Menu

Which science next?

If we follow the BJU/DIVE progression, the next science after ICP is biology. I wonder, though, if it would be better to go ahead and move into chemistry directly, while the chemistry information learned in ICP is still somewhat fresh. What do you think? FWIW, the student will have just completed Algebra I.

If we follow the BJU/DIVE progression, the next science after ICP is biology. I wonder, though, if it would be better to go ahead and move into chemistry directly, while the chemistry information learned in ICP is still somewhat fresh. What do you think? FWIW, the student will have just completed Algebra I.

I don't know anything about BJU, but I like my kids taking chemistry prior to biology. As a matter of fact, this yr ds is taking AP chem after chem last yr. He isn't planning on taking bio until 12th b/c it is not something he is really interested in and wants to take cal based physics in 11th instead.

DIVE ICP covered the chemistry needed for Biology perfectly! It was a good step. If your child is advanced in math and prefers to do Chemistry next though, there is no reason not to. Mine wasn't ready for the math of Chemistry yet.

eta I just saw that your student will have just completed algebra. I believe that is the minimum for most Chem classes, so it is up to you.

Algebra II is the pre- or co-requisite for DIVE Chemistry. We did bio last year and are doing chem this year. The early part of the bio program contains all the chemistry you will need, so no matter what order you do, it will work out. Bio is quite a bit easier. My girls wanted to do bio and get it out of the way. :001_smile: