Menu

Using Telling God's Story?

mommy24angels

I was looking over the recent 'what do you use for Bible post' and would like some feedback from those using the "Telling God's Story" curriculum to teach Bible. How is it going? How do you implement each lesson during the week? Do you still read from the Bible each day in addition to teaching the lesson? Thanks!

I'm ashamed to say TGS has fallen by the wayside here but I do plan to pick it up again as the kids did get a lot out it. We just had some issues with other subjects to resolve. So.....

The lessons are easy to implement with plenty of options: colouring pages/maps, games/quizzes, craft, science etc. There is a list of materials at the start of the activity book. You could do it all or you could just read the lesson. It's very flexible that way. While the activities are fun and reinforce some the lesson, you won't miss the point of the lesson if you choose not to do all the activities. I think that's why we stopped it (and SOTW). I was burning out on activities that the kids didn't even care for. It turns out we are a "read and discuss family" so....

Sorry for the ramble, HTH somehow.:001_smile:

We are using it and enjoy the main text. The AG is absolutely wonderful, but I just don't have time to get to all the activities, and the girls are tired of coloring pages with people in them. :001_huh: I guess they like to color animals better? Anyhow, I plan to buy the second book only with the AG next year.

We do read the Bible daily along with the teacher's text, as there just isn't enough material for a whole week's worth. The material covered by Dr. Enns is superbly done, and our girls understand some things better after going through 24 weeks of it. The girls are upset I'm not getting the AG for next year, but there isn't enough time anymore for so many activities, along with SOTW activities and the PK/K time intensity needed to teach our youngest.

If you're interested, my blog below has some summaries of things we have done in the earlier weeks of TGS, just click on the category FAITH, and you will see them. :)

I was looking over the recent 'what do you use for Bible post' and would like some feedback from those using the "Telling God's Story" curriculum to teach Bible. How is it going? How do you implement each lesson during the week? Do you still read from the Bible each day in addition to teaching the lesson? Thanks!

Well, I like it.

I don't use the Activity Guide a whole lot here - we've done a few activities here and there, if they jumped out at me as something I thought the boys would enjoy. But I do really like the different memorizations (The books of the NT, for example) that it suggests, and we have used it enough that I am going to go ahead and buy the AG next year. We usually only do TGS stuff about 3 days a week (Usually 1 reading the lesson, 1 doing an activity/coloring a page, and 1 going over the memorization). We touch on what we learned throughout the week.

We are using it and enjoy the main text. The AG is absolutely wonderful, but I just don't have time to get to all the activities, and the girls are tired of coloring pages with people in them. :001_huh: I guess they like to color animals better? Anyhow, I plan to buy the second book only with the AG next year.

We do read the Bible daily along with the teacher's text, as there just isn't enough material for a whole week's worth. The material covered by Dr. Enns is superbly done, and our girls understand some things better after going through 24 weeks of it. The girls are upset I'm not getting the AG for next year, but there isn't enough time anymore for so many activities, along with SOTW activities and the PK/K time intensity needed to teach our youngest.

If you're interested, my blog below has some summaries of things we have done in the earlier weeks of TGS, just click on the category FAITH, and you will see them. :)

Thanks for the reply! I'll check out your blog :001_smile: We are doing SL Core B over here too. I've been adding in SOTW1 here and there also but I don't have the AG. One more ?......What part of the bible do you read for daily readings? Are you following the SL schedule in your Core? I'm trying to figure out how I could make this work for us when we start our next Core (if we stick w/SL). Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply! I'll check out your blog :001_smile: We are doing SL Core B over here too. I've been adding in SOTW1 here and there also but I don't have the AG. One more ?......What part of the bible do you read for daily readings? Are you following the SL schedule in your Core? I'm trying to figure out how I could make this work for us when we start our next Core (if we stick w/SL). Thanks again!

I've been following the SL schedule for Bible reading. I even substituted for a few months with Egermeier's Story Bible early on, but I have no idea why? We have been reading from the NLT version for the SL readings, and the girls are drinking it in, and it has surprised me!

Next year, I plan to read the Bible as scheduled in SL, along with whatever Bible book comes with Core C and doing the TGS reading 1 time a week. TGS won't line up with the SL readings, but I don't mind. I appreciate the way Dr. Enns presents the material to the children, and I want to continue.

Where's the memorization part? Just got the teacher's manual and AG today. Looked over lesson one. Did I miss something?

The memorization is in the AG and it does start a bit later. They work on the NT books of the Bible for a long time.

We just started using this. Overall I am pleased with the program. It is easy to use. I do not do all the activities, some just not something worth doing. I was disappointed in the memory work. I thought it would be scripture but it is just books of the Bible. I have been taking a verse from the weeks lesson and making it dd's verse to memorize and write.

The one think I do like is dd is finally getting to study Jesus. All the other Bible programs I used started out with Bible stories of Creation and Old Testament people. If Jesus was brought up it only dealt with the birth and death of him.

Our week looks like this:

Mon: introduce lesson with an activity or just a discussion, then she reads aloud the Bible verses from her Bible (she needs to find them too)

Tues: begin writing memory verse in script and reread the verses

Wed: she gives brief narration of the Bible verses(I write it down), works on memory verse, and we might do an activity.

Thurs; work on memorizing verse, color picture or draw one and review

Friday: Say memory verse, I write her narration she did on Wed. neatly under her memory verse she wrote in script, and work on any activity left that we want to use.

I've been so impressed with Telling God's Story. It's easy to work at least the reading in during an otherwise full week. The readings / lessons are very well done and my girls are retaining principles from them. It's amazing to see.

When I can, I incorporate activities from the AG. They are wonderful activities, but since we're also doing Story of the World History with the AG, I find that I can only do so many activities in a week.

I'd highly recommend it.

We just started using this. Overall I am pleased with the program. It is easy to use. I do not do all the activities, some just not something worth doing. I was disappointed in the memory work. I thought it would be scripture but it is just books of the Bible. I have been taking a verse from the weeks lesson and making it dd's verse to memorize and write.

The one think I do like is dd is finally getting to study Jesus. All the other Bible programs I used started out with Bible stories of Creation and Old Testament people. If Jesus was brought up it only dealt with the birth and death of him.

Mon: introduce lesson with an activity or just a discussion, then she reads aloud the Bible verses from her Bible (she needs to find them too)

Wed: she gives brief narration of the Bible verses(I write it down), works on memory verse, and we might do an activity.

Friday: Say memory verse, I write her narration she did on Wed. neatly under her memory verse she wrote in script, and work on any activity left that we want to use.

Thanks for the description of how you schedule out the work during the week!:001_smile:

DownTheRabbitHole, thanks for your comments on how you use the Telling God's Story program! I just wanted to chime in, as the editor of the Year Two Activity Guide, to let you know that the Year 2 memorization does use actual Scripture passages (Psalm 23, Luke 1:46-50, and the Lord's Prayer, etc).

Justin