Menu

Please compare TT Geometry and Saxon Geometry

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I have done an extensive research on both of this curriculums, but I need some help. My dd is doing ChalkDust Geometry and although she is doing well, it is taking forever and needs a lot of my coaching (We are finishing Chapter 3...)

I would like for her to finish Geometry by the end of this school year if possible and also not to need so much hand holding. She is a very good student and wants to go to nursing school, so I really do not want to short change her academically either. I would like for her to do very well in the SAT/ACT exams also.

I guess I am trying to decide which curriculum would help us finish Geometry in a decent timeframe, a little bit more independently, and without hurting her academically.

Advice and suggestions are very welcome. Thanks in advance for your time and help. :)

Chena from Georgia

Edited by Chena
Add something else

Saoxn's geometry text wasn't yet available when dd did geometry, so I don't have experience with that specifically and I don't know anything about TT, but I can tell you that Saxon teaches very nicely directly to the student. Especially since she's already had some geometry, your daughter should be able to work two lessons a day or even test out of some work, and that will help her to finish before the start of next year. From what I've noticed in flipping through it, it seems lighter on the formal proofs and more concentrated on the practical side of geometry which is what's tested on SAT/ACT. Hopefully others who have used that text will be able to help. :)

I've only used the TT one. But I've chatted with a couple of folks at convention who commented that Saxon Geometry isn't the same as Saxon math. It was put together after Mr. Saxon was deceased.

One family in particular had a mathy dad who had worked with Saxon all along & couldn't work with Saxon Geometry. Just a secondary experience, though, not admissible in court :)

Julie