Menu

Holiday or Normal Day

Is today a holiday around your house or is it a normal day? What are you up to today?

Dh is off today and we are taking a break from school. So far we have been extremely lazy. We stayed up late last night watching a movie together then all slept late this morning. 1 kiddo is watching a wrestling dvd and the other is watching a Cardinals world series dvd. Dh is on his computer and I am on mine. A very relaxing day so far.

My plans for the day??? Put a pizza in the oven later and take a shower. :lol:

So what are you doing today? Any plans? Talk to me :D

DH had to work today. DD15 is home from school.

The rest of us are having a light day. We did our read-aloud, Bible, grammar and math. Now we are watching Liberty Kids. I am so pleased that something I planned to let them watch over the next week turned this school day into a real treat.

Normal day here.

My husband had the option to either stay home or go to the office and bank a vacation day for later. We have a very tight budget this week and didn't have plans to do anything fun. So, he opted to go in to work.

I finally finished re-working our goals and lesson plans for the second semester just this weekend, and I'm more than a little unhappy about how far behind we are in math and English.

So, since my husband isn't home, and we can use all the catch-up time we can scrounge, I declared today a normal school day.

I don't think my son has a clue that some people are off today. Both his choir and his dance school are meeting today.

Normal day here.

I have a couple of errands to run (bills I wanted to pay in person) but the offices are closed today and I keep forgetting. I must have had the same conversation with dh today five times already:

Me: I'm going to head over to xyz company and my friend's house then go over to abc company in about an hour. Need me to do anything else while I'm out?

Dh: Why do you need to go to xyz and abc?

Me: I need to drop some bill payments off.

Dh: Aren't they closed today?

Me: Oh yeah. Shoot. Guess I'll do it tomorrow.

Recently added ending to the conversation on the last go-around:

Dh: (In his best Mr. Burns voice) When you see me touch my cap thusly, we've already had this conversation.)

Half normal here. The kids go to a charter KG that is part of their daycare. KG is not in session, so we were lazy about getting out the door. Arrived at school around 9:50am and found that hardly any of the daycare kids showed up. So the girls are doing whatever the staff can think of to keep them busy all day. They are supposed to have music lessons in the afternoon, assuming the music teacher doesn't cancel.

For me, it is a work day, but it's a less-stress workday since many of our clients [banks, government units, charities] are on vacation.

Somewhere in between... DD asked if she could have the day off since her neighborhood friends do. I reminded her that she didn't finish her Science last week, so she has to do that, plus she has her regular music practice and Awana memorization, and her thank-you notes from her birthday. She'll be busy for most of the day.

The younger ones are going to learn about the new food pyramid (MyPlate?) to understand why they have to eat balanced meals :tongue_smilie:Plus chores and music and Awana.

Usually we do a day of light school on MLK Day, including learning about MLK and the civil rights movement.

We're taking a holiday today, but only because it snowed! Snow is a big deal here, so the boys spent the morning playing outside in the powdered sugar dusting we got. The snow is all gone, but we decided to skip school anyway because dh is off work and ds11 got braces on this morning and the day is half gone. They're all off to the Asian grocery with our new exchange student so that we can make Korean food tomorrow. They will do music practice when they get back, but that's all.

Cat

It's a catch up day. Last week I gave the kids a day off to read and play outside since the weather was so beautiful with the understanding that we would work on Saturday instead. Well that didn't work out very well :glare: It never does in this family. So I decided to make this a make up day along with a lesson/discussion about MLK.

Normal day - in fact it is a pretty heavy workload day.

Ds is not feeling well, but I am cracking the whip. He has an online math class tomorrow and is taking a literary analysis class from Brave Writer that requires quite a bit of work. He also has a French 2 test on Friday (one day a week ps school). This is end of semester, he currently has an 89 in the class, and the semester test is on Friday. He needs to pull this up.

Dd is pushing to catch up on Lightning Lit and American History.

MLK study is listening to the "I Have a Dream" speech, pictures, bio and a quiz on Scholastic site. Southern dinner tonight celebrating MLK's birthplace -Atlanta.

Tomorrow we start our new school year...9th grade. This morning I cooked a huge breakfast, cleaned the kitchen and took stock..went shopping and cleaned the house. Everything for tomorrow is ready, so all I have left today is to cook dinner and finish up the laundry. :D Oh yeah...a holiday. :lol:

Dh was off today. Ds had a homeschool friend over. The family just moved back to our area after having been gone (his dad is military) for 2 years. The boys have known each other since they were 7, and they were glad to spend time together.

We take off when dh is off, and since he works in a government facility they're off when most other people aren't. We don't celebrate or study the day on the specific day. We just take time off. We do the same on President's Day and Columbus Day, both of which are holidays for dh.

Normally I treat it as a half day. We watch the "I have a Dream Speech" and discuss it along with Civil Rights and Human Rights in general.

This year, however, I had a doctors appointment and the doc is near my grandma so I took the kids with me and they spent the day with their great-grandma.

I had planned to have a normal school day, but it didn't work out that way. I scratched my cornea on Friday and wasn't able to do anything all weekend. I needed a day to get some things under control. DH and my public schooled high school son were home plus the dryer repairman spent the morning here, so the distractions would have made it hard anyway.

Since hubby still works, so do we. The non religious holidays we take off are the 4th of July, Labor & memorial Day Hubby's shop is closed for those.

It is always surprising to get no mail on these holidays.

We study the presidents & MLK as we get to them in history. (TOG)

A very light day. In the morning, we just did our Bible lesson, some stuff from "Family Math", and silent reading. Then we learned a bit about MLK - reading about him and Rosa Parks, watching a little documentary, listening to the I Have a Dream Speech, and talking about his impact, and the types of human rights problems we have today... very interesting to hear a 2 y/o's perspective versus a 13 y/o's perspective.

Dh had the afternoon off, so we headed off to DC (we live quite close) to go to the MLK memorial, and then went to a special MLK program at the American history museum.

For dinner, I tried to make something close to what MLK would've eaten... though that didn't quite work out :D.

It was a fun day.

A very light day. In the morning, we just did our Bible lesson, some stuff from "Family Math", and silent reading. Then we learned a bit about MLK - reading about him and Rosa Parks, watching a little documentary, listening to the I Have a Dream Speech, and talking about his impact, and the types of human rights problems we have today... very interesting to hear a 2 y/o's perspective versus a 13 y/o's perspective.

Dh had the afternoon off, so we headed off to DC (we live quite close) to go to the MLK memorial, and then went to a special MLK program at the American history museum.

For dinner, I tried to make something close to what MLK would've eaten... though that didn't quite work out :D.

It was a fun day.

What do you use for your Bible lesson? I thought the word "Bible" usually refers the OT and NT and since you were Jewish you wouldn't use the NT.