Menu

Holes in Lang Arts, need resources

cjbeach

My dd will be returning to a B&M school next year. Looking over the state standards I can see that she has some holes:

1. Language Arts- we need to work on story elements and figurative language. Luckily her writing tutor has been going over similes and metaphors when he noted that gap. I'm a little lost here for resources, we've pretty much have always stuck with grammar and literature as our Lang Arts "curriculum" but we have holes (in comparison to our state standards). I have Figuratively Speaking on my Amazon wish list and have various story elements consumable workbooks on my list as well. Here's a question - I've never seen a AO Lifepak in person but I went through the S&S of their Lang Arts units and it looks like the Grade 5 Lang Arts Lifepak would fill in some of our holes in our Language Arts. Anyone have experience with Lifepaks? Looking to fill holes here, nothing more...

2. Social Studies - we've done more history a la WTM so of course we have the SS "hole" but I think I can correct that with a consumable SS book from a local teacher's store.

Thanks so much!

Don't worry a bit. These aren't holes. First, the state standards are rarely followed with any consistency within a school (let alone a district or state). But even if they were taught identically in every classroom by every teacher, no teacher would assume that all children in the class had actually mastered every state standard. A teacher would review this sort of thing before introducing it in more depth. But really... it may surprise you how haphazard it all is.

To the OP--

I understand what the others are saying and would probably agree with them on a deeper level. But if I had my child going back to school in the fall, I would be looking to do just the same thing as you--trying to get my child caught to the school's curriculum.

I am not sure what I would recommend, though. You may try checking out the _What Your _-Grader Needs to Know_ books from the library. You could get multiple grades and read the sections that are pertinent.

Workbooks would likely be the best thing, but I am not sure which ones would be best for you. I have been *very* happy with the Evan-Moor workbooks I have bought. They are great for covering "Standards." You might look into those. Usually you can see the table of contents or the list of things covered on their webiste, or perhaps even preview the whole workbook before you buy it.

If there are a few things that still need to be covered, you can google them to find pre-made worksheets. Sometimes I do this to find worksheets for things we need extra practice with (writing quotations, similes/metaphors/etc).

OP-

I would spend some time working with story elements, as those tend to be on state testing / leveling tests that your child will see in a b&m school. You can do that using literature, and identifying the story elements within. You don't really need special material, just make sure you understand what they are and then talk about them.

I think it's dry and uninspiring, but Winning With Writing is the most "public school" type writing program I've found. We use, and love WWE, and also some elements of Bravewriter, but since he wants to go to public school next year for junior high I'm making work through WWW.

First, I wouldn't stress too much about the standards. In asking DS what he learned in public school for language arts and social studies, it was a lot of "I don't know." I don't think you need a separate curriculum as most school districts and states have their scope and sequences online.

For figurative language, most kids won't remember alliteration, onomatopoeia, or simile/metaphor. Usually it's introduced as a concept, but not drilled in testing. Spend a few moments introducing them, but don't sweat it. Make a checklist and point out when it happens in dd's readings.

For story elements, google is your friend. Things like main characters, setting. Briefly discuss plot: conflict (what went wrong), climax (what was the aha! moment), resolution (how were things fixed). When reading, go through the story sequence: first, next, then, finally. Talk about the books your dd is reading, running through these items. Create a checklist if need be.

Finally, again check out your state's scope and sequence. You might find, like I did, that it's focused on local/state history. My ds couldn't remember a thing from his social studies in public school, but could talk your ear off about George Washington, Patrick Henry, and John Hancock. Look up the SandS, create a checklist, and run through the information.

The biggie is writing. At least once a week, your dd should be writing a paragraph, proofing it, and rewriting it. In a few states I've researched, fourth graders are expected to write 3-5 paragraphs on a regular basis. You also might want to introduce prompted writing, with a time limit introduced eventually.

Thank you all!

We have a writing tutor who caught the fact that the kids did have a few gaps/holes. He has spent time in writing similes and metaphors with the kids, as I said. He also has the kids doing 5 min increments in a writing journal to increase their output. We're seeing a slow improvement. I definitely dropped the ball in writing.

I love Even Moor products, will definitely check them out. Now that you mentioned it, I should use Daily Language lessons in addition to Daily Paragraph. I'll have to go peruse one at B&N and see if addresses story elements and figurative language. Thanks again!