Newberg that we had to park our car at the bottom of our road because a) who has front wheel drive there, much less 4 wheel drive and b) who owns a shovel to actually shovel the drive?! That was a fun few weeks...seemed like it went on forever because no one could stop talking about it. Everything shut down..you'd have thought it was Armageddon :). I moved there from Colorado so I just sat back and enjoyed the show.

Now we live in central Oregon and well, all we do is snow (since we are all skiers, it works for us).

I remember that! I am from Newberg, well technically Newberg. We lived on a really steep hill and several nights after my mom worked we had to walk a mile all the way to the top because our car couldn't make it up.

Lol!! :lol:

So true... I learned how to drive in Portland and lived there for 11 years before moving to Colorado (where I live now). I was totally one of those "OMG, it's snowing!!" drivers. I've since been reeducated. ;)

I have more snow and ice in my driveway from October-April than I ever encountered on a Portland street...

I had never seen cars pull over during rain before!

You must have never been in an area that gets monsoons... :)

The highway sign reminded me of Seattle. I lived there for several years and people freaked when it snowed any more than a dusting. lol

No, in Boulder. In fairness the rain dumped there very fast and furious coming down over the rockies. It got lighter as you moved towards Denver. The rains in the summer could be crazy.

I was watching the news, and with this "severe weather" They will be with us nice and early tomorrow. 4am:smilielol5::blink: I for one will be sleeping at 4am.

..and did you hear? Batten the hatches, we are getting wind tomorrow too :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

My dh is from cornwall where they got gale force winds on a regular basis. He does admit that we have a few more trees though...

I love Oregon! I am so glad there are so many of us here.

Ever watch Portlandia?

Nicole

Edited by Northwest_Mama
added link

Hey - I'm not far at all from Newberg! Right now I'm listening to the rain on the roof coming down in buckets. This is evidently supposed to turn into a severe snow storm during the night. Now if the temperature drops down to freezing, we'll wake up to an ice rink for sure, but who knows?

Years ago I lived closer to the Columbia Gorge and my neighborhood was on a hill. It was so icy in the winter that I had to wear my golf shoes to go to the mailbox. After slipping on the ice twice in the driveway, I finally learned my lesson.

Despite what I mentioned previously, I'd actually trade a snowy winter in the Dakotas for our Oregon winter slush, wind and ice! We are pansies when it comes to snow, but it takes a whole lot of grit to brave it through a silver thaw.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Another Oregonian here:001_smile:. I always tell the kids get out there and enjoy the snow quick before it melts. It just does not stay around long at 500 ft. Funny thing is it seems like it rarely ever snowed when I was a kid. The last 10 years we have gotten more snow then I ever remember getting growing up. We seem to get snow a couple of times a year now.

I remember that! I am from Newberg, well technically Newberg. We lived on a really steep hill and several nights after my mom worked we had to walk a mile all the way to the top because our car couldn't make it up.

You didn't by chance live in Dundee, did you??? :001_smile: