Menu

s/o nicknames - Funny stories about nicknames

The nickname thread reminded me of a couple of funny stories. Years ago I worked with a woman whose mother's name was Lila. One day a letter came in the mail addressed to Mrs. D. (Lastname). Friend was in high school at this time and went to mom confused because mom's name starts with an L. Turns out mom's name was really Delilah and (like the example in the other thread) she didn't want to be associated with Samson's girlfriend.

The other story is about assigning kids nicknames because 2 or more have the same name. Ds was on a soccer team with 2 boys named Nicholas. Both went by Nick. So one of the Nicks decided to make things less confusing. He adopted the name Onion. I actually didn't know his name was Nick until I met his mom. She introduced herself and said she was Nick's mom. I must have looked confused because she rolled her eyes and said with a laugh, "Onion's mom!"

Anyone else with a funny nickname story?

My grandfather didn't like nicknames. My father has a given name but ended up going by a completely different nickname. He did tell his friends from school to ask for him by his given name when calling for him.

A friend called and asked for my father by his given name. My grandfather said, "there's no one here by that name," and hung up.

My grandmother had to remind him that was his son. :D

I think after that his friends were able to ask for him by his nickname.

My mom loved my name. She insisted that she would never call me Kay. Not ever. She made the mistake of telling her mom who called me nothing but. And, she started calling me Kay within a few weeks. A few people still do use it.

My youngest had a nickname when he was little that sounded really kinda stupid on it's own. People at my oldest's preschool always looked at me weird. They thought I had named my son, "Soy-Soy". :tongue_smilie:

My dad has the same name as his dad and grandfather (my dad is the third). His dad went by Junior his whole life. When my dad went to kindergarten he thought his name was Slugger. That is what they always called him. They had to adapt so that he would answer to his name in school. ;)

Not so much about a nickname BUT when my dd4 went to preschool last year when I was at work they just could not wrap their heads around the fact her name is Isabelle and NOT Isabella. However they continued to called her Isabella, write it on artwork etc. It got so bad that dd would argue with me about her name if I called her isabelle and was insistant that I was calling her by the wrong name. It was funny but not kwim. So the next day I go to the teachers and remind them again of her actual name and fact she now thinks I don't know her name. ! of the staff got all incredulous and says "But her name IS Isabella" Umm nope, pretty sure I know what I named my own daughter thanks.

My nephew has the shortest name possible, Ty, we all call him Ty-Ty because it is cuter. Anyway on his first day of preschool this year when the teacher asked him his name he proudly announced "Ty-Ty" It took weeks for him to understand that was a nickname and not his actual name.

With our firstborn, Will, I really didn't want a nickname (mainly, Willy) and his name isn't William so that was out. But people would always ask, "Is his name William?" or they'd try to call him "Willy." With both, I would reply cheerfully, "Nope, it's just Will." A gal at church started calling him "Justwill." :D

My dh went by his middle name in high school and college, but I first met him when we had a class together in high school, and that teacher refused to use his middle name and only called dh by his first name.

So, I always called him by his first name, though he introduced himself to other people by his middle name.

One day in college (we started dating in high school), a friend borrowed my notebook to copy class notes. I'd doodled "I love (dh's first name)" all over one page. This friend only knew dh by the middle name and was horrified about it and accused me of cheating on my boyfriend/now dh. That was fun to explain ;)

as far as nicknames go, my grandfather's first name IS a nickname, and he's a Jr. so that nickname version of a real name has been passed down through the family. (think Willy instead of Will or William) It gets lengthened/adjusted to the real name version often.

Oh, and my dad goes by his nickname and always has. I was in junior high or high school before I realized that his "name" was a nickname for his real name. (think Dick for Richard, for example, or Jack for John, that kind of thing).

My great-grandfather, grandfather, father, and brother all have the same (very unusual) first name.

When I first met my paternal grandfather, at the age of 8, he and his wife called my father by his childhood nickname...which is Butch. If you knew my father this would be hysterical. His other neighborhood nickname was 'the Professor.' They couldn't call him by his middle name because its too similar his brother's name (Joseph and Jolie).

My grandfather's wife, in her flat mid-Illinois accent calling him Butch over and over and over again. I tried hard not to get the giggles.

When my grandfather was born they didn't know what to name him. He's the 5th child or so in his family. Four other boys in front of him and his father swore he would never saddle a child with his strange name. So they're sitting in the hospital trying to come up with a name for him and my great-grandmother gets the bright idea that they'll name him after the next person to enter the room (probably one of the doctors). Yep, it was my great-grandfather.

Part of me wonders if she secretly wanted to pass the name on. She had to be fairly attached, he was a hard old guy even when he wasn't being crossed.

I was 13. Years old before i found out my uncle's name wasn't Melvin, even though we called him Mel. His given name is Robert. How did they get Mel out of Robert, well my dad got mad at him at one point (my dad is older) and started calling him Melon Head, which was shortened to Mel. My dad apparently kept it up long enough because even my grandparents called him Mel, to this day he introduces himself to people as Mel.

• 10 months later...
Guest Jamesjon

MY]y Nickname in High School is Fruit Loop, or to some just Fruit. it is a tradition of the trombone section to pick nicknames for its members and this is how i got mine. on the first day of band camp as a freshman, i was real excited. as a result, i had a lot of energy. while the rest of my classmates were being shy and reserved, i was hopping around everywhere, talking to everyone, and they thought that i was gay. So they nicknames me Fruit Loop. they have since offered to change it when they found out i wasn't gay, but i decided to stick with it cause I am always happy lol.

About 10 years ago I taught middle school in a pretty poor farming town. One of my 7th graders came to me with an application to a prestigious summer program in another town and asked for a recommendation. I looked at the form she had filled out and it asked for name and nickname. Under nickname she had carefully written "Bubble Butt". Despite informing her they wanted to know that she went by "Sammy" not "Samantha", she insisted that all her friends knew her as "Bubble Butt" and that was fine by her. I was not able to convince her to change it... I don't think she was accepted.

My youngest son's name is Ty also, short for Mathias. He is 2 now and if you ask him what his name is he will tell you "Ty-boy" Everyone calls him that. I'm not sure when it started. If you ask him what his big name is he will tell you "Thias Daniel A***" He leaves the Ma of every time.

My daughter Evie was called Easy Peasy as a baby. My niece couldn't say Evie, she had a speech impediment and called her Easy. The peasy just followed suit. My son like to call her Easy Peasy Eat-a-lot after a "Between the Lions" skit.

The family calls my nephew Cabub. His name is Caleb, but my daughter, who is only a week older than him started calling him Cabub around 18 months old because she couldn't say Caleb and it stuck.