Menu

Algebra I Review Suggestions?

So, my son has been kind of taking a detour, math-wise, for the last couple of years. He had finished Algebra I and Geometry before typical high school age and was ready for a break. He took the "Liberal Arts Math" from FLVS last year, and this year he's doing AoPS Intro to Counting and Probabilty along with a home-made crytology study. I had assumed he'd stay on the light math path, because he's been saying he was headed for a theatre-type degree.

However, just the last week or so, he's been saying he might want to consider some kind of engineering degree. This isn't a big surprise, as that was what I assumed when he was younger would be his goal. But he's been on a whole other track recently.

I'd like him to get a solid review of Algebra I before he jumps back into the traditional sequence. I had thought he'd do a lighter review over the summer, but now we're considering having him start Algebra II this summer, instead, meaning that I need to figure out the review thing now.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas? I can't afford to spend money now, really not at all. So, this will have to be online or something readily available from PaperbackSwap or BookMooch or the library.

Thanks!

So, my son has been kind of taking a detour, math-wise, for the last couple of years. He had finished Algebra I and Geometry before typical high school age and was ready for a break. He took the "Liberal Arts Math" from FLVS last year, and this year he's doing AoPS Intro to Counting and Probabilty along with a home-made crytology study. I had assumed he'd stay on the light math path, because he's been saying he was headed for a theatre-type degree.

However, just the last week or so, he's been saying he might want to consider some kind of engineering degree. This isn't a big surprise, as that was what I assumed when he was younger would be his goal. But he's been on a whole other track recently.

I'd like him to get a solid review of Algebra I before he jumps back into the traditional sequence. I had thought he'd do a lighter review over the summer, but now we're considering having him start Algebra II this summer, instead, meaning that I need to figure out the review thing now.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas? I can't afford to spend money now, really not at all. So, this will have to be online or something readily available from PaperbackSwap or BookMooch or the library.

Thanks!

Khan Academy is free, and you could specify which badges or activities you want him to cover. Aleks is not free, but you can generally find a code for a free trial for a month. Maybe he could spend a month reviewing Algebra I?

If it's just some practice problems, Interact software is what is used by Pearson in their MyMathLabs.

Your son could just work through some of the chapter problems.

In the Woodbury Elementary & Intermediate Algebra text, Ch 1-7 is an okay Algebra I sequence.

The price is right for now with the software :) Drawback is that nothing is saved, so he'd need to be motivated.

You might look at Larson's Elementary & Intermediate Algebra: A Combined Course; you can get a new copy of the 3rd ed. for about $5. There's a large overlap between Alg I & II — I compared the Combined Course volume with Larson's separate Alg I & II books, and it was something like chapters 1-10 matched Alg I and chapters 4-13 matched Alg II. The primary difference was that the first 3-4 chapters in the Combined Course cover the first 6-7 chapters of Alg I in a condensed way, so it would provide a good solid review of Alg I and then move into Alg II.

You can also get Dana Mosely DVDs for this book (the inexpensive ones from HM, not Chalkdust). If you're interested in those, let me know and I'll look for the ISBN for you.

Jackie