Menu

Kids' SS class bugged me some -- am I just being a grump?

Jenny in GA

I was asked to help assist in my 8 year old's SS class this morning. She was eager for me to be there, and I was curious to see the brand-new curriculum and format they've been touting for kids' SS this school year, so I said yes.

After the class, I had mixed feelings, and I was just curious what other people thought of this, plus what your kids' SS classes do and how you like them.

Basically, they opened with grades combined for some singing, then split up into two room depending on age. The group I was with played a game, then had a puppet show, then watched a 5-minute or so cartoon video of a Bible story, then did a craft.

What I did like:

- The main teachers were very good with the kids

- I liked how organized the activities were

- My daughter seemed to really enjoy it (before this format, she used to complain about SS being very boring and not learning anything)

What I did NOT like:

- Although they learned a Bible story, I was disappointed there was no reading from the actual Bible. At no point were Bibles opened by anybody, including adults. No actual scripture was read or quoted.

- Along the same lines, they had a "take-away" message that they kept quoting and that was part of their craft: "I won't let Satan steal cause I know Jesus is real!" (said in a "hip" tone with hand movements). For some reason, that bugs me a little, I would have preferred they learn a Bible verse. Am I just being a fuddy-duddy?

- I saved the worst for last: In the puppet show, one of the puppets is dressed in a disguise because he's hiding from some huge kid who is always picking on him, and who said he "was gonna pound him" the next time he saw him. The adult asks if he's told anybody. Puppet said, "Yes, my mom, and she said to pray for him." The dialogue continues that he (puppet being threatened violence by a bully) should pray for this huge bully, maybe even share Jesus with him, and not worry, because Jesus is bigger and more powerful than even bullies. [i went back and read the script again after class just to make sure I didn't miss something.]

WTH?!??

Anyway, I am certainly not going to complain or pull her out of the class or anything, but I was curious with others' SS experiences, and what you like or don't like. I think I am torn because on one hand I like how my daughter is obviously enjoying it, but at the same time it seems a little too "entertaining." But then again, they are just kids (3rd/4th grade)

I am also curious how much you ... well, care about the SS lesson and format. Are you pretty happy as long as the kids enjoy it and it seems theologically sound? Have you ever pulled kids out because you weren't happy with SS?

Thanks!

Well, not Sunday School, as such, bc we're Jewish, but I hate the program at my dd's level at our synagogue. Actually, I hate both their age groups. My fantasy would involve actual prayer, weekly Torah portion, and wholesome songs & activities (no crafts; we don't do those on our Sabbath). What they get is about twenty seconds of prayer, songs like "Herman the Worm" (sorry, but "I burped" is not an appropriate ending to a song in any house of religion!), and free play, running around with balls and card games. Plus junk food. $#!^

So it's absolutely not perfect, but we stick with it - probably because I'm too lazy to overhaul the whole program myself. :-(

I am indeed shocked by the "bully" lesson. It is one thing to pray for someone, but when Jacob was preparing to meet Esau, he did three things: he prayed, he sent gifts, and he got ready for war. From this, we take the lesson that preparedness involves MORE than just praying for someone - God helps those who help themselves, right?

I don't think you are being a fuddy duddy at all. For reasons similar to yours is why my DD who is nearly 6, sits with us in the regular service on Sunday evening and Wednesday evening services(when there is no AWANA). I felt it was too much "fun." Is it okay to have fun at church? Sure, but that isn't why we go to church and I wanted to teach my children that. We go to be reverent and to worship the Lord.

It would bother me too if they never actually opened a Bible as well, especially at the 8 year old level.

It is so hard to plan a good Sunday School program. The audience is so mixed--kids who already know the Bible stories cold, kids who aren't even baptized and have not grown up in a church, kids who are visiting for one day to 'see if they like it'.

I think, too, that the emphasis on 'fun' via videos is to compensate for extreme difficulties in getting instructors to volunteer. They have to be told that 'it's really easy'.

Personally, I believe that Church is more important than Sunday School, but that where both are offered, SS is also a good thing to take your children to in addition to church. I would never visit or join a church that overlaps the two.

Regarding your class, yes, I would hope that the children would learn a Bible verse instead of a slogan. I would hope that they would hear the Word of God. I would hope that the 'application' would not be so questionable. I would be extremely disappointed, and if I were a teacher I would be doing my own thing or resigning in protest. It is crucial to teach little children rightly, and parents need to make sure that that happens whereever their children learn about God, so as a parent, I would protest and look for a better alternative to suggest.

We have left a church because all they did was play. However that hip hop thing would bug me to no end. Plus at your children's ages they should be reading from the Bible in class. When no one does it sets an example that they don't need to read the Bible for themselves either. This leaves them to just trusting that what they are being taught is Truth, when in fact, many churches are not. Not saying that your church is teaching a false gospel, just that the kids need to be taught to read the Bible for themselves. You probably do that, but I would guess that most parents don't.

I (nonreligious) popped in because I thought "SS" meant Social Studies. :blush: I think that sounds terrible. I would prefer in your place that actual scripture verses be studied, the whole thing sounds way too dumbed-down for third/fourth graders, and the bullying message is awful.

As a Sunday School teacher myself (I have taught all grades at this point, PreK on up to Fifth), I take it VERY seriously. Yes, I want the kids to enjoy themselves and think Sunday School is fun, but it is Sunday SCHOOL, and therefore we have a purpose. At the 3rd grade level, we have "3rd grade Bible presentations" in the fall and the kiddoes are in an intense Bible-learning class where they get REAL familiar with the Bibles all year long. Yes, the teacher tries to make it fun and have games, but we are serious about the learning. Our 4th graders are in with our 5th graders (my class this year), and we are always in our Bibles, every class. We have lots of fun and games, but do serious learning, too. Bible-based, Jesus-focused learning.

I would not be happy with that either. Minus the bully part, this sounds about the level that I did when I was a SS teacher for 3 and 4 YEAR olds, but even then the stories were told from the bible with the bible open. Having them memorize verses for SS is usually tricky, unless they focus on one verse for a few weeks, because you have all levels of abilities and commitment. Also if you have children who only live with one parent, they are often only there every other week, at most.

My 4th grader's class has them look up verses in their bibles during the lesson, discuss what they are reading about etc. They also do a worksheet and once in awhile a craft. They don't memorize verses, but then all of the kids are in the AWANA club at our church, so they are learning verses each week.

Edited by Homemama2

I think it's tough to get the level right and please everyone in Sunday school. Some parents don't want it to be anything but fun while others want it to be really rigorous. Kids come with radically different ability and focus levels. I would cut them a break, but that's just me.

But that bully lesson? That's absurd.

The slogan is fine, but back it up with real scripture! Have the children memorize the actual scripture reference that is the basis for the slogan. The bully drama has a good "message" attached to it. We are directed to pray for our enemies (again, though, attach a real scripture to this). But I got the same feeling you did. My "mama bear" instinct kicked in and I was like, "That's IT? Just pray? Sure...but what about my kid's safety?!?" Make sense? I think that the drama wanted to emphasize praying for your enemies, which is good, but there is too much to "bullying" than just that. Am I making sense? An 8yo being threatened with "being pounded" needs to be dealt with at the adult level FIRST (get the kid out of harms way?) and THEN the child can pray for the bully child. I might address this with the SS teacher and suggest adding real scripture references, actual Bible reading during class but would probably let the drama go and talk to my OWN child about bullying and the steps to take if he/she is being bullied. KWIM?

Stepping onto my soapbox . . .

The state of children's education in churches these days is absolutely deplorable. It is badly watered down with lots of entertaining bells-and-whistles added on that have the effect of distracting from the message. Between the insipid, developmentally inappropriate curriculum and the trend to hand out candy and/or cheap plastic trinkets constantly, it's a wonder our children learn anything about God. It's not a class anymore; it's a carnival. And, having worked for seven years in Christian publishing in addition to many years serving as Director for Sunday School at two different churches, I can assure you that much of what is happening in church children's programming is profit-directed.

You are right to be frustrated--there is NO REASON why children, even at a young age, cannot learn from the actual Bible or spend time in genuine prayer and worship. They do not need to be entertained into a happy relationship with God.

I highly recommend the book Follow Me As I Follow Christ, by Cheryl Dunlop. Don't worry--the author does not rant, and it is not an angry book at all. Rather, she lays out the principles of children's church education and gives a lot of practical how-to. The tone is conversational, direct, and sweet. Of particular value is her teaching on how to evaluate church curriculum and how to adapt church curriculum so that the message being taught is biblical, and biblically accurate.

I thought you meant Social Studies.

I'm with you and no, you are not being a "fuddy duddy."

I'd have been annoyed, too.

I do see children's church as a fun time with some catchy Bible stuff tossed in.

IMO, the youth groups, too, are often just social outtings.

It's supposed to be enjoyable. BUT also significant and to help one grow in their faith.

The lack of scripture is problematic.

Do people go to church/ synogogue/ a mosque to be entertained?

Personally, specific bible study groups with a more focused curriculum have been more effective in the growing of my chidren's faith.

We no longer view Sundays at a church as serious training ground. (Expecting it to be without actively and consistently working within leadership to implement change will only lead to frustration.)

*Millstones & Stumbling Blocks

The state of children's education in churches these days is absolutely deplorable. It is badly watered down with lots of entertaining bells-and-whistles added on that have the effect of distracting from the message. Between the insipid, developmentally inappropriate curriculum and the trend to hand out candy and/or cheap plastic trinkets constantly, it's a wonder our children learn anything about God. It's not a class anymore; it's a carnival. And, having worked for seven years in Christian publishing in addition to many years serving as Director for Sunday School at two different churches, I can assure you that much of what is happening in church children's programming is profit-directed.

You are right to be frustrated--there is NO REASON why children, even at a young age, cannot learn from the actual Bible or spend time in genuine prayer and worship. They do not need to be entertained into a happy relationship with God.

I highly recommend the book Follow Me As I Follow Christ, by Cheryl Dunlop. Don't worry--the author does not rant, and it is not an angry book at all. Rather, she lays out the principles of children's church education and gives a lot of practical how-to. The tone is conversational, direct, and sweet. Of particular value is her teaching on how to evaluate church curriculum and how to adapt church curriculum so that the message being taught is biblical, and biblically accurate.

:iagree: and when the focus is on the cool Christian rock band, finger foods, drinks with catchy names, while you chill with friends who may or may not have just gotten finished playing the wii who are wearing jeans and t-shirts - but do take about 20 minutes to talk about biblical truth - it's not a youth church service... it's a mixer.

(and it's intentional.)

I had to read a couple posts before I figured out you meant Sunday School ;)

I don't think your expectations are off. My kids go to Sunday School (Primary) every Sunday for 2 hours. Even at their young ages they read from the actual scriptures (they are all encouraged to bring their own set of Scriptures with them). There is no food involved or gimmicks. They get an age appropriate lesson (standardised from a manual/textbook so that every kid that age around the world gets the same lesson), they sing songs which are the equivalent of adult hymns for children i.e NO hip hop or rap or rock music.

They sometimes do crafts but most of it consists of colouring simple pictures that go with the lesson.

And yes our kids are expected to learn verses straight out of the Scriptures - the only catch phrases they learn are things like Jesus loves me, Love One Another and I am a Child of God :001_smile:

Basically they get a child's version of what the adults learn in Sunday School

Here is an example of a lesson that my 5 yo will recieve this year http://lds.org/manual/primary-2/lesson-10?lang=eng

We are LDS.

Edited by sewingmama

- Along the same lines, they had a "take-away" message that they kept quoting and that was part of their craft: "I won't let Satan steal cause I know Jesus is real!" (said in a "hip" tone with hand movements). For some reason, that bugs me a little, I would have preferred they learn a Bible verse. Am I just being a fuddy-duddy?

Anyway, I am certainly not going to complain or pull her out of the class or anything, but I was curious with others' SS experiences, and what you like or don't like. I think I am torn because on one hand I like how my daughter is obviously enjoying it, but at the same time it seems a little too "entertaining." But then again, they are just kids (3rd/4th grade)

I am also curious how much you ... well, care about the SS lesson and format. Are you pretty happy as long as the kids enjoy it and it seems theologically sound? Have you ever pulled kids out because you weren't happy with SS?

I don't think you are being a fuddy-duddy at all. I currently teach DS's second grade every other week at our church. The kids have some unstructured table time when they first arrive to color, draw, talk, etc. When I teach lessons, they all pull a Bible off the shelf and open to the passage for the day. I generally talk through a portion of the lesson in my own words, have the kids read one or two verses from the passage with me and discuss them, and sometimes read related verses from other passages for them as well. We have a memory verse that we read aloud together and discuss to make sure they understand it. If there's enough time we sing a song or two. Then they go to their tables to have snack, pray, and do the related activity pages.

My only complaint about the curriculum is that until 5th and 6th grade the curriculum jumps around the Bible each quarter and doesn't work through it chronologically. I would prefer it do a more chronological approach more than once.

I can (and have) survived the format you describe for a one week Vacation Bible School, but I would definitely pull my kids out if the Sunday school used the same format.

SS is apparently following PS and concentrating on making sure everyone has fun instead of actually teaching anything. This is the path everything seems to be following.

I'm a Cub Scout leader and I see the same there. The scout slogan is, "fun with a purpose." Parents and most leaders want the fun part but could care less about the purpose part. It drives me nuts so, no, I don't believe you are off base.

Apparently, I missed the memo that directs parents be their kid's best friend and to ensure their maximize fun while reducing responsibily as much as possible. Unfortunately, the kids that are enjoying it all now will be leaders later.

In regard to SS, I enjoyed the nuns and their willingness to correct any out of line behavior while driving the message home. We stuck to the program and we thought we were having fun too.

I favor the old way.

The slogan is fine, but back it up with real scripture! Have the children memorize the actual scripture reference that is the basis for the slogan. The bully drama has a good "message" attached to it. We are directed to pray for our enemies (again, though, attach a real scripture to this). But I got the same feeling you did. My "mama bear" instinct kicked in and I was like, "That's IT? Just pray? Sure...but what about my kid's safety?!?" Make sense? I think that the drama wanted to emphasize praying for your enemies, which is good, but there is too much to "bullying" than just that. Am I making sense? An 8yo being threatened with "being pounded" needs to be dealt with at the adult level FIRST (get the kid out of harms way?) and THEN the child can pray for the bully child. I might address this with the SS teacher and suggest adding real scripture references, actual Bible reading during class but would probably let the drama go and talk to my OWN child about bullying and the steps to take if he/she is being bullied. KWIM?

:iagree:IMHO, the bully lesson makes the mom seem unreliable as a safe person. And the catchy songs and cartoons etc are "okay" but there should at least be a Bible verse in there somewhere!! Especially at that age! I'm sure I had the Bible books songs memorized by that age.. Old and New Testaments. Not a fuddy duddy at all.. I'd stand up for the kids there or at least be glad you know the state of things so you can educate your children (about the Bible) at home. I love the xtb Bible studies(for 7-10's but they have others for olders) from The Good Book company because they do use a real Bible every day for their study.

http://www.thegoodbook.com/children/devotionals?p=2

ITA with you on all points--what you liked and what you did not like.

That there might be children in the group (and probably are) who don't come from churched backgrounds is no reason to not use actual Scripture. In fact, that would be even more reason to do so.

It would bug me just like it bugged you.

The Sunday school teacher probably did not choose the curriculum. It's either that curriculum or don't teach, just like your choice is either that curriculum or don't participate.

The small, minor details that you mention DO matter. I know exactly what you're talking about.

That little rhyme that you mention -- I won't let Satin steal 'cause I know Jesus is real -- that doesn't even make sense. The kids will likely remember the jingle, but they'll have no idea what it means.

I hate that Sunday school has become an entertainment hour which seems to be focused on being hip enough so that non-church-going kids will be tricked into thinking church is cool. I understand there is a need to reach the unchurched. But I'm certain that 99% of the kids at our church have attended church most of their lives and do not need such sugar-coated entertainment.

Wait 'til you see what they're doing in high school.

Edited by Cindyg

Thank you for this book rec. I just reserved it at my library. I was asked to sub in my kids' 1st and 2nd grade class and I'm thoroughly disappointed in the curriculum as well.

I think I would expect actual bible study at that age. Actually, at our church the 3-5 year old class has a bible verse for memory work every week. Something simple. This week it was "I am the vine. You are the branches" But the day they get it, the whole passage is read and talked about. For a craft, they glued tissue papers pieces on dead vines. Their sing was of the same verse. Pretty much every week is like that. I have helped out in the 9/10 year old class once and they were comparing Christian Music to Modern Music and also had memory work (a hymn), bible study, and devotionals. There was no craft. The is a Lutheran Church, by the way,

I do not like the message as told in the puppet show you are talking about. It would have bothered me a little but, to be honest.... But we are all different in how we address tough issues... and the littl "diddy" about Satan, that really makes no sense to me

I view SS as a social activity even when my kids are learning great things. I take it as my responsibility to teach my beliefs to my children and I wouldn't rely on a SS class to do that even if it was an excellent one.

And ITA with you.

OTOH, I don't think it hurts to have actual Scripture in class, do you?:)

I teach 3-4 year olds. What you described is basically what we do for preschoolers, although we don't have hip slogans - but the Bible verses that the little ones memorize are so short that they're not quite Scripture, either. "Jesus loves me," "God made everything." We're a NLT church, so we're not sticklers when it comes to interpretation :tongue_smilie:

And ITA with you.

OTOH, I don't think it hurts to have actual Scripture in class, do you?:)

No, it doesn't. But it doesn't really bother me if they don't because I have that part covered at home. Based on what my older kids said today I think they did. My little girl told me she put her hand in green paint and colored a boy's face green with her hand and then washed up:lol:

What kind of age grouping did they have? That sounds like what my youngest gets in the age 3-4 classroom. I think it is totally fine at that age.

It is a mix in our church at K level. By grade 2, they are learning catechism (Catholic church), actual bible verses and teachings of the church. They may still get a word search to take home but the crafts, puppets and songs are gone by the end of their K year.

If your church has the 4yo kids in with the 8yo crowd, I can see that. It is hard to please everyone. If most of the kids are 8yo, IMHO, that is doing them a big disservice.

g)

What I did NOT like:

- Although they learned a Bible story, I was disappointed there was no reading from the actual Bible. At no point were Bibles opened by anybody, including adults. No actual scripture was read or quoted.

Thanks!

What does that even mean? Sorry, it's a bunch of platitudes these days. No one really teaches the Bible to kids these days because they are afraid to have them actually have to work to memorize anything or learn anything that might be controversial in the world.

As a person who had been responsible for selecting curriculum and teaching and a parent I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately most people seem to be looking for entertainment. We just changed churches after being at the same very small very conservative church for 15 years. Even there it was hard to implement a serious curriculum. What we used was Generations of Grace and it systematically went through the Bible over three years. It was great and used real Scripture and was challenging. Unfortunately it was still difficult because the reading level of the children in my classes who were in ps were such that having them read from the Bible was painful.

We just movd our membership to a large church in our neighborhood. They cover Scripture in my daughter's classes but there is an emphasis on fun. I feel that SS is a lot like ps in that it's not the greatest learning environment so anything dd learns is kind of a bonus. I view it as a social hour and we make her attend church with us periodically to see what real worship looks like. Anything I want her to learn and retain I need to teach her myself.

After meeting with a couple church leaders about this very topic - the people in charge of SS curric. (not the same ppl I met with) chose this: http://www.kidmo.com/. Sigh. I hate it. Lack of volunteers was one of their reasons for not having any lessons (no kidding - they would put on VeggieTales or other Christian kid's movies, & I was mad about it), so I volunteered. Their system is to have many volunteers on a rotating schedule, so I've only seen/taught the KidMo curric. a few times, but "carnival" would accurately describe the way this curric. plays out. It's just a DVD that you follow along with, but it's so "high-energy" (i.e., jumping from one thing to the next rapidly & loudly) that I don't know how anyone could remember anything from it. It throws so much stuff at the kids in such random disorder that I don't know how their brains could pick out any one thing afterwards. I started plugging my ears when the kids are supposed to scream (when "give me some noise" plays on the DVD) and the kids started copying me & getting quieter. The DVD takes up the entire hour, so there isn't any time to have any "small group discussions" like the curriculum website talks about. Then, the real kicker is this: when the kids ARE participating by singing along or paying attention well, the teacher is to throw balls to them (a la ball-pit balls). This distracts them. The room is divided into teams and the balls = points, so whoever has the most points in the end wins. Did I mention I hate it? After teaching the last time, I decided I would wait until the end of each segment (song, quiz, etc.) to throw out any points.

For us, the solution has been to really beef up our own Bible studies at home & in our homeschool, and we started attending another church in addition to our old one. It has real SS. At the old one, I'd prefer to have the kids sit in the service with me (they do "kid's church" instead of a separate SS time... which I've grown to dislike).

OP, I'd think about addressing some of the church leaders about it.

I teach 3-5th grade SS and I don't do anything "fun."

I ask them to tell me what they learned in church today, we discuss a verse or Bible passage and learn it by heart, and I answer questions. I also teach them a bit of Greek & Hebrew. And I teach them about the church feasts and fasts. And I answer their questions. I drill them on the verses they should already know. I ask them questions and keep them on their toes.

I don't have a problem holding their attention. :001_smile: It is a small class, though-- easier to manage than if I had tons of kids.

OP, I think you are going to have to volunteer to teach, and make up your own curriculum or find a better one! if you want things to change!:D

What I mean to say is, I would be super unhappy with the situation you describe.

The state of children's education in churches these days is absolutely deplorable. It is badly watered down with lots of entertaining bells-and-whistles added on that have the effect of distracting from the message. Between the insipid, developmentally inappropriate curriculum and the trend to hand out candy and/or cheap plastic trinkets constantly, it's a wonder our children learn anything about God. It's not a class anymore; it's a carnival.

:iagree:

When I subbed for the 2-year-old class at our church, I was happy when I saw on the lesson that they were going to be learning "The B-I-B-L-E" song. Then I found out that the song was presented via dvd, and was not the standard children's Sunday School song, it was a rap. For 2-year olds. In a solidly middle-class, predominantly white church. I don't get it.

My 5th grader sits with me in the adult worship service. He hates the loud, screaming nonsense for the first 15 minutes of Sunday school when all of the elementary kids are together, and he hates that they usually end up playing dodge ball for the last 15 minutes. In between they do have some kind of a lesson, but it's not worth the distraction. Our pastor is a very good teacher, and I know that my son is gaining more from listening to him anyway.

I've heard SS teachers complain that the kids are bouncing off the walls for the small group sessions that are held after the large group scream fests. Can no one figure out that amping the kids up as much as possible and then expecting them to switch gears and sit quietly is just setting them up for failure? No wonder they have a hard time getting volunteers.

But I certainly don't want the job of director of children's programming, so I keep my mouth firmly shut!

What kind of age grouping did they have? That sounds like what my youngest gets in the age 3-4 classroom. I think it is totally fine at that age.

If your church has the 4yo kids in with the 8yo crowd, I can see that. It is hard to please everyone. If most of the kids are 8yo, IMHO, that is doing them a big disservice.

The class was 1st-4th grades combined.

OP

I could see that program being okay for toddlers and preschoolers, maybe.

I ran across an article that planned out CMish type of Sunday school exams. Here is a part of the article;

By the third grade all regular attenders (twice a month or more) should be able to:

• Tell in simple but understandable fashion the basic story of Jesus' birth, life, death and resurrection.
  • Tell in simple but understandable fashion the basic stories of Creation and the Exodus.
  • Be able to simply define the words Grace, Sin, Forgiveness, Holy, Prayer, Worship, Confession, Stewardship.
  • Tell in simple but understandable fashion the parables of The Prodigal Son and The Good Samaritan.
  • Tell in simple but understandable fashion at least one other New Testament story of their choice, and one from the Old Testament of their choice.
  • Be able to recite the Lord's Prayer and find Psalm 23.
  • Be able to name the first two books of the Old Testament and find them quickly, and additionally name three other OT books.
  • Be able to name the first four books of the New Testament and find them, and additionally name at least one other NT book.
  • Be able to sing at least one Bible song or short hymn/worship song of their choice.

Of course, you may teach them quite a bit else. But for argument's sake, let's say that if they aren't proficient in any of the above, then that 'quite a bit else' got in the way of teaching the basics! To put it another way, "If your third graders don't know the story of Jesus' death and resurrection, what else is more important to teach?"

It is from this article

http://www.sundaysoftware.com/rotation/evaluate.htm

OP, I think you are going to have to volunteer to teach, and make up your own curriculum or find a better one! if you want things to change!:D

What I mean to say is, I would be super unhappy with the situation you describe.

That's not an option right now. (unfortunately)

They have a FT staff member who is charge of Christian Education and several months ago the church made a big deal about how they were overhauling and improving Sunday School and and children's education in general and this new curriculum and format they are rolling out for pre-school through fourth grade. They don't even call it Sunday School anymore; it's billed as "Kids' Connection."

I'm sure they spent quite a lot of money on it too -- they purchased puppets, puppet theater, videos, etc, that come with the curriculum. The lesson plan is completely laid out with a specific game and everyhing and there is really no room for any individuality.

So it's definitely not the kind of situation where I could step in and say, "I'm the teacher now, and I'm not using this."

OP

i love our sunday curriculum for my kids! my kids are soaring with it & have learned so much scripture, virtues, and application. we also have "kidstuf" once a month where the entire family attends. on sunday, they meet as a large group for dancing, singing, games, and a video. it is all related to the virtue of the month, which is learning god's character. then they break into small groups divided by age & gender (ex. 2nd grade boys in one group) -- they open & study the bible and look at scripture and it's application through circumstances relatable to what may be happening in their lives. my kids love our church. sunday is so fun!! but it isn't watered down. it is changing my children in the best way possible.

having said though, my kids do need more. just as sunday service isn't enough for me, equally my kids need more as well. we carve out time each and every day for god to study his word. sunday worship & sunday school is simply in addition to that.

op, there are aspects of what you shared that may bother me. however, i think it is fair to attend several times to get a well rounded view. if you still dislike it, speak and talk about it to the coordinator. i'm sure they are open to explain and discuss the curriculum:)

I looked at the lesson plans (they want me to assist on a regular basis if I'm willing) and I see that it's Kingdom Quest curriculum, from KidsKount Publishing.

We are a Lutheran church, but I don't believe this is a Lutheran curriculum. (Like I said, they recently made a big deal about changing it. Until a few months ago, they always used Lutheran curriculum. I guess that wasn't "fun" enough. :glare:)

OP

I teach my Dd8's SS class. I only get them for about half an hour, but I try to use my time wisely. We memorize verses; talk about historical context; keep notebooks with the verses, word root studies, definitions, and activities; quiz over previously learned material; etc. The kids aren't protesting yet. I would not be happy with your current situation, but don't have any advice.

I looked at the lesson plans (they want me to assist on a regular basis if I'm willing) and I see that it's Kingdom Quest curriculum, from KidsKount Publishing.

We are a Lutheran church, but I don't believe this is a Lutheran curriculum. (Like I said, they recently made a big deal about changing it. Until a few months ago, they always used Lutheran curriculum. I guess that wasn't "fun" enough. :glare:)

OP

Jenny, the curriculum I mentioned (Growing in Christ) is a Lutheran one, albeit one with a conservative view of the Bible. The same publisher is premiering a mixed age curriculum this coming summer that is worth a look, but I think that Growing in Christ is very good, age-appropriate, well-written, engaging, and serious enough to be truly instructive without being over the top. I encourage you to complain about the change, and also you might consider getting some of the really good Bible materials from the same publisher to use at home. Concordia supplies the second largest private school system in the country, so they are superb at age-appropriate materials. I used their Voyages series for homeschooling, and thought it was outstanding. I believe that they have published a new series since then, but that Voyages is still available. I have not seen the new one, but heartily recommend Voyages for your consideration. It was quite meaty.

Jenny, sorry for my long post upthread about my own situation. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in thinking this way.

I'm sending Carribean Queen's link to the youth leaders at my church. I might look up some of the other curricula mentioned and send links for those, too. I'm not sure how that will go over, but if no one says anything things will persist as is.

I taught ss 20+ years ago in an AoG church (before I had any kids) and it was like that back THEN! When my ds was old enough to attend ss, I decided it was time to change churches. Unfortunately, that ss turned out to be worse (the kids would watch secular cartoons & MTV) so I decided he was going to sit with me, at least during Praise & Worship (then he would go into the older class that was taught by a friend of mine).

We eventually changed again then gave up (we are now between churches). We have yet to find a church as a whole that spends more than a few seconds actually reading from the Bible. I won't even let my dd set foot in ss classes (if you can really call it that) because all the girls her age do is sit around talking about boys & how to attract them, how they deceive their parents by wearing make-up/trashy clothes at school, dance provocatively to music that makes MY face turn red (and I am by far a prude :tongue_smilie: but wow who allows their kids to do that stuff in CHURCH for goodness sake?) and systematically bully the girls who are seen as "babyish" or "immature".

Oh yeah, these are 8-9yo's I am referring to. :glare:

So, to answer the OP's question, NO! I do not think you are being a fuddy-duddy! Someone has to put the Bible back in ss where it belongs and FAST!!

I have read all the replies and one thing comes to mind...Sunday school is not really biblical. plain and simple. We are given the responsibility in the Word to teach our kids and set the example. If we are shunting the responsibility off to the church, or if the church is not supporting parents in teaching their kids, something is amiss.

not trying to start an argument here or anything...it just got me to thinking. We have the same issues at our church. Our son chooses to sit with us most weeks. He only goes to children's church because his best friend does.

I have read all the replies and one thing comes to mind...Sunday school is not really biblical. plain and simple. We are given the responsibility in the Word to teach our kids and set the example. If we are shunting the responsibility off to the church, or if the church is not supporting parents in teaching their kids, something is amiss.

not trying to start an argument here or anything...it just got me to thinking. We have the same issues at our church. Our son chooses to sit with us most weeks. He only goes to children's church because his best friend does.

Hmmm. That is certainly an interesting point. However, here is the actuality ...

Our oldest child is going through Confirmation classes right now. We want to her to be able to receive communion and be confirmed, of course. Classes are during the Sunday School hour for several years. Parents are expected to either attend the class with the confirmand, teach another SS class, or attend adult SS.

So unless we hire a babysitter every Sunday morning for the next few years, there is little choice other to have our younger kids attend SS. (The only option would be to never have our kids go through Confirmation, OR to just drop her off at church and the rest of us head to Panera's! :001_smile:

I guess one could argue that a church should not offer confirmation classes, that the family should handle all that themselves?

Are you then suggesting that churches should not offer any religious education?

[it sounds like I'm being defensive, but I'm not at all. I just find this point very interesting and am just curious what people think about this. To me it would seem weird for a church to offer no religious education for anybody and no confirmation and communion classes, saying it's "up to the family to learn and teach themselves." But maybe I am misunderstanding you?]

I find it interesting that several people here are saying "We have similar issues, so our kids sit with us instead of attending Sunday School." In our church, SS and the church service are two separate things happening at two separate times -- in two different buildings, even.

Jenny