Menu

Hake grammar...what's your system?

Alison in KY

We used Hake 5 last year and are using Hake 6 this year. I allow my son to write in the books. I spend a little time reviewing the lesson and going over the examples with him before he goes off and does the problems on his own. I also highlight the most important part of the lesson as we're going over it so we can quickly review as needed. I'm very happy with this program.

Lisa

We just started too - 6th and 8th - so I don't really have a system so to speak. I let dd12 start with Test 1 to see if we needed to cover any of the first few lessons. She aced it so I let her move onto the next test. She got quiet a few wrong on that test so we will start with the first lesson that test covers. Dd13 has done Test 1 and 2 and aced them so she will take Test 3 tomorrow. She will probably need to start somewhere in the lessons that are covered at the end of Test 3.

My dc are writing in the books and as of right now the plan is for them to do a lesson a day independently unless they have questions or trouble and then they can come to me for further explanation. Dd12 will bring her work to me for grading and discussion of incorrect work, dd14 will grade and correct her own. (she rarely gets any wrong and when she does it's usually just careless mistakes).

So, that's my plan. Maybe this bump will get you some other responses.

What is the procedure for dictation or journaling? The TM wasn't clear on that, and i'm curious what others do. We're in week 2.

I did some of the dictation last year. I would have my son copy the dictation passage out of the book on Monday and then study it for the week. Then, on Friday, I would dictate it to him. I liked this and thought it was helpful, but I stopped doing it because I was already trying to cram too much into the day. I haven't ever had him do the journaling. Creative writing is not his thing.

Lisa