Menu

Protein Powder.. or something?

OK ladies. I need something. I like SlimFast type shakes. I like the ease, and the quickness. No muss, no fuss.

I have a mixer to make green smoothies and smoothies in general but I can't make them for breakfast as I eat before anyone is up. The noise of the mixer would wake the whole house.

So I like the ease of SlimFast but I don't actually want SlimFast. It doesn't stick with me very long. I don't want to eat an hour after I have a "shake".

So is there a good tasting protein powder or... something that I can use? The easier and faster it is for me to fix and eat the better I do with my diet. Weird but that's the way it works :)

You might want to seek out a health food store and buy some single serving packets of different brands/flavors of protein powders. They can be a bit pricey, so you want to like the flavor.

I've been having a scoop of this in the chocolate flavor:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00013YX4A/sr=1-2/qid=1326768563/ref=sr_pop_seeall?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1326768563&sr=1-2 blended with a frozen banana and a cup of almond milk. I want to limit my soy intake a bit, so next time I will look for a non-soy protein powder.

I also like plain greek yougurt, almond milk, and a cup of frozen berries (got a huge bag of organic, no sugar added berries from Costco).

There are many protein (whey) powders out there, but it sounds like you are looking for a meal replacement option rather than a protein powder. Most protein powders are used in a smoothie combo or as a stand alone supplement usually post-workout. I have not personally tried it but Shakeology comes to mind as a possibility though I think most people use a blender for it...there are a few beachbody coaches here that could give you more information on it. You could also try meal replacement bars rather than going for a powder option. There are so many out there and you can typically find them in the same area as the slim-fast shakes/weightloss area of your grocery store. Personally I would go with a clean approach and rather than doing a bar/powder think of having a crockpot oatmeal (you can use protein powder mixed in with this) ready in the a.m. or maybe keeping hard boiled eggs on hand along with some whole grain bread and a natural pb spread. Greek yogurt is also a great option. Try to get a bit of protein and carbs together so you're satisfied longer :-)

Just my amateur two cents! Hope it helps!

Jay Robb (rBST free) whey PP? I add it to almond milk usually. I sometimes mix some in the blender with ice, some starbucks via, and a little stevia for a blended iced coffee during warm weather. Really good with a tiny pinch (very small amount) of xanthan gum, which works like a thickener and keeps the ice in suspension better.

It isn't really a meal replacement but it is one of the best protein powders I've seen. Vitamin Shoppe and some WFs carry the single packets so you could always try before committing to a larger canister of it. I prefer the vanilla.

Ready-to-Drink "Pure Protein" shakes - they have no sugar and are whey-protein based (no soy). They come in bottles and cans, but they're expensive, so look for coupons if you can find them!

If you want organic - Orgain is good too, but it's higher in carbs, but if you don't mind that, they're really tasty.

The Slimfast drinks have a lot of sugar :glare:

I just tried the Atkins Advantage milk chocolate drink...low sugar, low carbs, filling, and it actually tasted good.

I'm also gonna try Shakeology...LG has a link in her siggie line and you can order from her. She recommended the chocolate over green berry ;)