Menu

OK, I have a weird logistical question about baggers helping you to your car...

As I mentioned in the thread, this is not done around here at all, so I have no experience with it. I'm wondering, if the person who bags your groceries also helps you take them to car, who is bagging the groceries for the next few people in line? Is there just a supply of baggers waiting to jump to the end of each register belt when one has to leave? Or do the next few people in line have to bag their own groceries while the bagger goes out to the car?

I'm so truly mystified about how this works. It's been bothering me all day! I just know I'll never sleep tonight unless I can figure it out :lol: Please help me avoid insomnia and fill in this piece of the puzzle for me!

In Lubbock there is a store where you cannot take the cart out by yourself. There are a TON of baggers there, but they claim that the money saved by not losing carts or having carts exposed to the elements as much makes up for the increase in staff. It was also one of the nicer stores.

Edited by MHowell
Auto correct fail.

I want to know why you have a bagger take things to your car. Is it because grocery carts aren't allowed to leave the store? I admit I'm also confused with this.

In our local grocery store the carts can't leave the store. But the majority of people shop without cars. As in on bike, foot, or with a wagon or some other human powered thing. If you do have a car you can pull your car up to a certain area and then the cart will be waiting for you. They then help you load the groceries into the car.

I usually just lock up my wagon next to the entrance to the store, and then when checking out pull up my wagon to the check out line and load up directly.

In my experience, the person scanning the groceries takes over the bagging, and by the time the bagging is done, there's a bagger coming back in who can help you to your car. Also, you have to take into account that a large percentage of people (at least here) decline the help out to the car. I only know of one grocery here that offers that service though, and it's just too expensive for me to shop there. :001_huh:

A combination of lots of baggers, customers who don't need help (I'm saving all my help for when I'm an old arthritic lady. Won't be long now), and register clerks who will start bagging while one is writing a check or using a debit machine.

It isn't unusual to see the store manager or the owner jump in and bag.

I don't know the answer to your question.

I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about it though. I go through the self-checkout whenever possible, because I can't STAND to have people put my stuff in bags. I have to resist the urge to rearrange everything instantly. I can't imagine how they'd then arrange those bags into my CAR. :svengo:

When I go to Walmart, I put my stuff in little piles on the belt and ask for them to be bagged according to my grouping. Annoying, probably, but at least they don't have to think about it.

So I have a few control issues . . .

In my experience, the person scanning the groceries takes over the bagging, and by the time the bagging is done, there's a bagger coming back in who can help you to your car. Also, you have to take into account that a large percentage of people (at least here) decline the help out to the car. I only know of one grocery here that offers that service though, and it's just too expensive for me to shop there. :001_huh:

:iagree: I generally only accept help taking things to the car if I have grumpy children with me or I did a large order that the bagger split into two carts.

A combination of lots of baggers, customers who don't need help (I'm saving all my help for when I'm an old arthritic lady. Won't be long now), and register clerks who will start bagging while one is writing a check or using a debit machine.

Yes, that's exactly it here. I also start bagging my own things when I have a lot and the store is very busy. Invariably, someone rushes over to relieve me. Truth be told, I kind of enjoy it. I'm getting quite fast at it. It's a matter of pride with me. :tongue_smilie:

Ditto. That's how it is here. There are maybe 14 lanes, and 4-5 baggers who rotate around as needed.

I'm also wondering why someone would need a bagger? My mom always had one help take things to the car when I was too little to help, and she had MS. But beyond that I've never needed help, personally. Just wondering.

:svengo: Where exactly do you people live?! Mayberry? I'm totally :confused: by this whole thing. In the store I shop at, the only time I ever see a manager is when she has to come over and hassle me about my stinkin' coupons! The cashiers themselves take turns bagging if the lines are slow. If they're busy, there's one bagger--a sweet, chatty mentally challenged girl. I love that they have that job for her--although now that I think about it, I haven't seen her in a long time. I hope they didn't let her go :(

I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about it though. I go through the self-checkout whenever possible, because I can't STAND to have people put my stuff in bags. I have to resist the urge to rearrange everything instantly. I can't imagine how they'd then arrange those bags into my CAR. :svengo:

When I go to Walmart, I put my stuff in little piles on the belt and ask for them to be bagged according to my grouping. Annoying, probably, but at least they don't have to think about it.

I group my groceries also. But I don't have to tell the baggers at the commissary or HEB to pack them properly. They've been well-trained. :D

I don't have the HEB baggers load my car. I just let them help me get a second cart out. At the commissary, they do everything. I'm paying. I always go to the commissary with a cleaned out car though. Again, they've been trained in loading. They will even give me the bread and eggs separately to put up front to avoid squashing.

I don't know the answer to your question.

:lol::lol::lol: Just a few :tongue_smilie: Though if any group of people would understand, it's this group!

:svengo: Where exactly do you people live?! Mayberry? I'm totally :confused: by this whole thing. In the store I shop at, the only time I ever see a manager is when she has to come over and hassle me about my stinkin' coupons! The cashiers themselves take turns bagging if the lines are slow. If they're busy, there's one bagger--a sweet, chatty mentally challenged girl. I love that they have that job for her--although now that I think about it, I haven't seen her in a long time. I hope they didn't let her go :(

We live in a smallish town (@30,000 people, next to a slightly larger town). Our store is well-managed, very well-managed. I told DH right when we moved here how impressed I am with our HEB. If you ask someone where something is, they will take you there. Every single time. If you forgot something at check-out, they're happy have a bagger go grab one for you. They always ask me if the kids can have Buddy Bucks (they have a machine for kids to put HEB $ in and get points out). They always ask if they can help me to my car. Friendly, friendly, friendly. :)

Lol! This has been one of the big culture shock thing about moving to TX from NY. It really threw me the first few times I shopped in our grocery store. Not only do they take my groceries out but I don't have to unload my cart onto the belt. I was VERY uncomfortable at first, but now I love it!

And to answer the OP's question - the cashier will usually do most of the bagging and a kid will usually be available to go to the car by the time she's done. If the store is not busy, they will both bag. I have also learned that it is fruitless to resist! They politely insist and really, I don't see why I wouldn't accept help. :D

Most of our area grocery stores don not have this service, but in our teensy little town (1,500 people), there is a Mom and Pop grocery that will do it. I'm 9 months pregnant, so lately most of the time if I have more than a couple bags, the cashier calls on the overhead and a teen boy materializes out of nowhere to help. I think the cashier will often just make a judgement call about who may need help and then ask if you need it or you can probably request help too. The kids that help are so sweet! They always have big smiles on their faces, you can tell they enjoy the surprise and appreciation they receive when helping out.

Ditto. That's how it is here. There are maybe 14 lanes, and 4-5 baggers who rotate around as needed.

I'm also wondering why someone would need a bagger? My mom always had one help take things to the car when I was too little to help, and she had MS. But beyond that I've never needed help, personally. Just wondering.

Small carts and big trips (after waiting until we're out of everything!) means sometimes they split the load into two carts. So before DS8 was big/strong enough to help, I would always need a hand in that case. Or when I get firewood. They will load that into a cart and have it ready for when I'm finished checking out. When the kids were smaller, it was not unheard of for me to be dealing with a tantrum or cranky child and needed help even with one cart. Plus, do I see that you have one dc? When you take three little people to the store and maybe each of them didn't get the _____ that they wanted more than life itself...well, you might need a hand with your groceries. :lol: Mine are each a year and a half apart and we had some wild times at the grocery store!

I have two different experiences with this.

First, when we were in TX, I shopped at the commissary where the baggers bag groceries, deliver them to your vehicle, and put them into your vehicle. This is heavenly, particularly in 100 degree heat while I rushed to get everyone buckled in their car seats and home before my groceries completely thawed. The commissary had a line of baggers ready at all times. They made their money 100% on tips.

Second, in my current small town (pop 1500) with a mom & pop grocery store they bag your groceries and deliver them to your vehicle. There are only 1 or 2 check outs at a time, and every male worker in the store is immediately available to bag and deliver groceries. So if one worker is delivering groceries, they call someone out of the meat area or whatever. I've only seen them need 3 people during the busiest times. They also call the little city bus for elderly people, and deliver groceries to shut-ins. This grocery store is all about service. I don't tip at this store.

