Menu

CC Essentials Grammar and Comp this year. What next year?

Mandy in TN

This year my youngest is doing CC Essentials for grammar and composition, but next he will not. Being at CC in the afternoon just takes up too much of our day. I don't really want to use IEW and EEL next year at home, but where should we go from here?

Any thoughts?

Thanks-

Mandy

I'd say Shurley if you were basically happy with the approach used in Essentials. Shurley uses parsing only, and counts on memorized jingles instead of the copywork that Essentials now advocates. I like that Shurley takes a wholistic view of sentences, tearing them down to their parts. Rod and Staff has diagramming, and is less wholistic than Shurley but still solid of course. To pick a level in Shurley, go with the approximate reading level. Each level has a lot of review and doesn't count on completing the prior level.

For writing, I know that some have gone from Essentials to Classical Writing, or you could use Memoria's new printing of Classical Composition. Classical Composition by James Shelby has been around for awhile, but is being brought under Memoria Press and there are more levels in the original editions than are shown on the Memoria website.

Edited by GVA

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not interested in singing. We are finding that with my youngest singing gets in the way of learning rather than assisting it. I'll look at R&S. What about Harvey's Elementary Grammar and Composition? I've been looking around today and it looks promising.

I do like IEW and have used it for years, but I thought we might give a more traditional composition whirl. You know something that explains topic sentences, letter writing and whatnot.

Thank again-

Mandy

I am not interested in singing. We are finding that with my youngest singing gets in the way of learning rather than assisting it. I'll look at R&S. What about Harvey's Elementary Grammar and Composition? I've been looking around today and it looks promising.

I do like IEW and have used it for years, but I thought we might give a more traditional composition whirl. You know something that explains topic sentences, letter writing and whatnot.

Thank again-

Mandy

Sounds like Winning with Writing might fit for you. I like Harveys, but found it difficult to use and some of the terminology antiquated. I like Rod and Staff.

Good luck

Lisa

Thank again-

Mandy

There's a series of writing workbooks called Writing Skills - they would be more traditional writing, with topic sentences, etc. and they're cheap! http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=7&category=1653

For grammar, I have not used any of the AG products yet, but I wonder if JAG would be more holistic? Also, what about MCT?

There's a series of writing workbooks called Writing Skills - they would be more traditional writing, with topic sentences, etc. and they're cheap! http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=7&category=1653

For grammar, I have not used any of the AG products yet, but I wonder if JAG would be more holistic? Also, what about MCT?

It is very similar to both Shurley and CC's approach. That would be a good choice if you want parsing.

Also for writing you might look at Essentials in Writing. They cover more traditional assignments and use graphic organizers.