Menu

HELP New at homeschooling and High schooler very behind

Guest Jessie

Hello, I am VERY new to homeschooling and will try to

make this as short and to the point as possible. I hope I started this thread at the right forum, I apologize if I didn't :) My

nephew is 17 yrs old (18 this summer) and is way behind

in his subjects. It is very long and horrible story that

includes some health problems his mother had, and the

divorce his parents had making his mother homeschooling

as a single parent before her cancer came about. Anyway's

my sister's health got the best of her, she thought she

was getting help with her son's education, (his father)

plus he wasn't working as independently as he should have

been, and now it's his junior yr (or should I say the

year he'd be in if he were in public school) and he is

just now starting Algebra, (seems to be having a hard

time with it as well) and is on an 8th grade level in

Language arts, he absolutely hates writing as well, but I

think mainly it's because he is behind. His reading

comprehension could also be better, oh and I forgot to

mention he has ADD, and depression, zero self-esteem the

depression is from almost losing his mother, and the

divorce of his parents, he is also an only child. My

sister has no family but me and is still very ill, I am

taking it upon myself to help her out, although I work

part-time, this child need's more than what his parents

can give him. He is just soo behind I don't have a clue

as to what to do?! I work part-time so some of his

studies would have to be independent (he and I have

already discussed the importance in this and this time I

think he is serious about catching up)I don't think that

putting him back in public school would help,they would

put him back to 7th or 8th grade. I am glad he is the

only child I need to focus on, but I do not know where to

start, especially since he is so behind?! It's almost as

if he has been unschooled, which I am not against, it just seems that way, but we definitely want him schooled but not at a public school. Tutoring, online, do school

work 24-7? He is also frustrated and wants to graduate

next year, but how, and is that even possible? I am

panicking here! I just wanna scream and cry!! Any

suggestion's? Thanks!

Jessie

Hello, I am VERY new to homeschooling and will try to

make this as short and to the point as possible. I hope I started this thread at the right forum, I apologize if I didn't

My nephew is 17 yrs old (18 this summer) and is way behind in his subjects. It is very long and horrible story that includes some health problems his mother had, and the divorce his parents had making his mother homeschooling as a single parent before her cancer came about.

Anyways, my sister's health got the best of her, she thought she was getting help with her son's education, (his father) plus he wasn't working as independently as he should have been, and now it's his junior yr (or should I say the year he'd be in if he were in public school) and he is just now starting Algebra, (seems to be having a hard time with it as well) and is on an 8th grade level in Language arts, he absolutely hates writing as well, but I think mainly it's because he is behind. His reading comprehension could also be better, oh and I forgot to mention he has ADD, and depression, zero self-esteem the depression is from almost losing his mother, and the divorce of his parents, he is also an only child. My sister has no family but me and is still very ill, I am taking it upon myself to help her out, although I work part-time, this child needs more than what his parents can give him. He is just soo behind I don't have a clue as to what to do?!

I work part-time so some of his studies would have to be independent (he and I have already discussed the importance in this and this time I think he is serious about catching up)I don't think that putting him back in public school would help,they would put him back to 7th or 8th grade. I am glad he is the only child I need to focus on, but I do not know where to start, especially since he is so behind?! It's almost as if he has been unschooled, which I am not against, it just seems that way, but we definitely want him schooled but not at a public school. Tutoring, online, do school work 24-7? He is also frustrated and wants to graduate next year, but how, and is that even possible? I am panicking here! I just wanna scream and cry!! Any suggestions? Thanks!

:grouphug: I feel your pain.

ITA with Jean. I'm thinking that y'all should look into the community college. I don't see how you could do anything on your own that would enable him to be caught up and ready to graduate in a year. OTOH, many community colleges have high school-level courses, as well as tutoring and extra counseling and whatnot.

This young man is almost an adult. He needs to be looking at what he can do to be self-supporting and productive, because he'll be there in no time at all. He has some obstacles to overcome, but he will be able to if he sets his mind to it. :)

What does he want? What are his goals?

To me grade level means little, but competent skills mean everything.

Start with a review of basic math skills. You could have him take one of the Saxon math placement tests to see where he stands ability level wise and go from there. Everyone needs basic math skills, no matter what their career goal is.

Take him to the library, have him find an author or genre that he enjoys. Have him read, read, read.

Check out a copy of the Well Trained Mind and read the selection towards the back about starting in the middle. It has excellent advice about goal setting for someone who is late starting in the formal education process.

Make sure that he has a voice in the process, but understands that you are there to guide him.

Good luck to you...keep us posted!