I want to know why you have a bagger take things to your car. Is it because grocery carts aren't allowed to leave the store? I admit I'm also confused with this.

1. When I was often pushing 2 carts and didn't want to worry about a child or purse being stolen while I and oldest dc loaded the van.

2. When I had 2 babies in car seats.

3. The time period when my husband traveled all the time and I threw my back out.

4. Also on really beautiful days sometimes the baggers at our store will ask, "Please let me push your cart out, please" just because they want the chance to be outside and stroll through the parking lot. I've had baggers thank ME for letting them push my cart. :lol:

Around here it would be hard to impossible to pull your car up to the door to load. And no one tips the baggers. There are even signs saying baggers aren't allowed to accept tips. Managers often can be seen helping someone to their car.

I hate going through anything other than a self checkout. Every once in a while I will feel lazy about it (those completely empty lines are sooo tempting), and I will go through a line. Then I remember why I go through self checkout as some idiot bagger is shoving a watermelon in with the bananas. Many of those times I get to my car and rebag.

Our local Publix usually has several baggers and only a small number of people have them help them to their cars. I don't unless it is one of the baggers that has special needs. There is one young man who likes to see how many jokes he can get us to laugh at and I always let him take my groceries to the car (he keeps track and tries to break his record). He's very sweet and really seems to enjoy what he does. I think I would feel bad if I told him I didn't need help because I think he would take it personally.

I often have accepted help with taking the groceries out to my car. I'm glad that you don't need help. I have fibromyalgia.

We have three stores in our area. All three started out having baggers bag your groceries and taking them out to your car. One store has since dropped this practice (thankfully) but the other two, oh boy, don't leave the store with their cart. I have been chased out of the store more than once for pushing the cart out myself. I hate waiting for baggers to be available. It's annoying. I am more than capable to walk outside and put stuff in my car. But, noooo, not allowed. These two stores don't even have a place to put carts outside, so I guess I can see why they have the people pushing the carts out for you. Some people don't push carts inside but still...At least let me do it. I promise I'll bring the cart back.

The manager (or assistant manager) always seems to magically appear when I go into one store. He doesn't like that I bag my own groceries, put them in my cart, and then attempt to go outside. A bagger always seems to appear out of thin air when I go through the checkout now. :tongue_smilie:

As I mentioned in the thread, this is not done around here at all, so I have no experience with it. I'm wondering, if the person who bags your groceries also helps you take them to car, who is bagging the groceries for the next few people in line? Is there just a supply of baggers waiting to jump to the end of each register belt when one has to leave?

In the case of military commissaries, yes.

It speeds up the process. I'm writing my check or using the debit machine while the checker is checking and the bagger is bagging. By the time I'm done paying the groceries are already bagged and in the cart. It would slow down the line if I had to bag them myself and then pay.

As for why the bagger goes out to the car with you, the idea is that it is a convenience to have them helping you put the items in your car, again getting you on your way faster. It really IS a convenience for some, as they can be strapping their kids in the car seats while the bagger puts the groceries in the trunk.

That said, I rarely have them put them in the car for me, as i can do it fine myself and I don't want to feel obligated to tip.

I live in the southeast & the stores here offer this as a customer service. I can refuse it & take the cart out myself or I can accept the help and let the bagger take it for me. A couple of places accept tips, but the other stores have to refuse. Anyway. Where I live it is just part of their customer service. Walmart does not offer this service though & never has.

Susan

The Publix and Krogers in our area will help you out to your car. I never have trouble if I decline their help and generally I don't even have to push my cart to a cart corral because there is a bagger heading back in that will walk by my car and take my cart back inside.

Generally I don't have them help because my car is always full of cr@p and it's a balancing act to get all the groceries in the back of the van with the multiple strollers/bikes etc in there.

I will have them help me out if it is raining, cold, or kids are just being miserable so I can get them in the car quickly while the bagger loads everything in the back.

If they are busy managers are always jumping in to help and I will decline their offer of help if there are a lot of people in line behind me because I know it will make the line longer for them if the checker has to both check and bag. No one in our area bags their own groceries unless you are at Aldi's.

I worked at a Tom Thumb (owned by Safeway - I think the only difference is the name). We were *required* to ask *everyone* if they wanted help out. We were also not allowed to accept tips.

