Menu

Spanish for 7th grade

Which Spanish for a 7th grader finishing Getting Started with Spanish?  

1. 1. Which Spanish for a 7th grader finishing Getting Started with Spanish?

• Avancemos
    • Breaking the Spanish Barrier- beginner level
    • Spanish for Children
    • Other- please be specific

I am researching to find something to use for Spanish for 7th grade. Ds has completed 2 of 3 years of Rosetta Stone (3-year homeschool version) and will complete Getting Started with Spanish in May.

The three programs I'm considering are:

• Avancemos (Not sure how home-school friendly this is)
  • Breaking the Spanish Barrier- beginner level
  • Spanish for Children

I need something homeschool friendly. I had only one year of Spanish in high school... I can help just a little bit. I'd also like to keep cost down as much as possible.

Given ds's experience in Spanish, what would you vote for? What would follow GSwS for a 7th grade boy?

If you have any other Spanish suggestions, please share.:001_smile:

I think that a switch to SFC after GSWS would be a big change in focus. GSWS focuses on grammar, yes, but also on speaking, listening, and translation. SFC is the straight "classical" approach: grammar-first, chanting, the whole deal. I don't think it's a model that's suited to learning a modern language, if you want to be conversational in the language. I think it's got the wrong focus, frankly.

Tara

I think that a switch to SFC after GSWS would be a big change in focus. GSWS focuses on grammar, yes, but also on speaking, listening, and translation. SFC is the straight "classical" approach: grammar-first, chanting, the whole deal. I don't think it's a model that's suited to learning a modern language, if you want to be conversational in the language. I think it's got the wrong focus, frankly.

Tara

You may be completely right,yet after comparing several programs I think SfC might be the best next step for us. We will have to continue a foreign language into high school to satisfy graduation requirements, so there will be time to practice conversation. Other curricula besides SfC look too advanced especially since pre-algebra and a challenging science of some kind will take time to do.

SfC may not be perfect, but I don't see anything I like better for the moment. Tara, I think you suggested Avencemos, and it is a beautiful text. How homeschool friendly is it? Since it is written for a class, it looked like more than I want to implement and kind of expensive too. I would love to hear how you organize/schedule it. There were so many options that I felt defeated just looking at it. I hope it doesn't sound bad, but I don't feel like I do well tweaking curriculum. The more planned out and easy to implement, the better.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama