Menu

How much time for Math in 4th grade?

RainbowSprinkles

We do a lesson a day plus a calculadder and sometimes an extra practice worksheet. Math is anywhere from 30 mins to an hour.

That being said- she is working on learning long division. An hour was up 20 minutes ago <sigh> after she gets it then I am half way done teaching long division :hurray: (2 more to go- but it will be a while :001_huh:)

I schedule anywhere from 30-45 minutes. I would say 15 minutes is me teaching directly with them (reviewing, speed drill, new concepts). Then, they work on the lesson. If they are working hard, once the time is up, they are done & we just pick up where they left off the day before. If they goof around, the rest is homework. (If I'm not teaching something new or working with them directly, math is scheduled for 30 minutes.)

Goodness, ours is probably closer to 1.5 to 2 hrs counting homework time. We work for a half hour together on review, checking the day before's work, doing corrections, and looking at the new lesson. Then she gets half an hour to work on the day's lesson on her own. She never finishes in the half hour. Then she spends a half hour to an hour in the evenings. I do think she is a dawdler though, and could go faster (as she often does when she needs to whip out the homework so that she can go do something fun) and she is doing grade 5 math. The longest thing for her was the chapter on long mutiplication. Long division hasn't been tough, but doing 325x 325 is for her. I guess there are too many places to make a small mistake, and she took hours on each assignment of those problems.

About an hour... 20 minutes of teaching, 20 minutes independent work, 20 minutes of my daughter gazing at the ceiling, petting the cat, drawing pictures in the margins.

:lol::lol::lol: Sounds just like my house!!!

We usually do about 45 minutes, which includes the obligatory daily lecture(s) about settling down, focusing, don't draw pictures, etc. . .

We cover about 2 pp worth of MM worktext pages. Meaning, if it's an easy topic, and we only do half the problems, or half the page is explanation, we do 3 or 4 pages, but it's really only 2 pages of problems . . . if I try and do more I'm always sorry.

If she does well w/ the 45 min. of work, and gets through at least 2 pp, then we'll do a few LOF chapters. I love math bribery that involves . . . doing more math! ;)

For elementary, I always scheduled three different twenty minute sessions (4 days per week). One session would be the primary lesson for the day; one would be for drill work; and one would be for working on other things, whether mathy games, geometry stuff, things like time and money for the early years, etc. Most of the time, the work scheduled would be finished before the twenty minute session was over, so I'd guess we did about 45 minutes of total math a day most days - just not all at the same time....