Menu

Which forward facing car seat do you have that you love?

radian! goes up to 80 pounds in a 5 point harness! easy buckles and my son loves it!
:iagree:

Britax Frontier 85. Does everything, converts to everything.
:iagree:

I have both. Love them for different reasons. The radian is narrower and fits great in DH's car. The Frontier is in my van and works great too.

We have both a Nautilus and a Radian - love them both! The Radian is our primary right now since I have to shove 3 kids in carseats in the back of a Toyota Corolla.

I'm hearing the radian makes a bad booster? Any thoughts on that? We are probably a year away from boostering, so I don't want to shell out a ton for the radian if it won't convert.

I'm hearing the radian makes a bad booster? Any thoughts on that? We are probably a year away from boostering, so I don't want to shell out a ton for the radian if it won't convert.

I don't have their booster(I guess meaning using the car's shoulder straps?).I've never heard anything about their boosters being bad. I have the Radian65, which is a 5-pt harness. Even the Nautilus, which converts to a straight booster, I have her in the harness. I don't want any of my kids in a booster until there is no feasible way for me to keep them in a harness.

It might be worth poking around at car-seat.org to get more info. The ladies there are incredibly knowledgeable.

Is this for your 4yo or your 2yo? I'm assuming the 4yo.

Diono (formerly called Sunshine Kids) makes the Radian, which is a RF and FF harnessed seat. It does not convert to a booster. (Edit: Nope, now it does convert to a booster. Thank you to jennsmile for the correction. :) )

Britax's Frontier is a FF harnessed seat which converts to a highback booster.

Graco's Nautilus and the newer Graco Argos are both FF harnessed seats that convert to highback boosters and then backless boosters. The Argos is like a Nautilus with a redesigned harness, which can be adjusted without first uninstalling the seat.

We have all three, and I think they're all great seats. My 8yo is now in the Frontier as a highback booster, while my 5yo is in the Nautilus (harnessed) in one car and the Radian in the other.

For a child who is already forward-facing, I'd probably go with a Nautilus, Argos, or Frontier. However, if you need a narrow seat or will be handing the seat down to a younger sib at some point, the Radian is a great choice. In other words, consider the Radian if your youngest will need a new seat in a couple years. Then you could pass it down, and get a dedicated booster for your middle child. The Radian also makes a good, albeit heavy, travel seat (air travel).

One thing to know is that the Frontier is difficult and even impossible to install in some cars. Plan to spend quite a while getting a good install the first time. Patience is key, and search the car-seat.org forums for installation tips. If you can, try it out before buying, or buy from a retailer with a generous return policy.

In contrast, the Nautilus and the Radian (FF) are relatively easy to install in most cars.

Edited by jplain

I really like the Radian100 that we had for DS7 - we'll keep using that in DH's car.

We just got a Britax Boulevard 70 CS for my car when the baby turns one (he's only got about an inch to go in the Britax Chaparone baby carrier/car-seat we are using now) - I haven't installed it yet, but it looks great!

radian! goes up to 80 pounds in a 5 point harness! easy buckles and my son loves it!

I have a Radian as well. I dislike it because the straps twist. Britax = no twist straps. All three of mine are in Britax seats.

The Frontier goes up to 85 pounds, has a five-point harness, converts to a full backed booster, and a booster without a back.

The Frontier goes up to 85 pounds, has a five-point harness, converts to a full backed booster, and a booster without a back.

(bolding mine)

This is incorrect. The Britax Frontier does not convert to a backless booster. It only converts to a highback booster. However, because the Frontier's booster mode can accommodate a tall child, it is likely that once your child outgrows the Frontier's booster mode s/he'll be ready to graduate to a seatbelt only, no backless booster needed.

If you want a seat that can go from harnessed to highback booster to backless booster, the Graco seats (Nautilus and Argos) are good choices.

Diono (formerly called Sunshine Kids) makes the Radian, which is a RF and FF harnessed seat. It does not convert to a booster.

(FF) are relatively easy to install in most cars.

Now it does. It used to not convert. Now it does convert to a booster. http://us.diono.com/en/car-seats

Gotta love change. :001_smile:

My dd has a Britax Boulevard. She's five and just flipped to forward facing. She's a tiny thing, but I think she'll outgrow it in height before she outgrows the five point harness. I need ideas for a new one?!

How far does she have to go before her ears are even with the top of the shell (not the headrest/wings)? How heavy is she now?

A Radian, Nautilus (or Argos) or Frontier would give her plenty of growing room. If she's really lightweight, that's the way I'd go. However, there's no evidence that keeping her harnessed after age 5 and 40 pounds is safer than putting her in a highback booster. Assuming she'll be 40 pounds when she outgrows the Boulevard, and as long as you can teach her to sit properly in a booster, moving her to a highback booster instead of investing in another harnessed seat would be fine.

Edited by jplain

We have Evenflo seats and we really like them.

They are more wallet friendly, and have excellent safety ratings. :)

They are also very comfortable for the kids. I have 2 in Evenflo 'Big Kid' boosters (but its 'big kid __' - can't remember. xl? something.) and one in an Evenflo convertible carseat. They have much nicer padding than the similarly priced Graco.

A highback booster for my 7 year old and a harnessed ffing seat for the 4 year old. I can definitely pass seats down from one kid to the next with one younger one and the baby on the way... but I don't mind getting a new one if I need to down the road, either. My four year old will be 5 in May and I will probably switch him to a highback booster by the end of this year. But, his seat could be passed down to the next kid... who may be ready to forward face by then (she'll be 3.5 years by that point).

:auto:

(because dd wanted me to add a car... and it sorta fits the topic. ;))

Each kid has a Graco Nautilus - now in booster mode but dd6 has had hers since she was almost 2.5 (was replaced Nov 2010 due to being in an accident) and we've always been happy with them.

Both kids actually still fit in the harness heightwise though they would be at the highest harness slot. I think DS would have about 1/2" of torso growth and DD maybe 1" (possibly less as she has a long torso) and would definitely fit weightwise.

We also have 2 Graco Turboboosters and are quite happy with those as well. They were much easier to take with us when we flew across the country in May.

Currently I have a Britax, but it's rear facing. I really like the features on it, though: easy to install, easy to adjust, and very parent friendly. I looked at a Graco but the LATCH connectors were too much of a PITA. We'll reassess when we get to booster stage, because the Turbo head adjustments are nice, but I'm going to review the video at Which.co.uk to see if I can find something that protects the head similarly to their "good" seats in the crash tests. I find that when I make a wants/needs list it's easier to find the seat for us instead of wading through all the hundreds that are out there.

We have Evenflo seats and we really like them.

They are more wallet friendly, and have excellent safety ratings. :)

They are also very comfortable for the kids. I have 2 in Evenflo 'Big Kid' boosters (but its 'big kid __' - can't remember. xl? something.) and one in an Evenflo convertible carseat. They have much nicer padding than the similarly priced Graco.

Evenflo lost any money from me when I found out that not only did they keep a seat on the market after inhouse tests showed it failed, but that they covered it up and it only came to light after parents had to sue them when their son died. Not when their son died, but years later, after I and many others had bought the same seat. Every seat they have made that has been recalled was because of cracks, seat separation, and being fatally dangerous. When compared to other seat makers (other than Cosco/Dorel), their records and recalls are abysmal. They are masters at manipulating words to mislead parents: their seats say "Side Impact Tested" whereas Britax says "Side Impact Protection." Since side impact testing isn't a requirement to pass federal regulations their claim doesn't mean much, and it's certainly not a guarantee of protection.