Menu

Oral thrush in adults?

So after looking at far more pictures of tongues online than I ever cared to, I'm pretty sure I have thrush in my mouth. :glare:

I've been on antibiotics off and on for a couple of months now to treat a constant, horrible sinus infection and then for a sore throat so bad I couldn't drink water. Today I woke up feeling like I burned my entire tongue. Not pain, but that really annoying sensation you get like your tongue is fuzzy or something. And no matter how hard I brush, it stays white. So I'm pretty sure it's thrush.

Is there any kind of home remedy for this? I really don't want to go to the doctor again if I don't have to, but this is beyond annoying, and I don't want it to get worse, either. Thanks!

i had it after dd #3 was born. so did she. the solution to it all, after trying many other things including nystatin, was purple. (Gentian violet). we looked like we had come straight out of a horror film, but it worked, and quite quickly, too!

i believe likely causes include antibiotic use (which you've been doing), but it can also be a diabetes indicator, so you may want to have that checked?

:grouphug::grouphug: that mouth burning sensation is no fun!

ann

a md would prescribe nystatin to kill the yeast causing the thrust. not a big deal.

if you want to go to your local health supplement store - get a good yeast cleanse. (generally, if you have enough yeast to have thrush, you have lots of yeast elsewhere.) start slowly. yeast will react to being killed.

yogurt generally is high in sugar - which FEEDS yeast. If you want to go that route (which will help, but not eradicate) do greek yogurt as it has higher culture levels, lower sugar, and is more effective.

eta; antibiotics kill the "good" bacteria in your *entire* system that keep yeast in check.

Edited by gardenmom5

So after looking at far more pictures of tongues online than I ever cared to, I'm pretty sure I have thrush in my mouth. :glare:

I've been on antibiotics off and on for a couple of months now to treat a constant, horrible sinus infection and then for a sore throat so bad I couldn't drink water. Today I woke up feeling like I burned my entire tongue. Not pain, but that really annoying sensation you get like your tongue is fuzzy or something. And no matter how hard I brush, it stays white. So I'm pretty sure it's thrush.

Is there any kind of home remedy for this? I really don't want to go to the doctor again if I don't have to, but this is beyond annoying, and I don't want it to get worse, either. Thanks!

Well, I'm just getting over this myself, after a ruptured appendix and 10 days of IV antibiotics in a PICC line at Thanksgiving. Fun times.

I had to take 3 rounds of diflucan, and still it was white. I got some Mary's Magic Mouthwash (nystatin rinse) from a little clinic near here by requesting the Nurse Practicioner to give me a script. I avoided sugars and starches for weeks, which feed thrush. I don't eat sugar much anyway. MEVY diet. Meat, Eggs, vegetables, and PLAIN yogurt are recommended.

Now I'm still rinsing with Grapeseed Extract liquid (in water, must dilute) daily and still taking 250 billion in probiotics every day. Almost gone.

It's an uphill climb.

Thanks everybody! I'm going to start with the plain yogurt and the purple stuff and work my way up from there, I think. I'll go to the doctor if it doesn't go away, but I'm really sick of having to go in there every other day for something. Between dd and I it feels like we've spent most of 2012 at the clinic. :glare: