Menu

Help with Back to Basics for 7th Grade Nephew

I realized that I have to meet my nephew where he is at no matter how much I wish it were different, sigh! So after reading extensively on the internet about ADD/ADHD and Visual-Spatial Learners and consulting with my best friend who is a school psychologist we are going back to the basics concentrating solely on:

Phonics - All About Spelling Level 1

Writing - Writing with Skill Level 1

Grammar - ?

Math - Math U See Beta

What I'm not sure about is grammar. He is finishing up the sample of Advanced Language Lessons Level 1 but he is not retaining. I was debating between R&S and AG but wondering is there something more visual and hands on?

After a couple of months I would like to add in:

Logic - Games and puzzles

Study Skills - following directions, reading instructions, organization, time management, etc

For fun we will do the following when time permits:

Reading - SOTW, Medieval Classics, and HF (3rd grade level) and I read aloud

Science - Anatomy w/ Lab dissections and microscope, videos, cooking, and activities

P.E. - Basketball Team, Aerobics, and Weightlifting

I also need to know what is a good reading test to use free on the internet that I can administer?

How does this look, am I missing or should change anything?

What I'm not sure about is grammar. He is finishing up the sample of Advanced Language Lessons Level 1 but he is not retaining. I was debating between R&S and AG but wondering is there something more visual and hands on?

Have you looked into Montessori grammar symbols? They have printouts free online, but looking at what you've written you may want to pick up a box of the wooden ones to give him a more hands on approach. There are also sentence analysis symbols to help with later grammar.

We used Writing Tales as a quick way to catch up my son in late elementary. They incorporate movement and games into a classical program that includes copywork, grammar, writing skills, and spelling/vocab.

For grammar you could try Winston Grammar -- it comes with tiles that you use to label the sentence parts. My favorite grammar though is R&S, dry but so thorough. It reviews throughout the book and includes punctuation. Winston grammar is grammar only, no punctuation.

If he is struggling with grammar, I would try grade 5 of R&S.

Linda

You might want to be prepared to back up and use one level WWE before WWS if he has trouble. I started with WWS with my 7th grader this year and she has had no problems, but she also has no disabilities. If he is good at writing and organizing, he may be fine. However, he is coming out of public school right? I am going to assume he has never done a narration before and ADD kids are notorious for having trouble with writing. These two factors may lead to great frustration for him because he will be expected to produce something he hasn't been taught to produce.

Just a heads up from a parent with a child who has ASD and gets meeting your child where they are.

:grouphug:

I asked almost this exact question a week ago. I got some really great ideas on HOW to try and decide what to use and HOW to structure the student's day. It might be worth read to see if anything resonates with you. I can't figure out how to link, but you could search 7th grade, in thread titles, and it will pop up. Good luck.

Edited by littlewigglebutts

My oldest is visual/spatial. We're using AG this year and he is quite successful with it. However, he did have some grammar background to pull from. He did one year of Easy Grammar in 5th grade, one year of Shurley Grammar in 6th grade, and no grammar in 7th grade. He was doing Latin that year and I let that count toward grammar.

I can't speak to how well it works if you're coming in with minimal grammar exposure.

You might want to be prepared to back up and use one level WWE before WWS if he has trouble. I started with WWS with my 7th grader this year and she has had no problems, but she also has no disabilities. If he is good at writing and organizing, he may be fine. However, he is coming out of public school right? I am going to assume he has never done a narration before and ADD kids are notorious for having trouble with writing. These two factors may lead to great frustration for him because he will be expected to produce something he hasn't been taught to produce.

Just a heads up from a parent with a child who has ASD and gets meeting your child where they are.

:grouphug:

You are so right! I am going to use the WWE Evaluations to determine where to place my nephew. If he passes all of it then we will start WWS again. He has never done narrations, dictations, or copywork. I need to listen to SWB lectures on writing again!

I asked almost this exact question a week ago. I got some really great ideas on HOW to try and decide what to use and HOW to structure the student's day. It might be worth read to see if anything resonates with you. I can't figure out how to link, but you could search 7th grade, in thread titles, and it will pop up. Good luck.

I will research your thread and read it. Thanks!

My oldest is visual/spatial. We're using AG this year and he is quite successful with it. However, he did have some grammar background to pull from. He did one year of Easy Grammar in 5th grade, one year of Shurley Grammar in 6th grade, and no grammar in 7th grade. He was doing Latin that year and I let that count toward grammar.

I can't speak to how well it works if you're coming in with minimal grammar exposure.

Considering how my nephew had all D's and F's and spent the majority of his time daydreaming I think it safe to say he has no grammar background! The good thing is since he has come to me for homeschooling working with him one on one has made a world of difference. Currently we are using the ALL sample by SWB which is scripted. Even though I speak to him directly he does not stay focused and misses key information when reading instructions. I think the key for him is going to be to keep his hands busy so he stays focused and on task.