At the store I worked at, there were supposed to be at least two dedicated courtesy clerks (official term for baggers) who would go to whichever register needed a bagger, do carryouts, get carts from the lot, replace items and do price checks for customers at the register, and clean up messes in the store. Unfortunately, sometimes I ended up being the only one because they would put the courtesy clerks who could also check on registers when the lines got long.

If the baggers are all out of the store, the checkers also bag - and usually, if there *is* a bagger, both checker and bagger are bagging groceries at the end. Customers sometimes help as well, of course.

When the twins were infants I used the grocery help a lot. I couldn't figure out the logistics of loading the car, loading the twins, and returning the cart, all without leaving the twins alone in the car of having them in the Oregon rain for any longer than necessary. I don't really know what they do while the bagger is outside but I do know most people turn it down.

Our HEB is simply delightful and will load your groceries onto the conveyor belt, scan them, bag them PERFECTLY, load them up, take them out to your car, arrange them neatly in your trunk, and hand you the bag with bread and eggs so they aren't crushed in transit. They do it all with a big, genuine (looking) smile!

I live outside Portland, which is the largest city in our state. We see the manager helping out a lot.

I usually say no to help out to my car. There are a few stores that don't have places to put your carts, so you would have to walk them all the way back to the store, so I let them help when I have the kids.

But then....we also don't pump our own gas, or have sales tax, and are just well...weird! (and proud of it!) :lol:

:iagree: there are a few stores in my area that offer the service, but none that insist. They are the pricier stores, so if I go into one of them, I'm usually not buying much. But it is nice to have the option if you're juggling kids or whatever. I did have one place pretty much insist once when I was visibly pregnant :D. I've never tipped for it.

WTB here! :D Years ago, when I was but a wee slip of a thing, I had a job as a bagger in an urban supermarket in eastern Canada. In the staff room, there was an employee training binder that had instructions and diagrams about how to pack the grocery bags. I think I must have been the only person in the history of the store to have actually read it. I only worked there for a few months, but it was long enough to hone my craft. Of course, this just makes me even more ticked off when people do a careless job with my groceries.

Our store did carry-outs, which was pretty unusual for that area. And we got tips. If people lived within a block, we would sometimes take the groceries right to their door. I don't think we used shopping carts... maybe some sort of hand trucks? And in cold weather, we wore heavy jackets with the store logo. They had been worn by generations of teenage clerks, and appeared to have never ever been cleaned. Good times... ;)

In that store, they had a supply of baggers to fill in any gaps. Where I'm living now, in suburban California, the staff at most grocery stores don't seem so rigid about their roles. The cashiers often do their own bagging, and the managers will occasionally help out as well. Sometimes a cashier who isn't busy will come over to bag for another cashier.

The last time I was buying groceries, four different people asked if I'd like some help out: the bagger, the cashier (who didn't hear my conversation with the bagger), and two staff members I passed on the way to the door. It got to be a bit comical. This was an average chain supermarket, in a pleasant but not fancy neighborhood. I didn't have a big order, but it it was a weekday, the store wasn't busy, and I had a newborn and toddler with me. Besides, I think they like to keep an eye on their carts. :auto:

I have never in my life had any store employee offer to bring my groceries to the car. That seems so weird to me! And to hear that some stores insist? That would bother me a lot. It is nice they offer in some stores, but I wouldn't like it if they had a policy that you had to let them bring your stuff to the car. Our stores have baggers, but sometimes there aren't enough and you have to bag your own groceries.

We have two locally owned grocery stores that offer this service. One insists in really busy times (think week of a holiday) but this is because they have a limited number of carts and don't want them left outside when others will be needing them quickly. I usually decline but it is nice to have the option. Also, for both of these stores, I do not have to unload onto the belt either. They take things right out of the cart. Honestly, if I could afford it, I would never shop anywhere else but one of the stores is very high-priced although the quality of the items is just outstanding.

Someone always bags our groceries here....I thought every store did (except Aldi). They always ask if we need help to the car and I always say "why yes I do thank you"! I'm pregnant and usually have a 5yo and 2yo with me so loading groceries is dang near impossible. By the time he has them in the car I have the kids loaded and I'm outta there!

I'm usually always greeted by the store manager in at least one of the stores I go in...and they have bagged my groceries more than once. They have also offered to go back and get an item that I realized I had forgotten before!

I think bagging and bringing out are kind of like the full-service gas station.

I grew up with a cashier and bag boy tag teaming our shopping experience, but now it's only if you ask (or look visibly harrassed or needy).

Has anyone seen the King of The Hill episode with Peggy Hill bagging groceries? Pretty funny--pretty true. :D

I don't need a bagger, but it sure it nice. My groceries get bagged while I am peacefully managing my littles, and the groceries usually make it into my van before I have everyone buckled. Very, very nice. It's kinda like letting your life move in slower motion for a few minutes.

My experience at Walmart is infinitely different. We always have two carts. My the time we're done, my 1yo is screaming to get out of the cart. My 3yo and 5yo are getting stir crazy, and they touch everything in the check out aisle. My 7yo & 9yo empty the carts as quickly as they can while I try to load the grocery bags into another cart as quickly as I can. Then I have to take a few minutes out to pay...and one of my crew always seems to get underfoot somewhere. Then we are pushing a huge cart out into the elements, and I have to load everyone into the van before I can start unloading the cart. It's a mess and very stressful.

Having a bagger bag your groceries and deliver them to your car is heavenly.

In Lubbock there is a store where you cannot take the cart out by yourself. There are a TON of baggers there, but they claim that the money saved by not losing carts or having carts exposed to the elements as much makes up for the increase in staff. It was also one of the nicer stores.

I know Lubbock!!!

Yes, at United they are required to take your bags out and not accept tips. There are a whole bunch of them, they bag your groceries, take them out and the person behind them waits on the next customer.

When I was in highschool we had a friend visiting from NJ. She told the bagger not to bag her groceries, she'd do it herself. He tried to explain it was his job and she was adamant that he not do it and got a little mean. He calmly kept going but you should have seen the drama when he starts to take the cart out to our car! :lol: She's yelling she isn't going to tip him no matter how hard he tries, she's trying to take the cart away from him -poor kid I don't think he knew what hit him. I was trying to explain to her but I was so busy laughing I just about fell over.

Memories!

Our HEB is simply delightful and will load your groceries onto the conveyor belt, scan them, bag them PERFECTLY, load them up, take them out to your car, arrange them neatly in your trunk, and hand you the bag with bread and eggs so they aren't crushed in transit. They do it all with a big, genuine (looking) smile!

That's what it's like in Lubbock. It definitely breeds customer loyalty. Their prices aren't higher than any of the other stores and the customer service is great. My family has been shopping there since I was a baby, many, many moons ago.

One of the local grocery chains here did this. Every time I went there for a while, they really pushed the 'can someone help you to the car with your cart?' It was when my boys were littler, but I always thought 'Um, I didn't buy THAT much!' :D I always declined, because it seemed, I dunno, weird. That's just not done around here.

That chain doesn't even ask anymore when I go there. I guess it didn't go over too well.

I've never needed help taking things to the car at the grocery store. Its not something I really get for most people. If I was able to carry all of those items around the store in one cart why wouldn't I also be able to carry them to my car?

I do think its nice that people ask but I don't think many people actually need it. I've never seen anyone take them up on it around here.

Sometimes the baggers are busy (I don't think they have a lot) and my kids will do all the bagging. They love it.

I loved it in CO when we didn't have to unload our cart onto the belt - that was a nice feature.

It speeds up the process. I'm writing my check or using the debit machine while the checker is checking and the bagger is bagging. By the time I'm done paying the groceries are already bagged and in the cart. It would slow down the line if I had to bag them myself and then pay.

We don't have baggers here. I arrange all my groceries on the conveyor belt and put my credit card where I can find it easily (cheques are no longer accepted in big shops). The checker checks and I bag (and place back in the trolley). I'm usually only a few items behind her, so while she's working out how much credit to give me for bringing my own bags, I can bag the last few items. She gives me the receipt and I'm off.

The only time that this doesn't work is if there isn't room on the conveyor for all my stuff. In that case, the checker will do the bagging until I've put everything on the conveyor.

Laura