Menu

Do you ever redo a grade?

hsmom

I know most homeschoolers don't go by grades, but it makes it easier for me and my reporting to the district every year.

Here is what we are running into. We are doing second grade this year, but there really has not been enough progress in our year to make me confident to go to the third grade next year. I have been looking at third grade material and it expects a higher reading level than what he is at. I know we still have a lot of time till next year. But I am already worrying.

So my question is do I report him as second again next year or should I report as third for the chance he does catch up (which could really happen) so we don't have a problem with them wondering why we skipped a grade somewhere?

Or should I slow down and just redo this year next year if needed, but still what do I report. I am so lost this morning on what to do.

I think you should report him as a third grader next year.

Unless you think he has serious learning issues, it is probable that he will improve and catch up to where you think he should be. And if you've held him back on paper, we'll be having the discussion about skipping a grade. :)

Thank you Ellie. I will do that.

YW. ;-)

Let me clarify, though, that you should teach him at whatever level he's capable of. And since you are not required to test or evaluate, any noodling around of his academic achievements won't be noticeable by outsiders. :D

Yeah I would just report him as a 3rd grader too. He'll catch up. Also, I would finish up what is required academically for reading/writing/math for this year and then immerse yourself in books towards the end of the school year and through summer. Reading some non-fiction books will help replace science/social studies, etc. you might not be so focused on. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak...It could be he catches up reading wise without the added pressures of other subject work weighing you both down.

DO you have to test? In my state, unless you go through a cover school that doesn't require testing, 3rd grade is a required testing year, and for that reason, I'd be reluctant to list a child as a 3rd grader unless I was confident they'd be able to pass that test-because if a child fails that test, it can trigger state interference in homeschooling. I know several families with kids who have reading issues who were concerned about testing who either switched to a cover school that didn't require testing for 3rd or listed their child as 2nd twice, then skipped to 4th (which apparently passed muster).

DO you have to test? In my state, unless you go through a cover school that doesn't require testing, 3rd grade is a required testing year, and for that reason, I'd be reluctant to list a child as a 3rd grader unless I was confident they'd be able to pass that test-because if a child fails that test, it can trigger state interference in homeschooling. I know several families with kids who have reading issues who were concerned about testing who either switched to a cover school that didn't require testing for 3rd or listed their child as 2nd twice, then skipped to 4th (which apparently passed muster).

Testing is not required in WY.

Most states which require testing don't do anything with the test scores; some don't even require test results to be reported.