Menu

Starting Latin in 8th grade

I know you said you prefer textbook learning, but I'm going to throw this one out to you anyway :D because I believe Lively Latin is truly worth consideration. The course is very engaging, and it connects students to a classical language in a way that is relative to our modern world. Considering that your student is new to homeschooling, it may be a great introduction to the language for the first year. If you want to move on to other curriculum for high school, I believe that the Level 1 would give a good foundation - or if you like it, you could move on within Lively Latin as it advances.

We left our lower level Latin studies a couple of years ago and switched over to French because my dd wanted it so much. The plan has been to come back to Latin for high school, and we will be using Lively Latin.

Blessings as you explore all of the wonderful options in homeschool curriculum. Enjoy!

Lucinda

I know you said you prefer textbook learning, but I'm going to throw this one out to you anyway :D because I believe Lively Latin is truly worth consideration. The course is very engaging, and it connects students to a classical language in a way that is relative to our modern world. Considering that your student is new to homeschooling, it may be a great introduction to the language for the first year. If you want to move on to other curriculum for high school, I believe that the Level 1 would give a good foundation - or if you like it, you could move on within Lively Latin as it advances.

We left our lower level Latin studies a couple of years ago and switched over to French because my dd wanted it so much. The plan has been to come back to Latin for high school, and we will be using Lively Latin.

Blessings as you explore all of the wonderful options in homeschool curriculum. Enjoy!

Lucinda

THis links to Visual Latin. Just wondering if you meant that or if you are referring to Lively Latin.

http://www.livelylatin.com/site/index.php

I believe Wheelocks has the most and best supporting materials. There's also an online answer key for homeschoolers. Amazon has tons of extras. I highly recommend Dale Grote's companion to Wheelock's. Flashcards, etc...are also available. My son downloaded all Wheelock's flashcards from ipodius (for a small fee.) Search the web. You'll find everything you need for Wheelocks. It's the best.

http://sites.google.com/site/spezadams/wheelocks1

First Form Latin is easy to use (it does have a DVD teacher if you so choose - he's short/sweet/to the point - you're not looking at 1 hour teaching sessions anyway). It claims to be one credit of foreign language for high school although you will find a lot of junior high students on these forums that use it. It's well laid out and has a lot of GOOD built in review.

Beth

Any thoughts on Latin Prep to start out with?

I have a current 8th grader and we were thinking about taking up Latin again--he had a year long class in 4ht grade.

Have a look at the samples on the Galore Park site to check that the teaching style fits what your pupil will respond to. Abbeyej did a comparison between Latin Prep and US high school Latin. She found that Latin Prep 1-3 together are the equivalent of about two years of US high school Latin. You'd need to add in more history and civilisation to complete the course though. Galore Park now has a civilisation book too, I believe.

Laura

Link please!

Tara

She just said that she looked at the scope and sequence of LP and compared it to standard US high school expectations. These were her words:

.....(Latin Prep 1-3 = ~ 2 years of American high school Latin), and So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 (which can be used after LP1-3) would count as an American high school Latin 3 class. You will also want to add some basic Roman history/culture in order to match the expectations for a high school language course. Students would be expected to know the basics of Roman government (and the evolution of that government), family structure, household, army and religion...

Laura

THis links to Visual Latin. Just wondering if you meant that or if you are referring to Lively Latin.

http://www.livelylatin.com/site/index.php

:D :D :D

Yes, I DID mean Visual Latin. Thanks for pointing that out. I have no idea how I came up with Lively Latin, as I've never even considered using it. I must have been tired when I typed that post.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We used Latin Prep for 1 year and really liked it. Be aware, though, that the order of the declensions is not the same as the US version. Same material, you just memorize it in a different order.

I would not recommend Wheelocks to a bright but not motivated 8th grader. What it is know for is its use of original statements by the ancients. Either this is its greatest strength or its biggest detractor. It really depends on your daughter, but I would guess that it would be better for a true classic lover. The ancient sentences are very philosophical.

Here are some examples from Ch 7

I now sing new songs about youth for the young girls and boys.

You praise the fortune and character of the ancient common people.

Because of their love of virtue, good men hate to sin.

Under a harsh emperor and in difficult times you dare have the courage to be a good man.

The foolish populace often gives honors to unworthy men.

We always seen the names of stupid men on walls and gates.

Leisure without literature is death.

Many nations are able to tolerate servitude; our state cannot.

Good luck,

Ruth in NZ

The ancient sentences are very philosophical.

Here are some examples from Ch 7

I now sing new songs about youth for the young girls and boys.

You praise the fortune and character of the ancient common people.

My boys' favourite answer to a Latin-English translation in Latin Prep turned out to be:

Master, the friends of the poet are killing the inhabitants with books.

Laura