Menu

Opinions on baby boy name:

My husband and I have had a time trying to come up with a name for our baby boy due in April. We both agree on the name Leif though (pronounced with a long "a"). My only hesitation is that it's a rather unique name (my husband couldn't care less what people think). We've agreed to keep his name a secret till he's born so I really don't know what people's reactions will be. LOL I'm not asking if it's a name that you would name your kid but rather your thoughts on the name if you met or heard of someone named Leif. What kind of person do you think of, etc.?

First I will say that you will get lots of people mispronouncing it. As long as you (and your future son) are okay with that, then it is a great name. I think most people will pronounce it Leaf.

I generally think of it as a Scandinavian name. I think of blonde or a fair haired guy. That's all.

All my kids would say is...ohhhhh like Leif Erickson... :) (don't know the most popular way to spell his last name, I know there are different ways...) Spelling.... I'd say most people will say "leaf" when looking at it, and when hearing it will spell it "Layfe" or something. I think it's a cool name:) It's for sure not an "ugly" name, like some unusual names. Do you have a last name that supports it? :)

I'll be honest and say I don't love it. I think it sounds like "laugh" is being mispronounced or something. I also don't think it sounds super manly, but then I have Leif Garrett in my head when I see the name, LOL. And don't get me wrong, I'm not too against unusual names. We have an Axel afterall.

My husband and I have had a time trying to come up with a name for our baby boy due in April. We both agree on the name Leif though (pronounced with a long "a"). My only hesitation is that it's a rather unique name (my husband couldn't care less what people think). We've agreed to keep his name a secret till he's born so I really don't know what people's reactions will be. LOL I'm not asking if it's a name that you would name your kid but rather your thoughts on the name if you met or heard of someone named Leif. What kind of person do you think of, etc.?

Well, I'm old enough to remember Leif Garrett, but then that would make me old enough to be your baby's grandma, so take that for what it's worth!

I think the biggest challenge with the name is that most people will mispronounce it, and you/he will have to spell it every.single.time when giving his name.

BUT I do that for my name, and so do a lot of other people. Oh yeah, and they mispronounce my name at least half the time too, but I since I answer to almost anything, I forget about that. :001_smile:

Well, I'm old enough to remember Leif Garrett, but then that would make me old enough to be your baby's grandma, so take that for what it's worth!

I think the biggest challenge with the name is that most people will mispronounce it, and you/he will have to spell it every.single.time when giving his name.

BUT I do that for my name, and so do a lot of other people. Oh yeah, and they mispronounce my name at least half the time too, but I since I answer to almost anything, I forget about that. :001_smile:

I have no idea who Leif Garrett is.:lol: I have to spell my girl's names all the time and our last name trips people up too.

We also chose names that are uncommon. We also chose not to tell people before the boys were born. For DS2, I got little scrapbook tags/labels and wrote his name (with pronunciation) before he was even born. While in the recovery room, before family came in, I wrote in his stats. I knew that no one would be able to remember his name/spelling/pronunciation, so I made these. If you both like it, then use the name!

I like it.

My husband is part Scandinavian, and we considered both Leif and Anders at one point for our son.

Never heard of the name Anders but I really like it! We are still trying to come up with a middle name. We've considered Jefferson but not totally sure. Leif Anders would be cool!

I would think, "his parents didn't know how to pronounce Leif." (Sorry, you asked.) Then I'd think, "maybe I've be pronouncing it wrong" ('cause it's not like I know any Leifs -- I think I've just read the name!). And then I'd think, "cool name."

It reminds me of the word "waif" pronounced the way you are saying it... but I think that would just be a passing thought.

Long A sound, like rhyming with waif? Or like Leaf, as in Leif Garrett (whom I remember, by the way, being OLD). I'd do Leif (leaf).

I'm sorry, but I don't like Leif rhyming with waif. I'm all for a little unique but I wouldn't set my son up for a lifetime of teasing and having to correct people over and over about his name.

I would think, "his parents didn't know how to pronounce Leif." (Sorry, you asked.) Then I'd think, "maybe I've be pronouncing it wrong" ('cause it's not like I know any Leifs -- I think I've just read the name!). And then I'd think, "cool name."

It reminds me of the word "waif" pronounced the way you are saying it... but I think that would just be a passing thought.

:lol::lol: Thanks! I grew up saying long "e" but I recently found out that it has three correct pronunciations long "a", long "e" and long "i".

truthfully, i don't love it. i agree with some of the other posters who said they would think it was pronounced Leaf, not laif. Also, something to think about, if you name this baby a L name, you will have 3 with L's and one w/o. I don't know if that matters to you or not. I'm wierd that way. I like them to either all have the same letter or not, not just one odd girl out :001_smile:

First I will say that you will get lots of people mispronouncing it. As long as you (and your future son) are okay with that, then it is a great name. I think most people will pronounce it Leaf.

I generally think of it as a Scandinavian name. I think of blonde or a fair haired guy. That's all.

:iagree:

truthfully, i don't love it. i agree with some of the other posters who said they would think it was pronounced Leaf, not laif. Also, something to think about, if you name this baby a L name, you will have 3 with L's and one w/o. I don't know if that matters to you or not. I'm wierd that way. I like them to either all have the same letter or not, not just one odd girl out :001_smile:

Yes, we thought about that having all "L" names but one. But we often call our oldest Laine anyways.

I'm beginning to wonder if the pronunciation is a regional thing? I grew up in the South and always heard it with the long "e". My husband grew up out West and always heard it with the long "a". My SIL spent several years in Denmark and says the long "i". (She's the only person that knows we are considering the name.)

I like it, but I wouldn't use it for my child's name. I tend to err on the side of making name pronunciation/spelling easier. After a few years it gets really tiring telling people how to spell/pronounce your name. And then there are the people who will insist on pronouncing it their way anyways. Blech.

I agree. It looks like a cool name, too! But if you do not want to have folks call him Leaf, could you spell it Lafe?

I like the name. However, it immediately brought Leif Garret to mind. He was oh so fab back in the day. And then I would think his life didn't work out so great so maybe I shouldn't name him that.

It will be mispronounced alot so if you are okay with it then go for it.

I have no idea who Leif Garrett is.:lol: I have to spell my girl's names all the time and our last name trips people up too.

I think of Leif Garrett, too. He's in such a bad place still (Watch World's Dumbest....). It would be too much of a reminder for me.

This was my immediate thought as well. Mispronunciation would be an issue.

:iagree: But it is cute! :001_smile:

My oldest has an unusual name. Whenever someone asked his name,they always asked how to spell it. He knew how to spell his name by the time he was 2 1/2. :lol: When asked he name he would say it then spell it. :lol: it was so cute.:D He loves his name by the way. Even his younger brother wishes he was named the same name.:lol:

I have known several Leifs over the years, they didn't seem to have a problem with the name being mispronounced.

If I remember right, Colleen (an member from way back) has a son named Leif, you might pm her and see if they have had many issues with it.

:iagree:

One of my brothers is named Leif. He's had some people pronounce it "leaf", which I never understood because no one pronounces "neighbor" as "neaghbor", but whatever;).

Since I obviously think of my brother when I hear the name, I automatically think Scandinavian (Norwegian, in our case), blond, tall, responsible, solid work-ethic, generous, quiet, great sense of humor, not into drama:lol:.

I have a Leif. Pronounced with a long E because I was young and stupid and didn't thoroughly research :) The name kind of came up at the last minute, and I'd just had a baby, so wasn't exactly thinking totally clearly.

So obviously, I like the name. Perhaps more importantly, he seems to like it and the historical connection.

Funny story: when he was about 6 months old, we walked in a dentist's office, and the receptionist said "He looks just like Leif Erikson!". We'd never met any of them before, and the appointment was for me, not him. Guess we chose the right name!

We have a bit of a problem now in that we have another child with an Ei name, which I want pronounced as a long A (and that's the correct way), but everyone else pronounces it with more of an eh sound. Perhaps if we'd pronounced Leif's name correctly in the first place, people who interpret her Ei correctly.

Edited by ocelotmom

Guest submarines
My oldest has an unusual name. Whenever someone asked his name,they always asked how to spell it. He knew how to spell his name by the time he was 2 1/2. :lol: When asked he name he would say it then spell it. :lol: it was so cute.:D He loves his name by the way. Even his younger brother wishes he was named the same name.:lol:

DS says his name, and then spells it. One of his swimming instructors misunderstood, and kept calling him by the spelled-out version of his name for the entire 2 months. DS found it really cute, and never corrected him.

At the end o the class I came over to introduce myself, as "Xan's mom", and the instructor stared at me, and then said, "Oh, X.A.N.'s mom?" :lol:

I really like Leif! So what if you'd need to spell it? I'd rather spell out Leif, than one of the Kr8ive spelling of Ashley. :tongue_smilie: I actually like the added meaning of "leaf". My youngest's name is a regular name in English, but also sounds like the name of a flower in another language. Most don't know about it, and I love this secret layered meaning within her name. :D

I have known several Leifs over the years, they didn't seem to have a problem with the name being mispronounced.

If I remember right, Colleen (an member from way back) has a son named Leif, you might pm her and see if they have had many issues with it.

She actually has a Rafe. I believe they chose that spelling so that no one would mis-pronounce it. (Maybe instead of Ralph like Ralph Fiennes?)

Our last name is Scotch-Irish and my girls and I are all fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes. My husband has red hair with hazel eyes. I really think the name fits perfectly with our family. LOL

I must say that saying all of your kids names together along with Leif sounds very poetical. Perfect.

The only Leif I know is a Leif Erickson.. How cruel were his parents? LOL It is pronounced Leaf and he's actually part Japanese:lol:. He's a nice guy.. a little laid back and happy go lucky.

The only Leif (layfe) I have heard of is a local auto repair shop with an unsavory reputation. Very profitable but not above taking advantage of an "it's legal and we don't necessarily care if it's moral" attitude.

Had to spell my name all my life..although most people do pronounce it correctly if they see it written.. There are worse things:D

Lori